ADVERTISEMENT

Best Yacht Rock

Mount Rushmore:
Don Michael McDonald
Sir Kenneth Loggins
Mr Christopher Cross
The Honorable Judge David Foster

Just hit the spotify channel.

Personally, I chill. So I tend toward things like James Taylor or, a personal favorite, Larry Carlton. I don't want the music to get in the way of the "scene". It doesn't really fit the bill of "yacht music" but I like it. BTW, years ago, they used to call this "beach music" in the carolinas.

Reactions: Bob78 and rudedude
Iv
I'm a huge Parrot Head and have heard Come Monday on Yach Rock Radio, but JB isn't typically considered "Yacht Rock." Coincidentally, Maragritaville is playing on my Pandora at this very second, and it IS my own damn fault!
Son of a son of a sailor, fins, come Monday, all are yacht

Sorry but every time I see the word yacht I now think of a student in one of my calculus classes. I made this optimization problem up and part of it was that you could take my yacht across the Chesapeake to a specific point. Well one of my kids asked, "what's a 'yat-chit' ?"

Sorry but every time I see the word yacht I now think of a student in one of my calculus classes. I made this optimization problem up and part of it was that you could take my yacht across the Chesapeake to a specific point. Well one of my kids asked, "what's a 'yat-chit' ?"
thank God they make GPS

Iv

Son of a son of a sailor, fins, come Monday, all are yacht
Never heard son of a son or fins on YRR. But I did hear Christopher Cross like 5 or 6 times today. Kenny L maybe twice. Listened since like 10 this morning. Sorry, my friend, but CC is the clear King of YRR.

Any band who ever used Michael McDonald as a vocalist -- be it lead or backing -- seems to get lumped into Yacht Rock. That's a long list. It includes Steely Dan, Toto, Kenny Loggins, Doobie Brothers, Steven Bishop, Christopher Cross and many others. I personally get a little bent out of shape when I hear Steely Dan described as "soft rock" -- nobody with the jazz chops and twisted lyrics of Becker and Fagan should be considered "soft" but it is what it is...

Never heard son of a son or fins on YRR. But I did hear Christopher Cross like 5 or 6 times today. Kenny L maybe twice. Listened since like 10 this morning. Sorry, my friend, but CC is the clear King of YRR.
Loggins beats Cross by 17 points. Deeper.

Not sure if this qualifies, but I heard that one of the dancers is Michael McDonald's cousin.

I personally get a little bent out of shape when I hear Steely Dan described as "soft rock" -- nobody with the jazz chops and twisted lyrics of Becker and Fagan should be considered "soft" but it is what it is...

My thoughts as well. I don't think Steely Dan sounds anything like the typical yacht rockers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT