ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal just named the OW of the National Tourney

Actually, I do have a shot of the 'after'...
mMG27kL.jpg
Hahaha - had his phone out to take an entirely different picture but things changed in a hurry.

He has that “who farted” look

Here's another one with Mymar's dad. Give him credit, it looks like he's still shooting cell phone video here.

DHEJxdL.jpg

Reactions: diggerpup
Here's another one with Mymar's dad. Give him credit, it looks like he's still shooting cell phone video here.

DHEJxdL.jpg
Looks like he might have had Sour Bucknuts if you ask me. :rolleyes: But then I'm not a good judge. I think J Jaggers might have had the same sour Bucknuts.

Does anyone on this board remember Wade Schalles? That is Bo Nickel.

I saw Schalles wrestle as a kid when I grew up in Bloomsburg. He was like a kind of hybrid of Askren, Nickal, and Nolf for the era. I'm sure you know some of the stories, but he advanced the sport like the guys I just mentioned, too.

For doing what?

I trust you don't really have to ask that question. Any intelligent, objective wrestling fan knows that what Lee did is truly outstanding. If you want to argue that what Bo accomplished, especially given the circumstances, was even more outstanding, I might agree. But we should at least be gracious winners, and acknowledge the amazing performances of certain individuals, and Spencer Lee in particular.

Seriously... the sport is so much different now. Wrestling is way better than it was then.
Schalles would be so happy that you compared him to Bo Nickal... but even he would say he wasn't near the wrestler that Bo, or any of our Fantastic 5, are now.

And Wade Schalles, today, would be Bo Nickal. The great ones would be great in any era. That’s my point. They would be exposed to the same nutrition, conditioning, etc. and take advantage of it.

Actually, I do have a shot of the 'after'...
mMG27kL.jpg

Another great Post Pin Pic...

Nickal stars, freshmen rise and wrestling sets attendance records in wild finals

tw_logo.png

Travis JohnsonTrackwrestling
03/18/2018
Bo Nickal will likely think about a match with Ohio State’s Myles Martin for as long as he’s able to pull on a Penn State singlet.

The question is, which clash with Martin will endure in his mind as his career winds down?

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Po...&twSessionId=asrxrgvqdnbonow&postId=637370132

Spencer was outstanding. One could argue that he was more dominant against tougher competition throughout the entire tournament and as a true freshman to boot.

That said, everything was on the line when Bo Nickal took the mat against Martin. His individual championship. The team championship. Everything was on the line and most of the large Ohio arena was loudly against him and he rose to the occasion and seized the moment. He made history.

For that, he earned the OW.

kicking the shat out of grown men as a true freshman who was a HS state runner up last year.
Yanni D. didn't win a HS state title last year either. On a side note Lee is the 3rd PA wrestler to lose at states Sr. year and then win an NCAA title as a true freshmen.

Reactions: Dogwelder
And Wade Schalles, today, would be Bo Nickal. The great ones would be great in any era. That’s my point. They would be exposed to the same nutrition, conditioning, etc. and take advantage of it.
Greatest leg wrestler ever

You need to be careful when using team points scored as a criteria for determining the OW. Look at Vincenzo Joseph. His weight class is absolutely loaded. Nobody is scoring a bunch of bonus points against that field.You could easily make a case for him. He beat undefeated wrestlers in both the semifinals and the finals. His tactics and poise against IMar were brilliant and I hope that performance does not get lost in Bo’s heroics.
My post was about Snyder. HIS class wasn't loaded, and he plodded through it. It was him or Coon. Period. If you want to make a post supporting Cenzo, then by all means go for it... he had a great tournament in a brutal weigh class and took down the top two seeds. That WAS outstanding!

I posted that Snyder wouldn't have been a good OW selection, and your reply is, wrong, Joseph would too have. Ummm, okay. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I saw Schalles wrestle as a kid when I grew up in Bloomsburg. He was like a kind of hybrid of Askren, Nickal, and Nolf for the era. I'm sure you know some of the stories, but he advanced the sport like the guys I just mentioned, too.

Hey get this! I just heard from a friend. He was sitting with John Chapman's high school coach when Bo got his pin. Talk about deja vu all over again.

Not even close.
Beating IMar is about 10X the difficulty of beating Suriano.
Beating Hidlay is 20X.

Not sure about the Hidlay 20x, but you make a great point IMar, without VJ in his path is likely a 4x national champ, Suriano despite the talent hasn't done much, not many NCAA level trophies in his case.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
My post was about Snyder. HIS class wasn't loaded, and he plodded through it. It was him or Coon. Period. If you want to make a post supporting Cenzo, then by all means go for it... he had a great tournament in a brutal weigh class and took down the top two seeds. That WAS outstanding!

I posted that Snyder wouldn't have been a good OW selection, and your reply is, wrong, Joseph would too have. Ummm, okay. :rolleyes:

I know your post was about Snyder. I wasn’t saying he should be the OW, but to support your point you mentioned Cenzo as one of the few wrestlers that accumulated fewer team points. I simply used Cenzo as an example to point out that while the team points stat is certainly a legitimate consideration when determining how dominant a wrestler was, it can also be misleading.

Looks like he might have had Sour Bucknuts if you ask me. :rolleyes: But then I'm not a good judge. I think J Jaggers might have had the same sour Bucknuts.

if you watch that off the mat video on espn3 he's recording during the entire match....he didn't seem to flip out or anything after the Bo pin...he handled it pretty well all things considering

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT