ADVERTISEMENT

Big win for Pitt last night

Jerry

May 29, 2001
They're looking pretty good to go 10-2 and win their ACC division now...while we're stuck in the Suck. Stuck in the Suck. Has a ring to it.

True confessions: I'm a Penn State fan who doesn't hate Pitt, which may be a disqualifier for membership in the club.

Instead I grew up hating the SEC and (then) SWC. Never cared much about Pitt one way or the other. Just another easy W for a long time.

Then they got good for a decade or so starting in the mid-70's. Some great games between us during that period. A true rivalry. Just another good thing killed by the Suck.

Jerry you are showing your once a Marine always a Marine. I grew up a Pitt never hated PSU. Being a Pitt fan make me follow the Ted Lasso it is the hope that kills. I hope y’all beat Michigan. Good luck.

Reactions: Jerry
Pitt isn’t good. Their record is more a reflection on how bad their schedule is. With Clemson, FSU, and Miami all down the ACC is just horrible.

It’s looking like the ACC championship game could be Pitt vs Wake Forrest. What else needs to be said? ;)

No question, their loss to Western Michigan is a poser, and the ACC isn't good, as you say.

That's exactly why it would be so good to be in that conference now...playing the old familiars like Syracuse, Pitt, and Boston College...rather than a member of the toughest division in college football while getting screwed over on a regular basis by those who resent and wish to punish you.

They're looking pretty good to go 10-2 and win their ACC division now...while we're stuck in the Suck. Stuck in the Suck. Has a ring to it.

True confessions: I'm a Penn State fan who doesn't hate Pitt, which may be a disqualifier for membership in the club.

Instead I grew up hating the SEC and (then) SWC. Never cared much about Pitt one way or the other. Just another easy W for a long time.

Then they got good for a decade or so starting in the mid-70's. Some great games between us during that period. A true rivalry. Just another good thing killed by the Suck.
I felt the same way. Remember cheering for Pitt to go undefeated so they would face an undefeated Penn State game in the season finale. Broke my heart when I watched Dorsett run over, through, and around Penn State in his last season at Pitt.

I felt the same way. Remember cheering for Pitt to go undefeated so they would face an undefeated Penn State game in the season finale. Broke my heart when I watched Dorsett run over, through, and around Penn State in his last season at Pitt.
My dad Carnegie Tech grad loved Pitt. Never disliked PSU. Anyway I was at that game what great atmosphere. But the game the year before was really crazy PSU won 7 - 6 and the Pitt placekicker I think missed two fg. Please don’t take this next statement the wrong way but Pitt’s success finally let the national media realize how great PSU football was. And yes I believe the 1969 team should have won the NC and the 1999 team also.

Reactions: BarryPSU

Pitt is having a nice season. ACC however ain’t the Big. Have had season tickets since 1978 and Pitt/PSU was a great rivalry. Pitt ended the rivalry when it said no to Paterno‘s proposed all sports conference so it could get the then big payday from the Big East Basketball Conference and still play PSU as an independent on a home and having me basis (and collect the every other year payday when the game was played at the Beav). While I was surprised by it at the time, PSU made a good move joining the Big.

No question, their loss to Western Michigan is a poser, and the ACC isn't good, as you say.

That's exactly why it would be so good to be in that conference now...playing the old familiars like Syracuse, Pitt, and Boston College...rather than a member of the toughest division in college football while getting screwed over on a regular basis by those who resent and wish to punish you.
No thanks to the ACC. I think there may have been resentment among other league members initially but I don’t think that’s true any longer. I

Reactions: step.eng69
Pitt’s strength of schedule is absolute garbage as is the rest of the ACC. They lost to two bad teams while at relatively full strength. Their record is pure smoke and mirrors. Pickett is a decent QB benefiting from a mountain of experience. I’ll credit him/them for that.

I'm a huge PSU fan and watched the Pitt game last night.
They are a good team. Good speed, have some play makers and play hard. I enjoyed watching them. Fun team this year.

So where do we rank Pitt? They are decent but not a top 15 team. Top 20? Not sure. Top 25 ok. So somewhere between 20-25. On any given day they could beat a few teams that are ranked higher, but then they turn around and lose to really weak teams. They are ok but not all that.

Reactions: bison13
Pitt isn’t good. Their record is more a reflection on how bad their schedule is. With Clemson, FSU, and Miami all down the ACC is just horrible.

It’s looking like the ACC championship game could be Pitt vs Wake Forrest. What else needs to be said? ;)
Or NC State

Reactions: psu00

GFY

• Haha
Reactions: HailToPitt725
So where do we rank Pitt? They are decent but not a top 15 team. Top 20? Not sure. Top 25 ok. So somewhere between 20-25. On any given day they could beat a few teams that are ranked higher, but then they turn around and lose to really weak teams. They are ok but not all that.

They don't have what you'd call a signature win, but they've beaten a few decent teams.

The CFP committee has them #21 and AP #25. #20 or so seems about right to me.

They'll be favored to win their two remaining regular season games, and if they do that plus beat either Wake or NC State in the ACC championship, they'll be in line for a NY6 bid.

Nobody would have predicted that at the beginning of the year.

They don't have what you'd call a signature win, but they've beaten a few decent teams.

They'll be favored to win their two remaining regular season games, and if they do that plus beat either Wake or NC State in the ACC championship, they'll be in line for a NY6 bid.

They are "the tallest midget" in the room.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Pitt is having a nice season. ACC however ain’t the Big. Have had season tickets since 1978 and Pitt/PSU was a great rivalry. Pitt ended the rivalry when it said no to Paterno‘s proposed all sports conference so it could get the then big payday from the Big East Basketball Conference and still play PSU as an independent on a home and having me basis (and collect the every other year payday when the game was played at the Beav). While I was surprised by it at the time, PSU made a good move joining the Big.
PSU doesn’t really fit in the ACC and regarding the all sport eastern conference it was Syracuse that killed. Please don’t forget how PSU left the Eastern Eight basketball league. And y’all are right ACC football stinks horrible. Some of the worst QB in the NCAA.

Correct, the biggest difference is the improvement in the o-line, and missing 2 starters didn't help in the running game against NC State.

Correct, the biggest difference is the improvement in the o-line, and missing 2 starters didn't help in the running game against NC State.
I wouldn’t count Clemson out just yet but I think it will be NC State. Wake just has no defense but what a fun season for awake the Swiss being ranked in the top ten for the first time ever.

Yeah, Joe was ahead of his time with the conference proposal.

I agree with you on the history of what happened, and you can make a good case that on the whole, membership in the B1G has been a benefit to Penn State as a university.

But selfishly, I mainly care about football. And from that standpoint, it's been disastrous in my opinion. Right out of the gate it cost us a national championship in 1994, and that was a sign of things to come.

Joe himself regretted joining and all but said so later on. I don't have the quote in front of me, and it was expressed very indirectly, but the sense of his meaning seemed clear at the time.

Always pull for Wake, don't hate Pitt at all, and hope Clemson loses some more (especially to Wake).

If the ACC had better wrestling, I'd be happy for PSU to be in that conference.

Always pull for Wake, don't hate Pitt at all, and hope Clemson loses some more (especially to Wake).

If the ACC had better wrestling, I'd be happy for PSU to be in that conference.
I think PSU fits perfect in the Big 10. Pitt fits perfect in the ACC. I am also glad Pitt and PSU don’t play Somehow that game lost perspective

Have to give Pitt (and Narduzzi by extension) some credit. Their schedule blows, but you can only win against who you play, and they have no control over that. The loss is a bad one, but they learned from it and got better. I wish our team could get better as the season progresses, but it doesn't seem to happen under the current regime. Anyhow, if it's Wake and Pitt in the championship game, I could see Pickett being the x-factor there. That kid is one of college football's stories of the year.

The big question is, will any of the better programs come after Narduzzi this off-season? If not, have to assume he retires at Pitt, because he'll never have a higher profile than he does now.

What irks me is that our offensive line play is so poor, and Pitt's has looked pretty good. They've got two starters that are WPIAL kids that we really didn't push for all that much. Big misses for us, great luck for them.

Just one question. How many “super senior” players start at Pitt this year?

As a Pitt fan it has been a really fun season. Generally we are looking for a 6th win to become bowl eligible. I don’t understand the hate for Pitt. They are meaningless to PSU. I doubt there are more than 5 players that Pitt and PSU went head to head in recruiting and of those 5 PSU probably got all of them. I have no idea if Narduzzi leaves I wanted him gone after Western loss. My view from afar is he has done a great job developing a program and culture.

As a Pitt fan it has been a really fun season. Generally we are looking for a 6th win to become bowl eligible. I don’t understand the hate for Pitt. They are meaningless to PSU. I doubt there are more than 5 players that Pitt and PSU went head to head in recruiting and of those 5 PSU probably got all of them. I have no idea if Narduzzi leaves I wanted him gone after Western loss. My view from afar is he has done a great job developing a program and culture.
Shit on Pitt!!!

Replace PS with Pitt in your post, and you would not be able to differentiate!

Pretty much any team in a NY 6 game should be them pretty bad. They are not very good. Even with a terribly weak schedule they have two losses and have had several close games.
You do realize that of their 8 wins, 2 of them are by 7 points, another by 10, and the other 5 are by 3 touchdowns are more, right? Not sure what you mean by “several close games” lol.

You do realize that of their 8 wins, 2 of them are by 7 points, another by 10, and the other 5 are by 3 touchdowns are more, right? Not sure what you mean by “several close games” lol.
7 or 10 points is close considering how weak the schedule is. And how many were late TDs? Or come from behind wins?

Lol

I'm going to disagree with that.
You beat Nova and Ball State. Illinois and Indy are a toss up. You lose the rest, including Maryland. Illinois is better than both of the teams that beat you.

If you play cream puffs every week, you have no attrition. you’ve played a garbage schedule and lost to two very mediocre teams.

Reactions: joeaubie21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT