ADVERTISEMENT

Best Wishes Tom Ryan

I think I can relate to his rehab. I once popped both hamstrings at both ends -- had to have both reattached at the groin and behind the knee. Was bedridden for 3+ months in a right angle cast -- cast from my toes to my hips with a bar cemented between my ankles to keep my legs 90 deg apart and prevent any lower-body motion.

Once his bones are sufficintly healed to start rehab, the first step will be manual range of motion work. Meaning a trainer will forcibly push his legs in various directions to extend his hips, knees, and ankles. There will be a lot of resistance to break through. At keast daily, build to 3x daily as he can take it. That month or so will be rough.

And mentally taxing because he'll be in a wheelchair that whole time. Once the casts come off, it's really hard to remain patient and stay off your feet, and continue to trust the process.

Then they can do the assisted walks, light weight work, and the like, that build him back toward independence.

Two things that will help him: he'll get a ton of in-person support from family and the team, and he'll know Sasso recovered from worse.
How did you pop both ham strings at both ends at the same time?

I posted this above, but I'll post it again to make sure everyone sees it. This is Ryan's email address at tOSU. I got it directly off their wrestling web site. We can all send him our best wishes personally.

ryan.998@osu.edu

Reactions: fronk71
Were you by any chance involved with the cleanup operation after the PSA flight went down in North Park? I heard some guys on the SDPD had a pretty rough time dealing with the after effects from what they saw.
Fortunately I was not. I did know officers who were there, though. Many of them were tasked with looking for and guarding bodies and body parts strewn throughout the large urban crash site.

• Wow
Reactions: creamery freak
Would it cheer him up to know he won the "whiniest coach in the B1Gs" award? j/k
I know you're joking, but go ahead and email him and let him know that the Penn State fans are wishing him well and a fast recovery. Bet you'll get a nice reply.

My attitude about coaches and wrestlers from opposing teams is that we are rivals, (but not enemies) only when we step inside the big circle on the mat. Outside of that circle, we are all brothers and sisters.

I know you're joking, but go ahead and email him and let him know that the Penn State fans are wishing him well and a fast recovery. Bet you'll get a nice reply.

My attitude about coaches and wrestlers from opposing teams is that we are rivals, (but not enemies) only when we step inside the big circle on the mat. Outside of that circle, we are all brothers and sisters.
I agree completely. I can’t imagine what he and his family are going through right now. Overall, I think he’s the second best head coach in the country. He recruits well. His wrestlers are respectful and focused. Many wrestlers progress over time. You can’t ask for much more.

Edit to say that he adds transfers for need, and not to hide coaching deficiencies like Michigan.

Last edited:

I know you mean well, but if I was in an accident and came back to my work email flooded with emails to sort through, I would not be excited. I wonder if tweeting him support would be easier for him?

Were you by any chance involved with the cleanup operation after the PSA flight went down in North Park? I heard some guys on the SDPD had a pretty rough time dealing with the after effects from what they saw.
The pilot's last words in the few seconds between the collision and crashing to the ground were, "Ma, I love you."

Last edited:
Muscle spasms are the worst! I once had one of my sartorius muscles start spasming and no matter what position I placed my leg in it would not stop. I was in bed at the time and by the time it finally stopped spasming I was on the floor
writhing in pain, hyperventilating and sweating. No fun! Last year I also had a months-long issue in the muscles behind my left shoulder/upper trapezius area. I assume I had damaged the nerves when I fell out of a commercial dumpster, landing on that area (long story!).

These spasms came and went at a regular basis for two months or so. None of the tests I had ever diagnosed the issue. One morning when I woke up the muscles started spasming severely and wouldn't stop. It took almost an hour for the spasms to stop. Brutally painful. Well, enough of my Organ Recital! Just know I can empathize with what you went through.

I am subject to back spasms that will keep me floorbound for three days due to some "irrational exuberance" with squats in my youth. I have to keep my back strong and flexible, but occasionally..

On the other hand, one episode saved my life, driving me to the ER when I was so pancytopenic that my blood was basically pink lemonade, so I can't really complain about them.

I'm just starting to have better days after getting run over by pickup as a pedestrian on Nov 2, 2022. Initially the 5 broken ribs and collar bone in 4 pieces was what was painful.
Having Vertigo for over a year was mentally difficult. Started to feel a little better about 2- months ago. My collar bone still has not mended but I do have decent range of motion. Trauma Ortho Dr. thinks having a bone graph might not be any better than what I have.
How quick a person's life can change.
Hopefully Tom Ryan has a speedy recovery.

I wish Coach Ryan - and all of you - speedy recover and good health. At the end of the day, not much else matters.

As for back spasms… I’ve had 2 had required an ambulance. Laid on the floor for a day or two, took muscle relaxers, peed in a jug, the whole bit. Couldn’t get up. Finally called for help. Both times steroids provided relief.

I know you mean well, but if I was in an accident and came back to my work email flooded with emails to sort through, I would not be excited. I wonder if tweeting him support would be easier for him?
Sure that’s a good option too. I’m sure glad to hear that he didn’t get hurt any worse than he did. He’s a very decent guy who actually adds a bit of positive infinity to the world.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Maybe a good time to point out that we give Ryan a lot of crap but also often point out that his wrestlers are among the classiest and most respectful in the sport. And he runs a very successful program.

Wishing him a full and speedy recovery.
Will Willie see these comments or are we still in the doghouse?

Let's go Ryan. Need you back in the winter at full strength so we can beat you at your best!

Looks like Tom swerved onto the shoulder of the highway and rammed the back of a parked semi. The force of the collision pushed the semi onto the highway. Both airbags deployed. Ryan was cited for "failure to control".

How did you pop both ham strings at both ends at the same time?
4b5b20836c870ccc2b584198d7da551b.jpg

Looks like Tom swerved onto the shoulder of the highway and rammed the back of a parked semi. The force of the collision pushed the semi onto the highway. Both airbags deployed. Ryan was cited for "failure to control".
Could have easily been a fatality, especially if he had been driving a low profile vehicle. Say what you will about large SUV's and full-sized trucks today, but they do afford you solid protection in a collision like this.

Could have easily been a fatality, especially if he had been driving a low profile vehicle. Say what you will about large SUV's and full-sized trucks today, but they do afford you solid protection in a collision like this.
Something must have distracted him. Hope he wasn’t texting.

I worked for a while for a company that built test equipment for auto manufacturers to do collision testing. It was a pretty interesting job. I might still be there but my wife just couldn’t handle the weather in the Northwest. When you get into the engineering and physics of an auto collision, the forces and acceleration rates are pretty scary.

Something must have distracted him. Hope he wasn’t texting.

I worked for a while for a company that built test equipment for auto manufacturers to do collision testing. It was a pretty interesting job. I might still be there but my wife just couldn’t handle the weather in the Northwest. When you get into the engineering and physics of an auto collision, the forces and acceleration rates are pretty scary.
He got cited for lack of control but not for texting while driving.

More likely he was speeding and then lost control while trying to avoid road debris or a massive car-eating pothole.

More likely he was speeding and then lost control while trying to avoid road debris or a massive car-eating pothole.
I came really close to causing a high speed accident one time when I swerved to avoid some big road debris. Fortunately the driver of the car to my right rear had fast reflexes and I just missed them. I probably got a middle finger salute afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT