ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 hasn’t approached FSU per report

I can't see an academic fit between The Big and FSU. A money fit maybe, but not academic in any way, shape, or form.

The earliest now would be 2025. We just passed the deadline for 2024 on August 15.

On top of that they need to get 8 schools (IIRC) to vote to disband the ACC to get out of the GOR. Otherwise, they’re stuck in the ACC until 2036. They are reportedly just short of that and it’s part of the reason why they oppose Stanford and Cal being admitted (and why other schools want those 2).

Last edited:
If true, then the Big Ten office has lost the plot. FSU is the best program left in Florida. They can always take Miami as well, but to ignore FSU would be a huge mistake IMO.
I don't think the SEC has any interest in FSU either. Expansion isn't really about the quality of the football program. If we add Notre Dame, UVa, UNC and GA Tech are the 4 I think eventually join

The ACC has enough name programs that they could survive even if they are the clear #3 conference. Schools like Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC, VT etc. There are some historic programs there that just need the right coach to take off.

They shouldnt be looking to be 7th fiddle in the SEC or B1G, which is probably what will happen if they join.

Academics is what gets the presidents to approve it. It’s all about AAU status. FSU doesn’t have it.

If true, then the Big Ten office has lost the plot. FSU is the best program left in Florida. They can always take Miami as well, but to ignore FSU would be a huge mistake IMO.
I would tend to agree. FSU is a much better option than Miami (FL) with their fickle fan base. Academically FSU really is fine for the Big Ten, really the only think is AAU and it wouldn’t be surprising to see them end up joining that. They also are a large flagship state school very much fitting in with most of the Big Ten (Florida would be a somewhat better choice but FSU is still reasonable) most consistent than Miami (FL) is.

That all being said, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the Big Ten prefers UNC the most among any ACC school.

Oh, and I do think academics is a “thing” enough that it would prevent the Big Ten from inviting Clemson.

I would tend to agree. FSU is a much better option than Miami (FL) with their fickle fan base. Academically FSU really is fine for the Big Ten, really the only think is AAU and it wouldn’t be surprising to see them end up joining that. They also are a large flagship state school very much fitting in with most of the Big Ten (Florida would be a somewhat better choice but FSU is still reasonable) most consistent than Miami (FL) is.

That all being said, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the Big Ten prefers UNC the most among any ACC school.

Oh, and I do think academics is a “thing” enough that it would prevent the Big Ten from inviting Clemson.
There are two schools in Florida that the Big Ten would consider, UF and Miami. That is it. There is a very small list of schools the Big Ten would accept given its academics, research and athletics. The schools below are pretty much it.

Florida, Miami, Vanderbilt, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Stanford, San Diego State, Oregon State, Washington State. They would probably grant an exception for Boston College if Notre Dame insisted on it.

Everyone says academics matter, but then the Big Ten admits Nebraska and Oregon.

FSU is just short of AAU status. They are realigning/ consolidating their med school system which they think will put them over the line to be approved by AAU.

Public perception colors these aregiments. World university rankings (Times Higher Education) has the following US rankings-

Clemson- 182
FSU- 173

Penn State- 141
Iowa- 168
Indiana - 138
Nebraska- 363
Oregon- 241

Reactions: 91Joe95
Shanghai rankings of world universities-

Penn St- 101- 150
Iowa- 201-300
Indiana- 151-200
Nebraska- 201-300
Oregon- 401-500

FSU- 201-300
Clemson- 601-700

Depending on where you go the rankings are so all over the place and inconsistent that it’s tough to judge.

Reactions: fastlax16
The ACC has enough name programs that they could survive even if they are the clear #3 conference. Schools like Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC, VT etc. There are some historic programs there that just need the right coach to take off.

They shouldnt be looking to be 7th fiddle in the SEC or B1G, which is probably what will happen if they join.
Money...people keep talking about football and academics...this is all a business.

With all respect, says who?

EDIT- Not trying to be confrontational. I’m just curious to a source that says that.
There are no real ranking for schools. Most rankings are like recruiting rankings. Hot garbage. Those that qualify as AAU schools, have qualified or are close to qualifying are the best you are going to get. You need to look at their research portfolio, how much research money they bring in, faculty awards etc. The AAU is a guide. If you are a current or past member you are a top tier university. There are schools that are generally considered to be close (which also have the athletics) that I previously listed.

Well, if academics mattered Stanford would have been invited to our conference with Oregon and Washington. The truth is that only revenue generation matters. Stanford’s revenue generation potential is very similar to UNC.

Reactions: katchthis and psu00
There are two schools in Florida that the Big Ten would consider, UF and Miami. That is it. There is a very small list of schools the Big Ten would accept given its academics, research and athletics. The schools below are pretty much it.

Florida, Miami, Vanderbilt, Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri, North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Kansas, Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Stanford, San Diego State, Oregon State, Washington State. They would probably grant an exception for Boston College if Notre Dame insisted on it.

Miami gets Pitt level attendance.

Reactions: doctornick
Well, if academics mattered Stanford would have been invited to our conference with Oregon and Washington. The truth is that only revenue generation matters. Stanford’s revenue generation potential is very similar to UNC.
Academics matter to a small extent. Pretty much a floor a school needs to be above. Once they are “acceptable”, an invitation depends on being financially beneficial (which mostly is football value). Stanford ain’t there.

UNC is really good at the other sport that matters a little and actually has a real substantial fan base. People in North Carolina actually care about UNC. People in the Bay Area… well them might be aware that Stanford exists and plays some sports.

The Big Ten isn’t about to invite Rice either.

I respectfully disagree. It’s like the partial share argument- it’s a temporary fix. Eventually they’re going to want a full share and they frankly don’t bring any real value with them to justify that.
Agreed in the current revenue model, but the next shoe to fall will be tiered revenue sharing in the next contracts. I can see a base revenue of something like $20 mill per school and then x dollars per each x football viewership level. In that case you can make it work out.

And...
Oregon was not added due to their academic prowess or because they're AAU. Academics wasn't even considered. $$$
I don’t think “academics weren’t even considered” but Oregon was above the acceptable floor (and AAU helped) so they were fine to consider and were invited for their football prowess and revenue potential.

I’m skeptical that the Big Ten would invite Clemson though (for example) because of academics. I think they might be “below the cutoff” of academically acceptable

UNC in the Big Ten would be great. I like that they have wrestling too.

Notre Dame would fun just from the aspect of watching them lose 3-4 conference football games each year. But I don’t think they’ll ever join a conference where’d they’d be so far from the top. Too much pride.

No opinion on Florida State.

I don't get the Big Ten after Miami rumors. Yes, Miami has the TV eyeballs but Miami U just doesn't draw that mush interest and can't fill their stadium. I can understand going hard after ND and a couple of others.......Miami - nope

Last edited:
In this order
Notre Dame
UNC
FSU
Miami
NC St
Clemson
Stanford
Ariz St (screw the Big12)
Utah (see above)
UVA
BC
VaTech

I don't get the Big ten after Miami rumors. Yes, Miami has the TV eyeballs but Miami U just doesn't draw that mush interest and can't fill their stadium. I can understand going hard after ND and a couple of others.......Miami - nope
If Miami, Pitt, NC State or Boston College are the vote that pushes the tally to invalidate the ACC Grant of Rights agreement without going through the courts, the Big Ten will find a place and a way to make it work. At this point, more than half the league wants out, the legal eagles are thinking they need 10 or 12 to invalidate the agreement. The schools most likely to be left behind are the only things standing in the way of a no vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT