ADVERTISEMENT

Boat owners: Need some advice on a new battery for my Lund bass boat.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
I bought this 1988 Lund Boat in 2007. In it was some non-descript battery which I assumed would wear out in a short time, and which was far from brand new then. For the last 9.5 years I have run the boat, including one unscheduled trip thru the woods attached to my truck which you may have heard about. :)

I run the hell out of it every July for a week, and every April for a long weekend fishing with my PSU buddies at Lake Anna in VA. Other than that a few trips to the Potomac 20 miles away each year (more shakedown cruises for the bigger trips) At virtually every other moment of its existence, this battery is plugged into a BatteryTender maintainer in my garage.

Remarkably, the original battery, which must be at least 11 or 12 years old, still fires it up every spring, but I am convinced it is going to spit me out one of these days, and I would like to replace it BEFORE I have to pay some Canadian lakeside chiseler double the cost of a new one to get it up there.

I have a buddy who swears by Optima Blue-top marine starting batteries. I use a trolling motor a little, but not that much. Amazon has the blue-tops for about $175. Its an easy install that even I cannot screw up.

Recommendations?

Last edited:
I have a 2070 Roughneck with a 115/80 jet and 36v trolling motors (a total of 4 batteries). The Opti"s are nice but it is overkill if you are not cranking a lot or heavy on the trolling motor. Optis can go bad too, just like any other battery. (I used to have them in my 5th wheel)

Since have a battery tender on it all the time, it should last you a long time. (You might need to upgrade your battery tender if it is not AGM capable.)

A great source of small boat is a forum on "river smallies dot com." I am sure the discussion has occurred before on that site.

Reactions: demlion
I have not looked at Optima batteries in awhile but $175 seems really cheap. Last I remember the where $250- $350 a piece.

I have a 2070 Roughneck with a 115/80 jet and 36v trolling motors (a total of 4 batteries). The Opti"s are nice but it is overkill if you are not cranking a lot or heavy on the trolling motor. Optis can go bad too, just like any other battery. (I used to have them in my 5th wheel)

Since have a battery tender on it all the time, it should last you a long time. (You might need to upgrade your battery tender if it is not AGM capable.)

A great source of small boat is a forum on "river smallies dot com." I am sure the discussion has occurred before on that site.
thanks. will check it out. Those battery tenders are magic. I have a 3/4 ton Cummins Turbodiesel truck that has TWO Optimas in it, and the leads are right on the terminals to run to the Tender. It is on the tender all the time except when I drive it. for a daily driver that would be too much hassle, but I only drive the Big Beast once a week or so.

I bought this 1988 Lund Boat in 2007. In it was some non-descript battery which I assumed would wear out in a short time, and which was far from brand new then. For the last 9.5 years I have run the boat, including one unscheduled trip thru the woods attached to my truck which you may have heard about. :)

I run the hell out of it every July for a week, and every April for a long weekend fishing with my PSU buddies at Lake Anna in VA. Other than that a few trips to the Potomac 20 miles away each year (more shakedown cruises for the bigger trips) At virtually every other moment of its existence, this battery is plugged into a BatteryTender maintainer in my garage.

Remarkably, the original battery, which must be at least 11 or 12 years old, still fires it up every spring, but I am convinced it is going to spit me out one of these days, and I would like to replace it BEFORE I have to pay some Canadian lakeside chiseler double the cost of a new one to get it up there.

I have a buddy who swears by Optima Blue-top marine starting batteries. I use a trolling motor a little, but not that much. Amazon has the blue-tops for about $175. Its an easy install that even I cannot screw up.

Recommendations?
some non-descript battery..............it seemed to do well for you!

You can always go lithium ion marine battery. It might cost more, but I can guarantee you will be the only one on the lake with one :D

You can always go lithium ion marine battery. It might cost more, but I can guarantee you will be the only one on the lake with one :D
Isn't that the same kind of battery as this? If so, I'll pass.

Last edited:

Recommendations?
Meh. It's only $175, but I don't think you need to fall into becoming an "Optima-Cultist". For your use (3x per year) a WalMart evercharge will be fine.

You do know that the Optimas are basically overpriced "Interstates", both brands being owned by Johnson Controls, don't you?

Meh. It's only $175, but I don't think you need to fall into becoming an "Optima-Cultist". For your use (3x per year) a WalMart evercharge will be fine.

You do know that the Optimas are basically overpriced "Interstates", both brands being owned by Johnson Controls, don't you?
I'll be looking at them.

some non-descript battery..............it seemed to do well for you!
Really. I figure on 3 yrs for my marine batteries. Four if I m lucky. And they are on the charger when not being used. Seeing how I have 5 of those puppies I would love to get 10 yrs!!!
The ones in my boat now came from west marine

What's next, riding lawnmowers?

il_570xN.816816591_khmp.jpg

Reactions: step.eng69
Really. I figure on 3 yrs for my marine batteries. Four if I m lucky. And they are on the charger when not being used. Seeing how I have 5 of those puppies I would love to get 10 yrs!!!
The ones in my boat now came from west marine
Are you using a battery maintainer or a charger? Big difference.

I use the charger that is on board my boat. its suppose to be a 'smart' charger. I am pretty sure this is what I have.

http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/ma_batchcch_ad2.html

I dont know the difference between a battery maintainer and this, but would love to learn.
My battery is mostly a starting battery. It does not run much in the way oF continuous current use. But here is the difference :
http://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...intainer-vs-Battery-Charger-vs-Battery-Tender

Recommendations?
I just picked up three trolling motor batteries at Bass Pro in Harrisburg for $99 a piece. Cranking batteries were around $70.I believe their spring sale goes through next weekend.

They didn't hit me with a core charge so I took my old Interstates to the scrap yard and got $15 a piece.

Personally, I would't spend big bucks on a cranking battery if I was only going to use it a few times a year. I fish 50-100 days a year and just have an on board charger.

I just picked up three trolling motor batteries at Bass Pro in Harrisburg for $99 a piece. Cranking batteries were around $70.I believe their spring sale goes through next weekend.

They didn't hit me with a core charge so I took my old Interstates to the scrap yard and got $15 a piece.

Personally, I would't spend big bucks on a cranking battery if I was only going to use it a few times a year. I fish 50-100 days a year and just have an on board charger.
You guys have just about convinced me. Is your cranking battery sealed?

You can always get a separate trolling battery and have some sense of "battery back-up" if the starting battery goes down.

I have used Deka and Interstates and Excide's. You have me thinking of a Optima for my cranking battery :confused:

You can always get a separate trolling battery and have some sense of "battery back-up" if the starting battery goes down.

I have used Deka and Interstates and Excide's. You have me thinking of a Optima for my cranking battery :confused:
So as long as Optima sells 1 battery today....
:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT