ADVERTISEMENT

Best Italian restaurant in Philly's Italian Market area?

LB,
You've got the right recs at this point. Monsu, Villa Di, Ralphs and Marra’s... in Italian market...

All are great depending on what you’re looking for. If you’ll be in the area and want a cool bar for cocktails before or after I’ll also throw in a quick plug for Stateside. If you want the best RESTAURANT in that area (other han Palizzi social club which is likely not possible), I’d say Laurel but it’s french and it’s probably too South to be called “Italian market” (if so, Marras would be as well.). I’d also say Vetri cucina and Dante and Luigi’s, which are amazing Italian but not technically in Italian market.

Best of luck. Can’t really go wrong.

EDIT: I brain-cramped and wrote Commonwealth instead of Stateside. Corrected.
Marras isn't exactly the IM, it's on Passyunk, south of the IM.

Marras isn't exactly the IM, it's on Passyunk, south of the IM.
haha. I guess you missed the part of my message when I wrote that:

"I’d say Laurel but it’s french and it’s probably too South to be called “Italian market” (if so, Marras would be as well.)."

I would have but the idea of having the lobster piccata was just two tempting by wife had the veal francaise which was excellent.
I know. When I read the words "Lobster Piccata," that restaurant jumped up a ways on my list. May have to go down to the Italian Market twice. Just love everything about that area. There is NOWHERE on the West Coast that is remotely comparable to it.

I know. But the OP didn't indicate a budget. He only asked "Which restaurant in that area would you say is the best?"

Now he has a spectrum of options and can decide.
Money is not that much of a factor. I'm only back there a couple of times a year. Picking from among these options will be a lot more difficult than I thought.

Will be going back there soon for PSU commencement, etc., and am anticipating going down there for a meal. Which restaurant in that area would you say is the best? Palumbos is (I believe) closed. Have been to Ralph's and enjoyed it. Where else.
Also, I have been to Isgro's several times for cannolis and thought they were very good, but was wondering if another bakery might be as good or better.

Just saw this on Pennlive today. Don’t know anything about the restaurant but thought I’d throw it out there. ;)

Luxurious steak house used to be a Philadelphia bank: Cool Spaces
Updated 11:39 AM; Posted 10:25 AM

By Julia Hatmaker

jhatmaker@pennlive.com

The grandeur of Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House in Philadelphia cannot be overstated.

The restaurant, which has locations across the country, is decorated with swaths of lush red fabric, a glamorous two-foot spiral wine tower and intricately detailed plaster ceilings. It's luxurious at its home at the corner of 15th and Chestnut streets.

That decor is, in part, owed to the building's past as the home of First Pennsylvania Bank.

Built in 1924 by the acclaimed architect firm Ritter and Shay (who also designed the U.S. Customs House in Philadelphia's Old City), the building conveys a sense of power and importance. A three-story iron gate, the work of Samuel Yellin, guards the entrance. Upon entering, one cannot help but feel a little small. The ceilings are high, the columns marble and the staircases vast.

Del Frisco's took over the building in 2008, but kept much of the original architectural details, including the vault.

Heading downstairs, you'll see the vault's 3-ton metal door swung open. In the 1920s, this was where the safety deposit boxes were stored. At Del Frisco's it houses a few of the restaurant's private dining rooms, each of which has walls that highlight part of its massive wine collection (around 1,500 different varieties). Among the wine available is Screaming Eagle, a favorite of wine connoisseurs that can sell for upwards of $3,000 a bottle.

It's down on the vault level that you'll find photos of the building's past and blueprints from the 1920s.

There are two levels to the main dining room. The first is dominated on side by the bar, which has the U.S. Army Gen. George S. Patton quote "Do right and fear no man" emblazoned on it. The other side is filled with red booths and tables, where patrons can enjoy dry-aged steaks, hand-cut filet mignon, broiled lobster tail and more. Up the grand staircase sits another bar with a giant clock perpetually pointing at "5:00."

Action movie fans will recognize the restaurant from the 2011 Bradley Cooper film "Limitless."

You can take a mini virtual tour of the restaurant in the photo gallery at the top of this post or in the video below.

Inside Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House in Philadelphia
Del Frisco's is open for lunch and dinner from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays, 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturdays and 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays. Reservations can be made at delfriscos.com/steakhouse/philadelphia or by calling 215-246-0533. You can book one of the restaurant's private rooms at delfriscos.com/private-dining.

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House is located at 1426-1428 Chestnut St. in Philadelphia. For more information visit delfriscos.com/steakhouse/philadelphia.

47d_webimg_0352.jpg

a01_webimg_0281.jpg

96e_webimg_0166.jpg

ab3_webimg_0274.jpg

8a4_webimg_0313.jpg

More pics-

http://www.pennlive.com/life/2018/05/luxurious_steak_house_in_phila.html

http://www.pennlive.com/life/2018/05/luxurious_steak_house_in_phila.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Last edited:
Money is not that much of a factor. I'm only back there a couple of times a year. Picking from among these options will be a lot more difficult than I thought.
Proper board protocol requires that poster’s who solicit advice are customarily obligated to circle back and share “closure” with the Board.

So where did you eat?

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
You're absolutely right, PPB. My bad. We came into Philly on a red eye flight and had to get to State College that night, but we went directly from the airport to the Italian Market for lunch. I wanted to go to Villa Di for the lobster picatta, but my wife and in laws outvoted me, so we ended up at,Ralphs. I love the place, but would have preferred trying something new. We will definitely be going to Villa Di next time back, which won't be that long. Probably September or October. Thanks to everyone who provided tips. I have created a Word document with the various restaurants identified in this thread.

BTW, that steak house (Del Frisco's) in a former bank buildinglooks amazing. Would love to eat in the vault.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
You're absolutely right, PPB. My bad. We came into Philly on a red eye flight and had to get to State College that night, but we went directly from the airport to the Italian Market for lunch. I wanted to go to Villa Di for the lobster picatta, but my wife and in laws outvoted me, so we ended up at,Ralphs. I love the place, but would have preferred trying something new. We will definitely be going to Villa Di next time back, which won't be that long. Probably September or October. Thanks to everyone who provided tips. I have created a Word document with the various restaurants identified in this thread.

BTW, that steak house (Del Frisco's) in a former bank buildinglooks amazing. Would love to eat in the vault.
It’s nice! Even if you don’t eat in the vault, you can just about always check it out on your way to the restroom downstairs.

It’s nice! Even if you don’t eat in the vault, you can just about always check it out on your way to the restroom downstairs.
It is remarkable how many very attractive women hang out in that place. It is a beautiful venue in all respects.

It is remarkable how many very attractive women hang out in that place. It is a beautiful venue in all respects.

Most of those women are up for grabs. You either pay up front or pay later bc they’re all looking for money in one way or another.

Was at Del Frisco’s in the fall...unfortunately, it was part of a job interview so followed all the “standard” tips and ordered a steak salad. While it was a freaking awesome salad, I look forward to going back when I’ll actually order what I want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT