ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational 11/19 on Flo

I know Barraclough is tough on top, but Messenbrink prob needs some work on bottom to go as far as he wants and expects this year.
Bottom is negligible this year with the new points system. If you’re a takedown artist like MM you can be ridden all day and still gonna win with the 3 point takedown

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and JimNazium
I’m not as knowledgeable about the Rutgers wrestling program as I should be apparently.
proud-of-you-so-meme.jpg

Bottom is negligent this year with the new points system. If you’re a takedown artist like MM you can be ridden all day and still gonna win with the 3 point takedown
Don’t tell Nagao that.

Reactions: RandyL
Bottom is negligent this year with the new points system. If you’re a takedown artist like MM you can be ridden all day and still gonna win with the 3 point takedown
It's less important but not negligible. Still shortens the match and drains energy.

I know Barraclough is tough on top, but Messenbrink prob needs some work on bottom to go as far as he wants and expects this year.
We got some guys from 157 - 174 at PSU/NLWC that can help him with that ....

Also like you said Claw is tough on top. He's long and knows how to use it to his advantage.

EDIT: Also Claw got 1+ minute on Levi last year also before the reversal. We're blessed to have him in the room, he's such a good partner and teammate.

Let's pump the brakes on this. It might end up true, but is way too early to tell right now.

Mesenbrink looks very good, also by far his toughest opponents this year were Cassella and Bearclaw. He had a hard time getting out from under Bearclaw, so he's not the 3rd best wrestler in the country right now.

He probably won't be tested until Amine on 1/19 -- and we know Amine will attempt to slow the match and suffocate his offense. After that, Caliendo on 2/9, Taylor on 2/18, and then Hamiti if they face at B10s.
This^^. We all like MM, but there is no evidence at this point to indicate that MM should be ranked ahead of more established guys like Amine, Hamati, Caliendo, or Rameriz.

This^^. We all like MM, but there is no evidence at this point to indicate that MM should be ranked ahead of more established guys like Amine, Hamati, Caliendo, or Rameriz.
Other than the Crookham Ranking Standard ...

The question will be whether Davis WANTS to go this year; its conceivable that looking ahead he might want to use a redshirt.
Lilledahl is coming in next year, I think this might be Davis' time to shine.

Keep in mind Mesenbrink JUST started his PSU folk practice. He is also literally the most coachable and aware kid.

I remember after his first match with Garvin at U20s where he didn't get the tech, he told Askren he was just swapping lead legs (or some strategy) next match since he noticed Garvin would struggle with that. 10-0 tech next match, no instructions from Ben at all.

Playing well with others. Results from winner's bracket only.

LBRDPSUXRESULTPFPANAMEUNIVERSITY
12516DAVISWTECHNICAL171WALDMANLONG ISLAND
1258DAVISWMAJOR111FARMERARMY
1254DAVISWDECISION42LUJANMICHIGAN ST.
1252DAVISWDECISION51BERGINCARMY
12516HOWARDWDECISION64CONCEPCIONGARDNER-WEBB
1258HOWARDWDECISION52STEENPENN STATE
1254HOWARDLMAJOR312BERGINCARMY
12516STEENWDECISION125WAGNERBINGHAMTON
1258STEENLDECISION25HOWARDPENN STATE
13316NAGAOWTECHNICAL150DAVISGARDNER-WEBB
1338NAGAOWMAJOR131HAMPTONMICHIGAN ST.
1334NAGAOWTECHNICAL172BRITTONRUTGERS
1332NAGAOWFAKK30BASILEA\
13316SHINKLDECISION1116KUNZN. COLORADO
14116BARTLETTWFALL70HALALBROWN
1418BARTLETTWFALL62FONGARORUTGERS
1414BARTLETTWFALL110TREANORARMY
1412BARTLETTWDECISION41KASAKPENN STATE
14116EVANSWDECISION114LUCIERBINGHAMTON
1418EVANSLDECISION23KASAKPENN STATE
14116KASAKWMAJOR111BROWNARMY
1418KASAKWDECISION32EVANSPENN STATE
1414KASAKWMAJOR80CARTERGARDNER-WEBB
1412KASAKLDECISION14BARTLETTPENN STATE
14916HEARDWDECISION42McMULLENLONG ISLAND
1498HEARDLDECISION57WILLIAMSARMY
14916PIERCEWFALL123HARRISGARDNER-WEBB
1498PIERCELDECISION35BUTLERRUTGERS
16516BARRACLOUGHWMAJOR122GAYERRUTGERS
1658BARRACLOUGHWDECISION118LEEPENN STATE
1654BARRACLOUGHWFALL41FISHMICHIGAN ST.
1652BARRACLOUGHDECISION58MESENBRINKPENN STATE
16516LEEWFALL30ROTHROCKBROWN
1658LEELDECISION811BARRACLOUGHPENN STATE
16516MESENBRINKWTECHNICAL172MORRISARMY
1658MESENBRINKWTECHNICAL256CASELLABINGHAMTON
1654MESENBRINKWFALL30WHITERUTGERS
1652MESENBRINKWDECISION85BARRACLOUGHPENN STATE
17416BORDENWMAJOR157RIX-McELHINNYN. COLORADO
1748BORDENLDECISION310PETITEBUFFALO
17416DUNBARLFALL14CONNOLLYLONG ISLAND
18416BARRWTECHNICAL183SWARTZARMY
1848BARRWDECISION95VANADIAMICHIGAN ST.
1844BARRWDECISION21NOLANBINGHAMTON
1842BARRWDECISION61KRANITZBUFFALO
18416KELLYLDECISION49DONAHUEN. COLORADO

No ones saying he should be ranked ahead of them right now since he hasn’t faced them.

I’ll go on record that he handles 3 of the 4 you mentioned. Hamiti will be a wild one
though..

I am interested where he will be ranked this week. He didn’t beat Fish, BearClaw did..Will rankers move him up ahead of Fish ?

Bottom is negligible this year with the new points system. If you’re a takedown artist like MM you can be ridden all day and still gonna win with the 3 point takedown
Some truth in that, but there will likely be a few close matches where a top guy may slow down MM's neutral offense and MM will need to get out from bottom. You can be pretty sure that any weakness will eventually be exposed against top competition.

Reactions: pish69
Some truth in that, but there will likely be a few close matches where a top guy may slow down MM's neutral offense and MM will need to get out from bottom. You can be pretty sure that any weakness will eventually be exposed against top competition.
you think he will take bottom,I dont maybe the other guy may pick top when he is down by 6 or 7?nope

No ones saying he should be ranked ahead of them right now since he hasn’t faced them.

I’ll go on record that he handles 3 of the 4 you mentioned. Hamiti will be a wild one
though..

I am interested where he will be ranked this week. He didn’t beat Fish, BearClaw did..Will rankers move him up ahead of Fish ?
Okay. But by the same logic, it's way too early to say that MM is top three in the weight class, which is what a previous poster suggested.

Where do we think MM will be ranked after this weekend?

Lilledahl is coming in next year, I think this might be Davis' time to shine.

Methinks Davis is not gonna be intimidated by the impending arrival of Lilledahl either.
I wonder which of the two is more likely to grow into 133.
From seeing the clip of LL vs Spencer (I know Lee is a bit short), LL is lankier than I realized.
Some more separation between them and Nagao seems desirable since Aaron has 3 yrs left I think.
Maybe Davis redshirts next yr if Lilledahl takes over 125.
Several ways it can go.

Final team scores:

Army 122.5
Penn St 108
Rutgers 100.5
Mich St 85
No Co 77.5

Okay. But by the same logic, it's way too early to say that MM is top three in the weight class, which is what a previous poster suggested.
People are just excited and projecting (like Willie’s Crystal Ball)..nothing wrong with that. If they saying he should be ranked top 5 right now, they don’t know what they talking about. If they saying he will be top 3 or 5 at end of year? I agree..obviously a long time between now and then, but personally I love what I see. Takedowns is name of game now and he’s an artist.

If he falls short of top 5? Won’t be do to lack of effort which is really what I like.

you think he will take bottom,I dont maybe the other guy may pick top when he is down by 6 or 7?nope
Agree, but that assumes that the other guy is down 6 or 7 points. If MM can really do that consistently against the top guys, great. But MM hasn't yet wrestled against top competition in folk, and that may be a tall order against stout guys who are proficient at slowing things down. Like Amine, for instance.

You may be right, it's just premature to make that claim now. We'll eventually find out.

Seton Hall Pírate licking his chops to lay down some clickbait
Nah...not about to. Presser was actually OK.

Just to put something to bed, people think I dislike Penn State wrestling. Totally not true, I don't at all. In fact, if I was going to introduce a fan to wrestling, I'd tell them to watch a Penn State dual. My issues with Penn State extends to exactly one person within the program, who is not within Cael Sanderson's chain of command (and certainly is not a wrestler).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT