ADVERTISEMENT

Big money to be thrown at Manny

Do you have an understanding of the way a contract works? One party cannot just decide to alter the contract without the agreement of the other party. That is why your suggestion is idiotic.
I absolutely do understand how contracts work. Do you? What I am saying is you make Franklin's life miserable to a point that he quits if he doesn't get his act together. The day he quits WE ARE BETTER?

I absolutely do understand how contracts work. Do you? What I am saying is you make Franklin's life miserable to a point that he quits if he doesn't get his act together. The day he quits WE ARE BETTER?
That is even more idiotic than your first suggestion. How would you expect the team to respond while the Admin tries to make him miserable?
the_assclown_award_by_scaredgamer_dkngco-fullview.jpg

Diaz couldn’t stop a one dimensional OSU team from passing to Harrison and then couldn’t stop a one dimensional UM team from running the ball. lol. He is good but stop overreacting to him possibly leaving.
Nobody can truly stop MHJR...and his D gave up 13 pts through 3 1/2 quarters until JF made the usual dumb decision to go for it in our territory, trailing by one score. JF didn't play to the strength of our team -- by punting and pinning OSU deep. Anyone who complains about Manny's performance vs OSU and Mich this year (allowing a combined 44 pts) is just looking for something to nitpick. A DECENT offensive performance would have won at least one of those games, if not both. Manny is the best coach on staff and it isn't close.

I'm all for giving him a raise but his name isn’t even being mentioned for HC roles. What P5 team are we worried about stealing him as a DC?

Nobody can truly stop MHJR...and his D gave up 13 pts through 3 1/2 quarters until JF made the usual dumb decision to go for it in our territory, trailing by one score. JF didn't play to the strength of our team -- by punting and pinning OSU deep. Anyone who complains about Manny's performance vs OSU and Mich this year (allowing a combined 44 pts) is just looking for something to nitpick. A DECENT offensive performance would have won at least one of those games, if not both. Manny is the best coach on staff and it isn't close.
Agree Diaz is the best coach on the staff. The offensive philosophy is offensive and cost this team games every year.

It is a great idea. Due to Sandy giving him an obscene contract that he isn't earning, Kraft has very few avenues he can use to light a fire under Franklin. Franklin can be accountable or he leaves. Either way, WE ARE BETTER!
Except we aren't better. You expect something we've never been. Get over it.

Not sure what you're referring to but in 1986 Penn State was absolutely the best program in the country. We aren't that now but we were the best at one point. We could promise kids they would play for a national title at least once during their career and that promise wasn't just words. I guess some of you guys are young because the lack of knowledge about our history is astounding.

Reactions: beachouse
It's been almost 40 years since we won a title. We can use 30 if you want to count 1994 as we were almost certainly the best team in the country that season but 30 years since then we haven't been--so I get what you're trying to say but you're also wrong. We've been the best before. There's no reason that we can't get there again.

I’ve seen Manny’s name mentioned (by media) today with the Duke, Syracuse, Oregon State, and Houston jobs.

Do any of those seem realistic IMO? Nah, all dead end jobs in conferences with no future. Maybe Houston? He has ties to Texas and the south.

I’ve seen Manny’s name mentioned (by media) today with the Duke, Syracuse, Oregon State, and Houston jobs.

Do any of those seem realistic IMO? Nah, all dead end jobs in conferences with no future. Maybe Houston? He has ties to Texas and the south.
Any links? I've yet to hear anyone say his name. Wouldn't shock me if he was being discussed just haven't heard it.

I can't imagine Houston would want him. I think they'll go for the biggest name money can buy and the Big XII should be a job people want as it's winnable with Texas and OU leaving.

Syracuse, Duke and Oregon State would be used as a stepping stone job. Diaz failed at Miami--he's not going to get a great job 2 years later.

He didn’t get very long at Miami, but he wasn’t successful. He had the top 3 talent in ACC and still was only 21-15.

He may be a DC more than a HC or he may want another shot.
These guys ALWAYS want another shot. The Peter Principle is rarely adhered to. One guy would've been Bud Foster at Va Tech. Another example would be Joe's old staff...but many of them did not do so well as Head Coaches. Sandusky's career is similar to Foster's, without the tragic flaws.

Foster was excellent at being a DC, built his reputation and a very nice career and likely life . The ego that drives Jordan to the Wizards and so many others who don't know when enough is enough is part of how they get there in the first place.

If I'm Manny I survey the opportunities but don't rush back until the absolute right job comes up. He can leverage his success into more $ and recruits at PSU. Whatever his next HC move is, it cannot be a middling program. He will have one more big shot, then start to go down the ladder if he doesn't win.

This should be good for us in the short term.

Just mentioned in another thread that I am happy A&M hired a hc, as that opening worried me the most. If the PAC12 was still viable I would worry about Or St but at this point they are homeless looking at G5 status. If those are the only other openings, I have 0 worries.

Not sure what you're referring to but in 1986 Penn State was absolutely the best program in the country. We aren't that now but we were the best at one point. We could promise kids they would play for a national title at least once during their career and that promise wasn't just words. I guess some of you guys are young because the lack of knowledge about our history is astounding.
That was 37 years ago. Other teams winning national championships around the same time - Miami, Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Colorado, BYU, Pitt and Georgia Tech. Does anyone think those teams are getting back to the promised land or would you trade our position for any of theirs?

Point being, Franklin is winning at about the same rate as Paterno did so stop trying to say that we should be better than we are because we've almost never been better than we are.

That was 37 years ago. Other teams winning national championships around the same time - Miami, Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Colorado, BYU, Pitt and Georgia Tech. Does anyone think those teams are getting back to the promised land or would you trade our position for any of theirs?

Point being, Franklin is winning at about the same rate as Paterno did so stop trying to say that we should be better than we are because we've almost never been better than we are.
We should be better than we are. He's not winning at the rate Joe did in his prime. And we play a lot more games than we did back then. And This was the first time in our history Penn State has lost to both OSU and Michigan both three years in a row at the same time. That didn't happen even during the dark years.
You can claim the same level of success all you want. That is a fallacy and a joke. Franklin has been abysmal against the teams that matters. If you're ok with that good for you but this guy makes more money than Joe ever dreamed of and we haven't made a playoff and considered a joke in big games. We deserve better. Hopefully James can get it done and I wish him the best.

We should be better than we are. He's not winning at the rate Joe did in his prime. And we play a lot more games than we did back then. And This was the first time in our history Penn State has lost to both OSU and Michigan both three years in a row at the same time. That didn't happen even during the dark years.
You can claim the same level of success all you want. That is a fallacy and a joke. Franklin has been abysmal against the teams that matters. If you're ok with that good for you but this guy makes more money than Joe ever dreamed of and we haven't made a playoff and considered a joke in big games. We deserve better. Hopefully James can get it done and I wish him the best.
From 99-2004 (5 year span) OSU finished in the top 10 twice (40%), and unranked 3 times (60%). Since 2005 (19 year span) OSU finished in the top 10 all but 2 years (89%), in the top 5 all but 5 years (74%, while twice being #6). Tell me again how OSU during our dark years is equivalent to current OSU who is on one of the most dominant runs of program success in CFB history.

The days of getting a consistent top 10 program on a Paterno budget are long gone. It's time to get over that, the 80's and the Paterno era type coaches are done. Yes, maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle and win something significant occasionally that way, but if you want to consistently achieve Bama, UGA, and OSU levels of success, and based on all of the "fire Franklin"-ites out there that's exactly what you all want, you can forget about not spending big money. Franklin's salary is largely irrelevant to me. PSU and the boosters funding it make more money than I could dream of, they can afford it, and Franklin's performance is right in line with his pay relative to market.

Last edited:
It is a great idea. Due to Sandy giving him an obscene contract that he isn't earning, Kraft has very few avenues he can use to light a fire under Franklin. Franklin can be accountable or he leaves. Either way, WE ARE BETTER!

He was 10-2 which is ahead of Joes CAREER average. The team made more money than Joes teams ever made.
You should give back your paycheck.

Why wasnt Joe better? He only averaged 9-3 for his career. Pretty sad considering they were playing Army, Navy, Airforce, Syracuse, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, BC, Maryland , random Mac team and ND. That schedule is a joke. Joe even lost to Navy. Who coached the Toledo loss?

From 99-2004 (5 year span) OSU finished in the top 10 twice (40%), and unranked 3 times (60%). Since 2005 (19 year span) OSU finished in the top 10 all but 2 years (89%), in the top 5 all but 5 years (74%, while twice being #6). Tell me again how OSU during our dark years is equivalent to current OSU who is on one of the most dominant runs of program success in CFB history.

The days of getting a consistent top 10 program on a Paterno budget are long gone. It's time to get over that, the 80's and the Paterno era type coaches are done. Yes, maybe you can catch lightning in a bottle and win something significant occasionally that way, but if you want to consistently achieve Bama, UGA, and OSU levels of success, and based on all of the "fire Franklin"-ites out there that's exactly what you all want, you can forget about not spending big money. Franklin's salary is largely irrelevant to me. PSU and the boosters funding it make more money than I could dream of, they can afford it, and Franklin's performance is right in line with his pay relative to market.
I didn't mention not paying Franklin or having a problem with the football program getting all the money it needs. But I'm not going to sit back and pretend Franklin is the coach Joe was. He isn't. Give James everything he needs. Give football all the resources it needs to be successful. I think that's been happening more and more and that's per James.
That said he has failed against the teams we should beat some of the time. His coaching in those games has been questionable at best. No amount of excuse making changes these facts.

Reactions: Concealed Carry
He was 10-2 which is ahead of Joes CAREER average. The team made more money than Joes teams ever made.
You should give back your paycheck.
We also play more games today but don't let facts get in the way.

Why wasnt Joe better? He only averaged 9-3 for his career. Pretty sad considering they were playing Army, Navy, Airforce, Syracuse, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, BC, Maryland , random Mac team and ND. That schedule is a joke. Joe even lost to Navy. Who coached the Toledo loss?
You're a clown and not worth responding too.

You're a clown and not worth responding too.

You are a clown. You think Joe is the greatest coach ever but then you expect the next guy to win more. Totally moronic. The kicker is Joe averaged 9-3 for his career and you are crying about 10-2. Pretty dumb.

We also play more games today but don't let facts get in the way.

I factored that in. That is why I had Joe averaging 9-3. It is pretty simple. Take his total wins and divide by total games. That is the winning %. You then multiple that percentage by the current number of games per season.

Joe also started coaching when Pennsylvania had twice as much talent, no NCAA scholarship limits and PSU was not in the B10. Joe was playing Army, Navy, Airforce, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Temple WVU, Maryland, random Mac school and ND. Are you kidding me?

I factored that in. That is why I had Joe averaging 9-3. It is pretty simple. Take his total wins and divide by total games. That is the winning %. You then multiple that percentage by the current number of games per season.

Joe also started coaching when Pennsylvania had twice as much talent, no NCAA scholarship limits and PSU was not in the B10. Joe was playing Army, Navy, Airforce, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Temple WVU, Maryland, random Mac school and ND. Are you kidding me?
Franklin consistently plays much much weaker schedules on an annual basis than Joe ever did.

Won 2 national titles. Isn't that what the ultimate goal is? Played in a 3rd within 5 years. Who gives a damn about 10 win seasons, they can't get over the hump!

Reactions: PSUPride1
He plays the B10, OSU, UM which is tougher than Joes schedules.
No it isn't and it isn't close right now. The Big Ten is pathetically weak compared to the time Joe coached. Pathetically weak with emphasis. What he is playing now is weaker that our independent schedule during the 70s and 80s as well when we routinely played two good teams, two solid teams. Franklin would never hit 10 wins during an 11 game schedule.

They played Miami, WVU with Major Harris, ND regularly, Alabama often...the B10 sucks. Their independent schedule was much tougher than the slop they play in this conference.

2 tough teams, and they lose every year to both.

No it isn't and it isn't close right now. The Big Ten is pathetically weak compared to the time Joe coached. Pathetically weak with emphasis. What he is playing now is weaker that our independent schedule during the 70s and 80s as well when we routinely played two good teams, two solid teams. Franklin would never hit 10 wins during an 11 game schedule.
PSU's SOS is currently 52. Michigan is 53. OSU 42. Oregon is 59, Washington 23. Fl St 63, Duke 46, GA 58...

We are right in there on SOS

So if the final four is GA, UM, FSU, and Washington, Our SOS is worse than Washingtons but better than Michigan, Oregon and Florida State's.

of the coordinators involved, Iowa is 37, Oregon 59, LSU is 92,

And how do we hire a new coach after doing that? You don't think word would be out about "making" him miserable. Yea, great idea

They played Miami, WVU with Major Harris, ND regularly, Alabama often...the B10 sucks. Their independent schedule was much tougher than the slop they play in this conference.

2 tough teams, and they lose every year to both.
Exactly. Some of these clowns are just Joe haters or too young and arrogant to admit they know nothing of our history or intentionally play ignorant.
Joe's record in bowl games alone against all of the big boys was sterling as well.
You have morons talking about schedules and they don't list Nebreskas, USC, Texas, Alabama, Miami, etc,etc.
The guy was considered the best and with him we rose to the top. Hopefully Franklin can do the same.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Penn State was the Gold Standard of college football from the late 60s to the late 80's. Now they get participation trophies for 10 win seasons in a shitty conference...

And Paterno sucked...okay.

Penn State was the Gold Standard of college football from the late 60s to the late 80's. Now they get participation trophies for 10 win seasons in a shitty conference...

You nailed it.

PSU's SOS is currently 52. Michigan is 53. OSU 42. Oregon is 59, Washington 23. Fl St 63, Duke 46, GA 58...

We are right in there on SOS

So if the final four is GA, UM, FSU, and Washington, Our SOS is worse than Washingtons but better than Michigan, Oregon and Florida State's.

of the coordinators involved, Iowa is 37, Oregon 59, LSU is 92,

That might be the worst SOS calculator I have seen. Pure BS. We absolutely don't have a higher SOS than Oregon. It is laughably bad. Like really really bad. Completely detached from reality bad.

And how do we hire a new coach after doing that? You don't think word would be out about "making" him miserable. Yea, great idea
To cure a cancer you have to kill a few mice. Franklin is a good coach that need a lot of guidance to become a great coach. He won't get their on his own. The next step is taking away his power to hire assistants. It must start now given his lack of ability to learn from his mistakes. Franklin has proven to be a child. He needs a grown up to guide him. Hopefully Kraft is that grown up. We turn into Nebraska if he isn't.

I love Paterno (despite his mistakes) and agree he was one of the greats, but the late 60s to the late 80s was an era of East Coast creampuff schedules. The conference schedules since 1993 are far more difficult than the era you cite. And let’s not forget the two titanic mistakes of Paterno. The first mistake was joining a Midwest conference that to this day caters to two schools. It should’ve been ACC or remain independent. We were never given a fair chance in this conference. And secondly, he could’ve done more with Sandusky. That stain will be on the school for decades to come. Franklin is working his ass off to rebuild the image and the program overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT