ADVERTISEMENT

Better rivalries than OSU-UM...

Tons of rivalries are better because rivalries need to be competitive to be good rivalries.

Will almost certainly be the highest TV rated noon game of the year.

Last edited:
Tons of rivalries are better because rivalries need to be competitive to be good rivalries.

You can't have an ASS. BEATING. :eek: like today and a one-sided series for some 15 years and say that um-Tosu is the best rivalry going.

Reactions: mn78psu83
An update: the game has been postponed until tomorrow due to River Plate fans attacking the Boca Juniors bus and injuring players. Yikes! Still doesn’t match the rivalry between the Blues and Greens:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

Belisarius saved the day. Next he defeated the Vandals. He had quite a change of fortune later in life, although some say that is apocryphal.

Last edited:
The fact that it was played at noon tells you something

It means that OSU and Michigan care more about tradition than money in this instance. Meyer has repeatedly said that OSU gets stuck playing too many night games, which is hard on the players.

OSU is probably the biggest draw in college football. The noon OSU Maryland game 2 weeks ago was the highest watched game of the day. https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...llion-throughout-fourth-quarter-and-overtime/

Through week 7 of this year (the best I could find), the two highest rated games of the year involved OSU. https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/18/most-watched-college-football-games-big-ten/

It means that OSU and Michigan care more about tradition than money in this instance. Meyer has repeatedly said that OSU gets stuck playing too many night games, which is hard on the players.

OSU is probably the biggest draw in college football. The noon OSU Maryland game 2 weeks ago was the highest watched game of the day. https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-...llion-throughout-fourth-quarter-and-overtime/

Through week 7 of this year (the best I could find), the two highest rated games of the year involved OSU. https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/18/most-watched-college-football-games-big-ten/

Tradition has nothing to do with it. If the networks wanted a 3:30 start it would have happened.

OSU v Michigan at noon had the highest rating of any college game this year. An 8. The next highest game was 6.7 for Alabama v LSU. Notre Dame v USC, a night game scored a 5.1. See http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/michigan-ohio-state-ratings-overnights-nd-usc/

When OSU & Mich agree on the time, they tell the networks when they are playing -- not vice versa.

LOL! No.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...he-ohio-state-michigan-game-through-the-years

The game has been played close to noon, for a long time. The fact that it may have been played at 1 pm on some occasions or after 3 once, doesn't detract from the general tradition of early afternoon games. Almost certainly 3:30 games would draw a bigger audience. Potentially night games would draw more (never played), but there would be potential weather problems which would make those games very problematic.

OSU and Michigan have decided on early noon games now to solidify the past tradition of noon or early afternoon games.

OSU v Michigan at noon had the highest rating of any college game this year. An 8. The next highest game was 6.7 for Alabama v LSU. Notre Dame v USC, a night game scored a 5.1. See http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/michigan-ohio-state-ratings-overnights-nd-usc/

When OSU & Mich agree on the time, they tell the networks when they are playing -- not vice versa.

Have you been to Ohio or Michigan? Your options are either jump off a building or watch football.

Wonder if most responses are a direct result of us having no true rival.

Since I served with so many who were either huge Ohio State or Michigan fans, I have gotten caught up in their rivalry.

Have you been to Ohio or Michigan? Your options are either jump off a building or watch football.

My father was a teaching golf pro, and I have lived in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati , Naples Fla., Bowling Green, OH, Santa Barbara Calif and have spent a significant amount of time in China. Of all these places, I have been Columbus is my favorite. Why don't you tell me what gives you the ability to judge Ohio as a nothingburger.

Will admit there isn't as much to do in Ohio as California and that is part of the reason for OSU's high ratings (as well as the comparative lack of interest in football in Los Angeles). However, I chose to leave California, and I am glad I did.

Greatest rivalry ever...Yogi Bear v Ranger Smith.
My father was a teaching golf pro, and I have lived in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati , Naples Fla., Bowling Green, OH, Santa Barbara Calif and have spent a significant amount of time in China. Of all these places, I have been Columbus is my favorite. Why don't you tell me what gives you the ability to judge Ohio as a nothingburger.

Will admit there isn't as much to do in Ohio as California and that is part of the reason for OSU's high ratings (as well as the comparative lack of interest in football in Los Angeles). However, I chose to leave California, and I am glad I did.

That doesn’t make sense. Ask Dave Jones. He’ll tell you that weather is a major factor in where people choose to live. No way you’d choose Ohio over California. ;)

Greatest rivalry ever...Yogi Bear v Ranger Smith.

That doesn’t make sense. Ask Dave Jones. He’ll tell you that weather is a major factor in where people choose to live. No way you’d choose Ohio over California. ;)

It is even worse than you thought. I went to my freshman year of college at UCSB and transferred to Bowling Green Ohio for sophomore year and degree. :)

Wow, you've lived multiple places in Ohio, plus Florida, and California. I can't compete with that. In my job, I travel often and have only been to every state and quite a few other countries. I guess I probably shouldn't compare states until I visit some more... of course they will have to add some first, but you get the point.

You do realize that your second paragraph essentially agrees with me?

For those that don't think OSU-Michigan is a rivalry. Fox just reported that this year's game was their MOST WATCHED CF GAME EVER ! Obviously fans outside of the PSU fanbase view it differently

Reactions: YorkLion
For those that don't think OSU-Michigan is a rivalry. Fox just reported that this year's game was their MOST WATCHED CF GAME EVER ! Obviously fans outside of the PSU fanbase view it differently

I realize that reading comprehension isn't a strong suit for a Michigan Man, but no one here has every doubted that the game isn't a rivalry. I just don't believe it is "the greatest rivalry in sports," as it is being billed. Hell, it isn't even the best CFB rivalry. As stated by others, Army-Navy, for one, dwarfs it in comparison.

I realize that reading comprehension isn't a strong suit for a Michigan Man, but no one here has every doubted that the game isn't a rivalry. I just don't believe it is "the greatest rivalry in sports," as it is being billed. Hell, it isn't even the best CFB rivalry. As stated by others, Army-Navy, for one, dwarfs it in comparison.

I doubt that most people would agree with your Army-Navy comparison. A New Yorker article from last week referred to a pas ESPN ranking ( https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sp...ports-rivalry-is-about-a-lot-more-than-sports ) stating:

"In 2000, ESPN compiled a list of the ten greatest sports rivalries of the twentieth century. The list covered baseball, basketball, and football—college and pro—as well as boxing, golf, and hockey. The rivalries included Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, the Red Sox and the Yankees, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens, and the basketball titans Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. At the very top of ESPN’s list, however, was the storied college football rivalry—dating to 1897 and predating the creation of the National Football League by a quarter century—between the University of Michigan and Ohio State. It was an apt choice. Well into the twenty-first century, that annual showdown remains so big, so bitter, so famous, and so intense that it’s known in sports simply as The Game."

Because OSU has stomped Michigan so consistently over the last 15 years, I don't think the rivalry ranks where it did in the past. However, it is definitely a top 5 college football rivalry and is definitely above Army Navy, which lacks the bitterness of OSU v. Mich. (Woody saying he wished he could go for 3 points following a TD at the end of the 1968 game against Mich when he was up by about 40 points and Harbaugh as qb guaranteeing a win against OSU and backing it up)

Personally, I hope that the OSU stomps Michigan for another 20 straight years and that the rivalry sinks further in the public's estimation.

Bringing this thread back on topic, strawberry vs grape jelly is another rivalry that many would say is better.

Obviously us PSU fans view it differently because we can read. They announced it was the most watched game in fox sports history. That's like being the most watched CFB game on the food network. Only 13.2 Million people tuned in to watch Karma get the best of Michigan. Meanwhile, 21.9 million homes tuned in to watch PSU beat Miami in 1987. Considering that the US population has grown by over 83 Million since then, you will understand if we are less than impressed. I guess reading comprehension isn't a strength of a Michigan education?

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/...me-is-most-watched-in-fox-sports-history.html

Reactions: Lion Lineage
What is a better rivalry than Ohio State/Michigan? Pretty much every rivalry out there. This one has become so one-sides it isn’t even a rivalry anymore. People now watch to see just how Ohio State will beat Michigan, not out of wondering who will win. In Trump terms, it’s now a fake rivalry.

Is it really that big of a surprise that 4 Ohio cities and one Michigan city had the highest ratings for the OSU v Mich game?

No, it’s not a surprise, which proves my point. It’s a Midwestern rivalry. Nothing wrong with that, but this notion that it’s The Game that the nation tunes into or watches in droves simply isn’t the case. People in the Midwest watch it in droves. Like I said, before Penn State joined the BIG this game wasn’t on the radar of most people outside of the Midwest. The BIG and The Game got exposure outside of the Midwest when their games were shown in the Northeast on a regular basis...because there was interest...because Penn State joined the BIG. Do you really think, that unless nationally televised, tOSU and Michigan would be on TV in the Northeast on a regular basis had Penn State not joined the BIG?

“Ehrlich said Penn State's argument for admission centered around increased TV revenue for the league, based on its pull of Eastern football viewers and legions of alumni around the nation. Penn State's much-mentioned profile as a research-based, land-grant institution one that mirrored the Big Ten schools was relative window dressing.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ssf/2013/07/welcome_big_ten_penn_state_20.amp

seeing how every news organization is trying to sell this game as “the best rivalry in sports,” I would like to start a thread for all those rivalries which fail to benefit from the OSU and UM hype machine, but are just as good or better

I’ll start - Clemson and South Carolina have been playing football since 1896 and every year since 1909.

Road Runner vs Coyote...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT