ADVERTISEMENT

Board Help Requested: How Do I Ignore a Poster?

Woodpecker

May 29, 2001
I never thought that I would do this but I would like to ignore someone. Usually I consider myself openminded but it's gotten to the point for me that a certain poster only seems to post inane remarks (yes, yes, I know that I can't put myself on ignore). It's not important who and I don't want to make enemies so I won't reveal who it is. Anyway, how do I do it? How does it work? Will I simply not see anything that he/she posts? If someone responds to their post, will I see that response? TIA

I never thought that I would do this but I would like to ignore someone. Usually I consider myself openminded but it's gotten to the point for me that a certain poster only seems to post inane remarks (yes, yes, I know that I can't put myself on ignore). It's not important who and I don't want to make enemies so I won't reveal who it is. Anyway, how do I do it? How does it work? Will I simply not see anything that he/she posts? If someone responds to their post, will I see that response? TIA
If you click on the person's name, a box pops up. In that box, it lists various things about the poster. In that box, there is an option to "Ignore." Click on that, and you should be good to go.

I try really hard not to ignore people but, really, it makes the board more enjoyable. One thing: if you put X on ignore then when other people respond to X you don't see what or who they're responding to. So if you're reading a thread and some poster makes what seems to be a weird out-of-the-clear-blue response, it's a good possibility that he's responding to X. There's an option to read X's posts in specific threads; when you do this, he stays ignored once you leave that thread. That helps in getting things straight. Keep in mind that if you're choosing to ignore X then it most likely means that X is a pain in the ass and generally a lot of people feel the same way about X as you do. I'm guessing that no more than 10 posters here make up 90% of the "Ignore this guy" clicks by board members. Nobody, for example, ignores 'Ro.

Reactions: Ski and Woodpecker

Other posters have described the procedure; pretty easy once you get going. Basically, you won't see anything the ignored individual posts. You will see someone responding to one of their posts, but again, it would not have the quotes of the ignored poster. In the thread, you'll also get an opportunity to "show ignored content" with a click. If you choose to bring the poster back, it's again pretty simple.

But he's only used the word 'turd' six times so far today, and not one 'fart'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT