ADVERTISEMENT

Beta felony charges thrown out...

What am I missing here? These frat "brothers" hazed a kid to the point where he could die.

Then, when it was brought to their attention that he's at the point where he could die, the "brothers," because they were afraid of getting in trouble, decided to roll the dice and shut down the idea of getting the pledge medical help.

The pledge then died from the effects of the hazing.

From texts and video footage, this is all fact.

1. How is this not a perfect example of involuntary manslaughter?
2. Why are people happy that the "brothers" that hazed the pledge, then chose to let the pledge die rather than seek medical attention as was suggested, had the involuntary manslaughter charges dropped?

I get that "nobody made him (the pledge) drink," but hazings by definition are voluntary -- and so the fact that there are even anti-hazing laws on the books tells you that "nobody made the pledge [insert whatever here]" isn't a valid defense in hazing cases.

What do I have wrong here?
A lot.

LINK: Stacy Parks Miller plans to refile dismissed charges

Shubin takes a shot at Bream and PSU:

Shubin also likened Bream to Penn State administrators accused of inaction in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.

"Tim Bream is a Penn State administrator who like other Penn State administrators... failed to take action to prevent something tragic from happening," Shubin said.
Pay Shubin his $10,000,000 and be done with it, BOT.

SPM can do and say want she wants. She's a lame duck. None of these cases will go to trial during the last 4 months of her term.

The incoming DA will determine what happens if anything.

Because a lot of people on this board refuse to admit that anything related to PSU could ever be wrong. If they admit that these fraternity brothers did something despicable then what's next? Will they have to admit that Spanier et all also made choices that led to a sexual predator having access to the kids he preyed on for far longer than he could have?

At this point the people here seem to equate admitting anything negative about PSU means they are admitting that the school was at least partially responsible for what happened with Sandusky and the people here don't want to admit that.

These fraternity brothers did something reprehensible. We should be able to admit that.
This is not related to Penn State except for the fact that these idiots were in a fraternity at PSU. These peoe were guilty of crimes and will probable be convicted of some but I don't think people here are defending them or happy about this outcome because they attended Penn State - the manslaughter charges did not for the crime but many of the other charged did - these people did a lot of wrong and criminal things but they didn't kill the kid under the definition of the law no matter what The DA tries to throw at the wall to see what sticks.

What am I missing here? These frat "brothers" hazed a kid to the point where he could die.

Then, when it was brought to their attention that he's at the point where he could die, the "brothers," because they were afraid of getting in trouble, decided to roll the dice and shut down the idea of getting the pledge medical help.

The pledge then died from the effects of the hazing.

From texts and video footage, this is all fact.

1. How is this not a perfect example of involuntary manslaughter?
2. Why are people happy that the "brothers" that hazed the pledge, then chose to let the pledge die rather than seek medical attention as was suggested, had the involuntary manslaughter charges dropped?

I get that "nobody made him (the pledge) drink," but hazings by definition are voluntary -- and so the fact that there are even anti-hazing laws on the books tells you that "nobody made the pledge [insert whatever here]" isn't a valid defense in hazing cases.

What do I have wrong here?
He didn't have to go to the party or drink. He could have left after arriving and finding out that he had to drink. It's on him.

But yet nobody can name even one thing?
What you are missing is additional facts that came out during the preliminary hearings that were either not helpful to the prosecution's case or were outright exculpatory. For example, I had mentioned in a thread several weeks ago that the Trilogy girls brought a lot of alcohol to this party, that two of them were sitting at or near the top of the stairwell, that one of them vomited at the top of the stairs, that a Beta was summoned to bring a push broom to clean it up, and that our decedent reportedly showed up on the scene at precisely the wrong time, slipped on the vomit, and took the tumble which precipitated the chain of events culminating in his death. Until today, I had never seen that fact mentioned in ANY media account of the incident. why? Well, you can perhaps assign partial blame to the media for its laziness, but I believe most of it is due to the fact that Ms. Parks Miller had no interest in putting out any exculpatory facts, either in her grand jury presentation or in her media extravaganzas. The preliminary hearing introduced opposing counsel and the presentation of new and exculpatory facts. I think they illustrate pretty clearly that Ms. Parks Miller engaged in overcharging here.

Reactions: nits74 and 91Joe95
LINK: Stacy Parks Miller plans to refile dismissed charges

Shubin takes a shot at Bream and PSU:

Shubin also likened Bream to Penn State administrators accused of inaction in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.

"Tim Bream is a Penn State administrator who like other Penn State administrators... failed to take action to prevent something tragic from happening," Shubin said.

Someone must be worried about stealing millions from PSU, why else would he say that? It's like verbally returning to the scene of the crime.

Last edited:
What you are missing is additional facts that came out during the preliminary hearings that were either not helpful to the prosecution's case or were outright exculpatory. For example, I had mentioned in a thread several weeks ago that the Trilogy girls brought a lot of alcohol to this party, that two of them were sitting at or near the top of the stairwell, that one of them vomited at the top of the stairs, that a Beta was summoned to bring a push broom to clean it up, and that our decedent reportedly showed up on the scene at precisely the wrong time, slipped on the vomit, and took the tumble which precipitated the chain of events culminating in his death. Until today, I had never seen that fact mentioned in ANY media account of the incident. why? Well, you can perhaps assign partial blame to the media for its laziness, but I believe most of it is due to the fact that Ms. Parks Miller had no interest in putting out any exculpatory facts, either in her grand jury presentation or in her media extravaganzas. The preliminary hearing introduced opposing counsel and the presentation of new and exculpatory facts. I think they illustrate pretty clearly that Ms. Parks Miller engaged in overcharging here.
Wow. Wasn't aware of that. Clearly, whoever gave that puking girl alcohol should be charged with manslaughter, because the whole thing never would have happened if that girl didn't drink.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Oh, well this can't be, because I and many others were told that these women at the top of the steps potentially didn't even exist and certainly had nothing to do with the young man's fall by the boot-licking defenders of the corrupt and Prosecutorial Misconduct engaging State Prosecutors. Prosecutorial Misconduct including lying and acting otherwise unethically for the purpose of trying the case in the media and court of public opinion rather than proper due process just like we saw in the C/S/S and Sandusky cases.

Last edited:

Ok! Yes, this is the kind of info I was asking about. That is quite significant. Thank you, LB.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Please take this opportunity to remember that corrupt, publicly-granted power abusing lawyers-turned-politician Public Prosecutors, Judges, Government Officials and Government-Appointed PSU "Trustees" (with legal fiduciary obligations) have no Culture Problem.....and are not the raving, scumbag, narcissistic, self-dealing belly-crawling hypocrites, thieves, liars, charlatans and whores they appear to be.

That is the key. It is establishing a culture where it's not cool to be drunk.

That's how it is in Italy and France - wine is part of the daily diet but the greatest social faux pas that you can commit in those places is to be drunk. Intoxicated people are social outcasts.

Contrast that to Penn State (and every other college) where it is considered somehow a rite of passage to binge drink week after week, year after year.

American colleges right now are effectively gigantic training schools for alcoholism. Kids come in and in four years are turned into alcoholics, and then they battle drinking problems for the rest of their lives. I know some of these people.

And this has gotten worse -- 100 times worse -- since the advent of MADD and raising drinking ages to 21. The ever harsher laws didn't work. The outcome is worse. It's time to try something else.

Treat it as a culture issue, not a criminal justice issue. You fill up prisons -- what you have accomplished is to employ a lot of prison guards. Filling prisons doesn't change society.
Young people drinking too much goes on everywhere, including Europe. My daughter was a camp counselor this past summer, some of the other counselors were from England. In England they call binge drinking bangers where they basically drinking nothing but alcohol for a week.

Young people drinking too much goes on everywhere, including Europe. My daughter was a camp counselor this past summer, some of the other counselors were from England. In England they call binge drinking bangers where they basically drinking nothing but alcohol for a week.
Young people making bad decisions happens everywhere...who knew?

Reactions: jerseylion109
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT