ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 North - South alignment

Metal Mike

Jan 4, 2015
Looking at a map of the Big 10 and knowing that many favor a new alignment I suggest the following.

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

I believe each North School is north of the south schools. It breaks up the state of Illinois, but the current East-West breaks up the state of Indiana. The OSU-Mich game would need to be protected just like the Indiana - Purdue game is now. I know this has no chance but something to think about.

Looking at a map of the Big 10 and knowing that many favor a new alignment I suggest the following.

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

I believe each North School is north of the south schools. It breaks up the state of Illinois, but the current East-West breaks up the state of Indiana. The OSU-Mich game would need to be protected just like the Indiana - Purdue game is now. I know this has no chance but something to think about.
Illinois and Purdue instead of the Michigan schools? Interesting, very interesting.

Reactions: psu1969a
the problem with that used to be, it was assumed OSU and UM would win their divisions each year, play their protected game at the end of the season, and then play again a week later in the conference championship game. But I think those worries are long gone.

Reactions: AvgUser

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

Makes perfect sense which is exactly why it has next to no chance of happening. That's just how this conference rolls.

Folks need to stop thinking about conference divisions. There is absolutely no need to have divisions. Conferences need to create a balanced schedule home and home every two years based on the previous two years' performance. At the end of the season, the two top teams in the conference can meet in the conference championship game for the right to enter the 4-team CFP.

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

I'd switch Northwestern and Illinois if we're worried about balance

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Folks need to stop thinking about conference divisions. There is absolutely no need to have divisions. Conferences need to create a balanced schedule home and home every two years based on the previous two years' performance. At the end of the season, the two top teams in the conference can meet in the conference championship game for the right to enter the 4-team CFP.
Agreed. But it gets difficult to create a balanced schedule with the conference so large.

They actually might do that, courtesy of the boys at Fox and ESPN, but it won't happen until 2020 at the earliest.

So basically it's a swap of Mich/Mich St with Ill/Purdue.

Won't happen. They need to protect "The Game".

The could do a cross-division rivalry game. Though other than Illinois-NW and whomever we get paired with it would be a joke

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

So you want to put 6 of the top 8 programs in the conference in one division. Nice for OSU and us.

If balance is the object I feel like:
PSU/Ohio State/Michigan/Wisconsin need to be split
Michigan State/Iowa/Nebraska/Northwestern

ACC 2033 is the smart move long term for Penn State. Unless more eastern/midatlantic schools added, makes sense to align ourselves with a growing part of the country as well as better recruiting area a lot of which already aligns with our natural recruiting area.

Reactions: ralphster

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

Where do I sign the petition?

Although, I wonder if you looked at the wins over the last 3-5 years, what the balance would look like? In our South division, we have tOSU as the best program over this time, Penn State in the next tier (going beyond the last two years), and then its not that impressive after that point. The North has Wisconsin, MSU, and Michigan, and then NW, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota. The North doesn't really have any bottom feeders.

ACC 2033 is the smart move long term for Penn State. Unless more eastern/midatlantic schools added, makes sense to align ourselves with a growing part of the country as well as better recruiting area a lot of which already aligns with our natural recruiting area.

No one would leave the Big Ten for the ACC...no one. Ask Maryland

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

What are your trying to do, prevent PSU from every winning the South Division in Men's Basketball :)

Reactions: LineMountain
Or, replace the conference championship game with the first round of an 8 team playoff.

Rutgers would have to be in the South since their performance lately is South of Expectations. They really should be relegated to Conference USA and we elevate UCF to the Big 10.

Agreed. But it gets difficult to create a balanced schedule with the conference so large.

I did it in about an hour. Here is part of a post I made earlier today:

We get rid of conference divisions and we allow teams to have 2 protected rivals. For this exercise, I assumed that OSU's protected rivals are Michigan and Michigan State. I assumed that Penn State's protected rivals are Rutgres and MD. (This is what the BIG is trying to foist on us anyway). I wondered if a balanced strength of schedule could be created when the current strength of protected rivals is so different.

This means that conference schedules are made only one or two years ahead (if you want to do a home and home rotation) and based on the previous season's records, just like is done with the NFL. I based next year's schedule on the number of conference wins each team was able to record in 2017. If you look at number of 2017 conference wins, here is how it shakes out:

9 Wisky
9 OSU (with conf champ game)
7 PSU, MSU, NW
5 MI
4 PUR, IA
3 RU, NE
2 MN, IU, MD
0 IL

Without much effort, I was able to make a pretty balanced schedule with a target of each team playing against 41 BIG wins from 2017 (similar to Penn State's conference SOS this year). I first broke out the top 6 teams from 2017 and assumed they have to play 4 top 6 teams in 2018. Out of the top 6 teams, Wisky would play OSU, PSU, MSU and NW. OSU would play WI, PSU, MSU, and MI. PSU would play WI, MI, OSU, and NW. MSU would play WI, OSU, MI, and NW. NW would play WI, PSU, MSU, and MI. Michigan would play OSU, PSU, MSU, and NW. Sounds pretty balanced so far.

But would this method create a situation where all of the bottom teams get an easy schedule? Not really. I was able to fit every team into a place where they are playing against between 37 (Purdue) and 45 (Illinois) BIG wins from last year. Every top six team is playing against 41 wins from last year, except for OSU, which has to play against 42 wins. Even Purdue, with the "easiest" schedule, plays against OSU, NW, MI, IA, and NE. For comparison, Wisconsin played against only 29 wins this year in the BIG West, while Penn State played against 41 conference wins in the BIG East.

North is loaded... south ius cupcakeville and you know there'd be screaming.

NW and kNU into the south would help (I'm presuming kNU will return to its old self shortly and NW is always a PITA for everyone).

Love the proposed alignment but it isn't fair. A couple tweaks and it could be supported.

Just one thing... WE MUST have our rivalry game!!!! BTW, is that Rutgers or Maryland.. I forget which one it's supposed to be... lol

I'd rather that they do away with the divisions and cut all the out of conference games and start conference play from day 1. Try to round robin as much as possible, use formulas to break ties in the end, and have the top 2 teams standing to play in Indy. This year it was obvious OSU and PSU were the top 2 teams and should have played again in Indy.

No one would leave the Big Ten for the ACC...no one. Ask Maryland
Correct in 2014 may not be the case in 2033. In 2014 it looked like the ACC might not survive as one of the power conferences. I actually thought the B1G would be able to pull Virgina and NC out of the ACC but that is not the case anymore. The B12 will have some departures in 2024. With expansion and Clemson winning a football NC, the ACC's star is on the rise and rivals the SEC, and ACC revenues will likely increase. The picture may be very different in 2033.

Correct in 2014 may not be the case in 2033. In 2014 it looked like the ACC might not survive as one of the power conferences. I actually thought the B1G would be able to pull Virgina and NC out of the ACC but that is not the case anymore. The B12 will have some departures in 2024. With expansion and Clemson winning a football NC, the ACC's star is on the rise and rivals the SEC, and ACC revenues will likely increase. The picture may be very different in 2033.
In 15 years I doubt we even have conferences in FBS but we're in the Big Ten until the end. The ACC has 2 elite programs and the head coach of one of them jumped ship. Not buying this. The ACC really offers us nothing right now.

In 15 years I doubt we even have conferences in FBS but we're in the Big Ten until the end. The ACC has 2 elite programs and the head coach of one of them jumped ship. Not buying this. The ACC really offers us nothing right now.
Nothing right now? It's not even an option with TV rights forked over, which is why I am talking 2033.

Here's my idea to balance the conference:

Instead of east-west or north-south, sort teams by odd-even. Teams are ranked based on performance over the previous two years. Those with an odd rank number are in one division with home-and-homes, and the same for the even teams. The top two teams play for the right to represent the conference in the playoffs. Geography, rivalries, and political bias are irrelevant.

The conference by definition adapts over time as teams improve or decline.

Super easy to do, its done all across CFB. Like right now with Purdue and IU and in SEC with Bama Tenn and in ACC with Miami and FSU.

Here's my idea to balance the conference:

Instead of east-west or north-south, sort teams by odd-even. Teams are ranked based on performance over the previous two years. Those with an odd rank number are in one division with home-and-homes, and the same for the even teams. The top two teams play for the right to represent the conference in the playoffs. Geography, rivalries, and political bias are irrelevant.

The conference by definition adapts over time as teams improve or decline.

4 years for me, better measure.

Not to mention you would KILL the Hockey program and the baseball program would struggle to compete even greater than they struggle now. It's not all about football

this is exactly how it should have been set up from the beginning. Go look at the last 50 years and this is a very balanced set up. Go look at population base within 500 miles (which is where 90 percent of recruits go) of each school and it is very fair.

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

Here is Barry Alvarez's proposed divisions...Northwestern and Iowa are floater schools..years they are predicted to be above average they play in the southern division...all other years they play in the northern division . The other idea floated around was that Iowa and Northwestern split into Varsity and Junior Varsity squads..the varsity squad plays in the TTMPWINBTCG Division and the JV plays in the Fighting Alvarez Division. The alignment must be this way to maintain the Indiana-Purdue rivalry game which usually determines which team is bowl eligible.

Fighting Alvarez's Division

Indiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Purdue
Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern (JV Squad)
Iowa (JV Squad)

Teams that may play Wisconsin in BTCG Division
Ohio State
Penn State
Nebraska
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan St
Northwestern
Iowa

Reactions: NedFromYork

Absolutely 100% spot on!! Been saying this for at least 5 years. Divisions based upon geography make perfect sense for some of the non-revenue sports that play several games and where air travel isn't feasible. Divisions make absolutely no sense in a sport that only plays 6 road games per season. A super strong case can be made for eliminating them altogether in football and to a lesser extent in basketball. Divisions have bastardized the SEC for years. Until this season, the SEC East has not been a worthy participant in their Championship game for about a decade. It's a ridiculous anachronism that needs to be overhauled, especially in the era of the CFB playoff where the focus is on getting the best teams to play for a championship.

I did it in about an hour. Here is part of a post I made earlier today:

We get rid of conference divisions and we allow teams to have 2 protected rivals. For this exercise, I assumed that OSU's protected rivals are Michigan and Michigan State. I assumed that Penn State's protected rivals are Rutgres and MD. (This is what the BIG is trying to foist on us anyway). I wondered if a balanced strength of schedule could be created when the current strength of protected rivals is so different.

This means that conference schedules are made only one or two years ahead (if you want to do a home and home rotation) and based on the previous season's records, just like is done with the NFL. I based next year's schedule on the number of conference wins each team was able to record in 2017. If you look at number of 2017 conference wins, here is how it shakes out:

9 Wisky
9 OSU (with conf champ game)
7 PSU, MSU, NW
5 MI
4 PUR, IA
3 RU, NE
2 MN, IU, MD
0 IL

Without much effort, I was able to make a pretty balanced schedule with a target of each team playing against 41 BIG wins from 2017 (similar to Penn State's conference SOS this year). I first broke out the top 6 teams from 2017 and assumed they have to play 4 top 6 teams in 2018. Out of the top 6 teams, Wisky would play OSU, PSU, MSU and NW. OSU would play WI, PSU, MSU, and MI. PSU would play WI, MI, OSU, and NW. MSU would play WI, OSU, MI, and NW. NW would play WI, PSU, MSU, and MI. Michigan would play OSU, PSU, MSU, and NW. Sounds pretty balanced so far.

But would this method create a situation where all of the bottom teams get an easy schedule? Not really. I was able to fit every team into a place where they are playing against between 37 (Purdue) and 45 (Illinois) BIG wins from last year. Every top six team is playing against 41 wins from last year, except for OSU, which has to play against 42 wins. Even Purdue, with the "easiest" schedule, plays against OSU, NW, MI, IA, and NE. For comparison, Wisconsin played against only 29 wins this year in the BIG West, while Penn State played against 41 conference wins in the BIG East.

A few of us worked on something similar a few years ago. We learned that you cannot achieve truly equitable results if you hold onto "protected rivalries" - it just isn't possible. So you have to create a fluid system that does away with preserving traditional games that don't fit this new era.

North
Mich
Mich St
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota

South
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT