ADVERTISEMENT

Blue White Weekend just isn't the same for me

giphy.gif

Good to hear. Exactly the kind of fan that needs to find a new team. JVP was a great man and a hero to many of us, but as they say, "God before country." I'll always put PSU and the players first.

No offense to Joe or the OP, but I'm trying to recall if Joe actually still did anything for BW games towards the end. Was he still doing radio or was he just up in a box? Even before the end, Joe was never a large part of BW weekend when he was doing commentary so I'm not sure how his lack of presence changes anything.

since the cowardly act by out BOT.

Joe was a huge part of the whole weekend for me. It's nothing against BOB or CJF, but I don't know if I will ever get pumped for the Blue-White game again.
You're taking some heat here Nate. I won't be going to the game. My interest in Penn State in general has waned. Still, we need to remember that a lot of people still have the passion and are looking forward to this weekend as we once did. I wish them blue skies, good times, and safe travel.

I knew I was going to get crushed, but don't care and fair you are right. The way they back stabbed that man ended a huge part of it for me.

Joe wasn't a part of BW Game? LMAO. Typical new age Penn State fan. Go watch the 78 game at Hershey. The guy was Penn State and Penn State was him.

I see some fans are starting to come back to the dark side. Guess ESPiN will be back on their TV next.

You're taking some heat here Nate. I won't be going to the game. My interest in Penn State in general has waned. Still, we need to remember that a lot of people still have the passion and are looking forward to this weekend as we once did. I wish them blue skies, good times, and safe travel.

It's just Nate just being the same drama queen, attention seeking self once again.

Reactions: Phil's Rug

Joe was a huge part of the whole weekend for me. It's nothing against BOB or CJF, but I don't know if I will ever get pumped for the Blue-White game again.

I sort of feel the same way about the entire season

I knew I was going to get crushed, but don't care and fair you are right. The way they back stabbed that man ended a huge part of it for me.

Joe wasn't a part of BW Game? LMAO. Typical new age Penn State fan. Go watch the 78 game at Hershey. The guy was Penn State and Penn State was him.

I see some fans are starting to come back to the dark side. Guess ESPiN will be back on their TV next.

So does that mean you dont get excited for regular season games too?

100,000 people will be attending so your view may not be shared

Soooo... Joe was retiring after that last season anyway. He was gone, and based on his health, probably wouldn't have lived much longer with or without the scandal.

Let's assume Sandusky never happened. Then I have to assume you'd feel pretty much the same way as you do now, because Joe's not there. You were a Joe fan, not necessarily a Penn State fan. And that's OK.

Now, far be it from me to defend the BOT, because personally I think they made just about every mistake in the book, let alone possible/probable shenanigans themselves. But in your case, don't blame the BOT. They may be guilty of a lot of things, but they're not the reason Joe isn't here right now.

I am not going to say with what level Nate is trolling or not, but I can say I feel a bit the same. I always knew life would go on after Joe, but the way things unfolded were so despicable it is hard to be 100% sold out for the school like I once was.

My kids have been raised blue and white, but today I am more open than ever to my kids going elsewhere. And I love Franklin, the kids, the staff. I will always pull for PSU athletics, oldest is still pumped to camp up there this summer with football and baseball teams, still dreams of playing in Beaver Stadium and Lubrano Park in 4 years, but it isn't the same. I do believe Franklin has us going in the right direction and we will be in the final four sooner rather than later.

In fact I think all three major sports are all on the upside. Just hope that the truth gets settled on the BOT and NCAA sooner rather than later so we can move beyond those who used our fine school to cover their transgressions.

Really? I think Nate at least seems to be somewhat sane from time to time.

Nate is good for comic relief with his off the wall posts begging for the attention he needs.

Miles posts like he is some sort of authority on football and wrestling. He is proven wrong time and time again but never admits it.

BTW it's MilesKaufman = 21Guns = nittanyrockman.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I am not going to say with what level Nate is trolling or not, but I can say I feel a bit the same. I always knew life would go on after Joe, but the way things unfolded were so despicable it is hard to be 100% sold out for the school like I once was.

My kids have been raised blue and white, but today I am more open than ever to my kids going elsewhere. And I love Franklin, the kids, the staff. I will always pull for PSU athletics, oldest is still pumped to camp up there this summer with football and baseball teams, still dreams of playing in Beaver Stadium and Lubrano Park in 4 years, but it isn't the same. I do believe Franklin has us going in the right direction and we will be in the final four sooner rather than later.

In fact I think all three major sports are all on the upside. Just hope that the truth gets settled on the BOT and NCAA sooner rather than later so we can move beyond those who used our fine school to cover their transgressions.

I think what Nate is trying to say is that, while we all knew Joe was going to retire soon, the BOT and the University denied all of us the celebration of an amazing career of service and accomplishment. We were all forced to watch Joe become a national symbol of scorn. And, we also thought with Joe's retirement, there would be a certain anticipation and excitement as to who would be his replacement. Instead, we had to listen as the media discussed if anyone would want the job. I still feel disenfranchised to a certain degree, but I'm always quick to point out how much respect I have for those who have played or are playing. Many of them made a decision to come when it might not have been the easiest.

So how is your Dad's wrought iron fence and your weird neighbor? Are your parents even still married? I remember when your father shared with this board that his wife (your mother) didn't think that he made enough money.

Only Nate understands the emotions that he has expressed. We are individuals and entitled to those feelings. As an older poster, I can tell you that my first PSU game was 1966. I went to the Outback Bowl in 2010-11. I am a big fan of JF. My niece went to High School with him and they remain good friends. But, while I will always be a Penn State Football fan, it does not have the "juice" for me as before. The new traditions will be for the younger generations, as it should be. Change is harder to accept as you get older. If you can understand that and combine that with the bullshit they pulled on Joe it makes sense. It doesn't make us anti PSU Football, just on a different level at this point in our lives.

Reactions: fairgambit

Life goes on. Look forward. I am 71 and live for today and the future. I love Joe like family but no one lives on earth for ever

Reactions: Willie Lump
Only Nate understands the emotions that he has expressed. We are individuals and entitled to those feelings. As an older poster, I can tell you that my first PSU game was 1966. I went to the Outback Bowl in 2010-11. I am a big fan of JF. My niece went to High School with him and they remain good friends. But, while I will always be a Penn State Football fan, it does not have the "juice" for me as before. The new traditions will be for the younger generations, as it should be. Change is harder to accept as you get older. If you can understand that and combine that with the bullshit they pulled on Joe it makes sense. It doesn't make us anti PSU Football, just on a different level at this point in our lives.
But my point is, no matter how Joe left, things were going to change. For a fanbase that hadn't known change in decades. Every other fanbase has been through coaching changes, and often frequently.

Sandusky could have not happened, Joe would have been celebrated and honored, and many people would still be comparing the new coach to Joe, complaining about tattoos and longer hair and how it's not like the good old days, how they miss Joe, and on and on and on. We as a fanbase were going to have to deal with this no matter what. Did the BOT actions make it worse? No doubt, for some people. But anyone who thought things were going to be smooth sailing when Joe left were mistaken.

People that are in this situation, may want to consider this. And I say it as someone who's been a fan since 1984. We had a very special situation, for a very long time. We should celebrate that, embrace it, cherish it, but realize it wasn't going to last forever. But also it doesn't have to mean the end. Things don't have to stay 100% the same to continue on. The values that Joe held continue on, not only in the football program, but the athletic department. Success with honor. Student athletes. I don't see that changing. We seem to have a team of students who study, who do community work, who stay out of trouble for the most part, are well spoken and represent themselves and the university well... they honor Joe every day when they continue that tradition. Yeah, the competition hasn't been up to snuff, but that will change in a couple of years--the recruiting has improved. We were supposed to be left for dead. We're far from it. And at a time when the program needs our support to get through this and get back to where we want it to be on the field, we have fans whining because it's not the same. The core values are the same, if you can't support that... were you a fan of graduating football players and competing at a high level, or were you a fan of short hair, no sleeve tattoos, and assistant coaches who never left (even the ones who needed to go)?

Some people like to play WWJD (What Would Joe Do) when it comes to coaching decisions, and how the program is being run... or rather, in the scheme of things, minor team rules changes. Or coaches on, shudder, social media. But when it comes to their own actions, they don't ask WWJD. Would Joe want us to stop supporting the players, and coaches, who are upholding the core values of the program, because he's no longer there and things are not 100% the same anymore? Would Joe want the actions of the BOT to ruin our love for the university, and the program? Would Joe want us to care more about his reputation than we care about the players and coaches in the program now? I think we all know the answers to those questions.

That's not to say we shouldn't care about setting the record straight, or uncovering what happened, or expressing our displeasure with what happened. But theres a time and place and method to do so. And it doesn't have to come at the expense of continuing to support the coaches and players we have who are following in the tradition and foundation that Joe laid. And it doesn't have to come at the expense of OUR enjoyment of the program, and OUR love for the university. Because if it does, then they've won, and Joe lost.

Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: PSU77sh

Joe wasn't a fan of Blue White at all actually. If he had his choice, they would not have had the event. But Joe realized the fans started to enjoy it, so he did not stop it.

Another moronic post. Good work.

I agree that for many of us Penn State football is on a different level than before and while our reasons may vary, most include the treatment of Joe. I think Nate's problem is posting in a negative way on the eve of the Blue White Game where so many are excited about the new squad. It's certainly his right to post his thoughts but they were, perhaps, better left unsaid.

I happen to be an alumni who currently holds four season tickets. As I said before, you are nothing but a "LOSER". DO US ALL A FAVOR AND JUST GO AWAY!!!!
Not to go all grammar crazy here...One is an alumnus of Penn State.

Soooo... Joe was retiring after that last season anyway. He was gone, and based on his health, probably wouldn't have lived much longer with or without the scandal.

Let's assume Sandusky never happened. Then I have to assume you'd feel pretty much the same way as you do now, because Joe's not there. You were a Joe fan, not necessarily a Penn State fan. And that's OK.

Now, far be it from me to defend the BOT, because personally I think they made just about every mistake in the book, let alone possible/probable shenanigans themselves. But in your case, don't blame the BOT. They may be guilty of a lot of things, but they're not the reason Joe isn't here right now.

I think the point is that we were denied the chance to celebrate Joe's life. Personally, I was prepared for Joe to move on. But I was expecting us to reload and be a part of the discussion. I certainly wasn't prepared for what has happened. We've had something wonderful stolen from us by our own BOT no less and until it is returned, things just won't feel right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT