ADVERTISEMENT

Been asked a 1000 times before (Philly cheesesteak)...

Richmond_Nittany

Mar 18, 2003
...best cheese steak in Philly? I have not been back in years and I know there are others besides Pat's and Geno's. A friend here in Va is going to be visiting soon and wants the BEST! Your opinion please!!!

...best cheese steak in Philly? I have not been back in years and I know there are others besides Pat's and Geno's. A friend here in Va is going to be visiting soon and wants the BEST! Your opinion please!!!

First, don't even think about Pat's or Geno's. They are tourist traps, and serve terrible cheesesteaks.

Second, there isn't a consensus on the #1 cheesesteak. Every year or two there are blind taste tests, and a different location will win the competition. In that context, I'm going to recommend several locations, and your friend can pick one or more and will be quite pleased.

Beyond that, it depends where your friend is staying. Philadelphia is pretty big, and every neighborhood in the city has local favorites that warrant consideration. However, I wouldn't recommend many of those locations to a tourist that is staying in or around Center City.

Absent knowing where your friend is staying, here are some options. They are all excellent, so let him choose one that is convenient to where he's staying, or where he's touring (listed in random order):

Center City:
a) Jim's Steak
400 South St (at 4th St)
Philadelphia, PA
- probably the best crowd experience, especially at night. Parking can be somewhat tough, South Street is popular spot for strolling along, and a stop at Jim's is well worth it

b) Sonny's Famous Steaks
228 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA
- if your friend wants to combine visiting the historic area (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc.), this would be a great lunch stop or dinner stop. Like Jim's the lines can be pretty long (which in itself is an endorsement)

c) Steve's Prince of Steaks
41 S 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA
- this would be my recommendation if your friend was in the middle of Center City. This is not far from City Hall. Parking in this area is terrible, so I would only recommend this if your friend is staying near Steve's or was walking in that part of Center City.

d) Ishkabibble's
337 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
- these guys make an excellent cheesesteak. That said, they are a block from Jim's, and I would always recommend Jim's over Ishkabibble's. I believe they were the 1st place to come up with a chicken cheesesteak, but now that is available at most locations.

e) Campo's Deli
214 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA
- these guys make some of the more creative cheesesteaks. It's a combination deli and cheesesteak joint, which is a strength and a weakness -- depends what you want. They have more seating than many of the places listed. They are on the same block as is Sonny's (listed above). I prefer Sonny's, but if your friend wants to sit where they order the cheesesteak, this could be an excellent choice if your friend is touring or staying in the historic area.

There are lots of great places to get a cheesesteak that I haven't listed. I think one of the above, or one of the below, are that good that they are worth serious consideration by your friend.

South Philadelphia
a) John's Roast Pork
14 Snyder Ave
Philadelphia, PA
- their roast pork sandwiches are outstanding, and their cheesesteaks are every bit as good. If your friend is with anyone, I would recommend they each order one of the aforementioned, and then split them in half

b) Tony Luke's
39 East Oregon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA
- another great choice. Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork are the best options around the sports stadiums

Steve's The Prince of Steaks in the Northeast. They are the best!

As mentioned above, I would not send someone to a Philadelphia neighborhood for a cheesesteak, unless they were staying there/visiting there. Many people think Dalessandro's makes the best cheesesteak, but I wouldn't recommend a tourist travel out to the Roxborough neighborhood just for one of their cheesesteaks. Steve's makes a good cheesesteak, but it's not worth driving out to Northeast Philadelphia for. As listed above, Steve's Prince of Steaks has opened a location in Center City. I've never tried a cheesesteak from this location, but it should be on par with their Northeast Philadelphia location.

I hope the above helps.

Thank you!!! As i said...it has been ages since I've been to Philly (35+ years). Been in Virginia for 31 years now.

JIm's. South Street, in South Philly.

Had many a Friday/Saturday night end with a cheesesteak there when I lived in Old City - and that was 35 years ago. Nice to know it still comes highly recommended.

If you decide to go to Jim's I recomend getting it "top and bottom." They put cheese on both sides of the steak that way. Sounds ridiculous and it is.

Reactions: jjsocrates
First, don't even think about Pat's or Geno's. They are tourist traps, and serve terrible cheesesteaks.

Second, there isn't a consensus on the #1 cheesesteak. Every year or two there are blind taste tests, and a different location will win the competition. In that context, I'm going to recommend several locations, and your friend can pick one or more and will be quite pleased.

Beyond that, it depends where your friend is staying. Philadelphia is pretty big, and every neighborhood in the city has local favorites that warrant consideration. However, I wouldn't recommend many of those locations to a tourist that is staying in or around Center City.

Absent knowing where your friend is staying, here are some options. They are all excellent, so let him choose one that is convenient to where he's staying, or where he's touring (listed in random order):

Center City:
a) Jim's Steak
400 South St (at 4th St)
Philadelphia, PA
- probably the best crowd experience, especially at night. Parking can be somewhat tough, South Street is popular spot for strolling along, and a stop at Jim's is well worth it

b) Sonny's Famous Steaks
228 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA
- if your friend wants to combine visiting the historic area (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc.), this would be a great lunch stop or dinner stop. Like Jim's the lines can be pretty long (which in itself is an endorsement)

c) Steve's Prince of Steaks
41 S 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA
- this would be my recommendation if your friend was in the middle of Center City. This is not far from City Hall. Parking in this area is terrible, so I would only recommend this if your friend is staying near Steve's or was walking in that part of Center City.

d) Ishkabibble's
337 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
- these guys make an excellent cheesesteak. That said, they are a block from Jim's, and I would always recommend Jim's over Ishkabibble's. I believe they were the 1st place to come up with a chicken cheesesteak, but now that is available at most locations.

e) Campo's Deli
214 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA
- these guys make some of the more creative cheesesteaks. It's a combination deli and cheesesteak joint, which is a strength and a weakness -- depends what you want. They have more seating than many of the places listed. They are on the same block as is Sonny's (listed above). I prefer Sonny's, but if your friend wants to sit where they order the cheesesteak, this could be an excellent choice if your friend is touring or staying in the historic area.

There are lots of great places to get a cheesesteak that I haven't listed. I think one of the above, or one of the below, are that good that they are worth serious consideration by your friend.

South Philadelphia
a) John's Roast Pork
14 Snyder Ave
Philadelphia, PA
- their roast pork sandwiches are outstanding, and their cheesesteaks are every bit as good. If your friend is with anyone, I would recommend they each order one of the aforementioned, and then split them in half

b) Tony Luke's
39 East Oregon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA
- another great choice. Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork are the best options around the sports stadiums

As mentioned above, I would not send someone to a Philadelphia neighborhood for a cheesesteak, unless they were staying there/visiting there. Many people think Dalessandro's makes the best cheesesteak, but I wouldn't recommend a tourist travel out to the Roxborough neighborhood just for one of their cheesesteaks. Steve's makes a good cheesesteak, but it's not worth driving out to Northeast Philadelphia for. As listed above, Steve's Prince of Steaks has opened a location in Center City. I've never tried a cheesesteak from this location, but it should be on par with their Northeast Philadelphia location.

I hope the above helps.

Count me in the Jim's camp - my favorite in Philly for sure.

Jim's steaks is like Creamery Ice Cream for me. I don't know how they do it, but I've never tasted ice cream quite like the Creamery. Same with Jim's, and think it blows away any other cheesesteak that I've ever had.

Has your friend been to Philadelphia before? Have they had a cheesesteak in the city before? If not, ignore the others and take him/her to Pat's. It would be like going to Buffalo and not eating wings at the Anchor bar. Geez, the steaks aren't that bad...in fact they are decent, just not the best. However, I'll bet he would love getting his picture taken there with Pat's in the background and be able to tell people he ate a steak at the "original". After, walk up 9th street to the Italian market. I'd have him stop at Isgro's at 10th and Christain for some pastries and then just browse around the area. He should go to Sarcone's bakery for some Italian beards and some steak rolls to bring back to Virginia on the day they are leaving town for home.

Then, on day 2, I would take him/her to Jim's on South St.

Jim's on day 1. Duff's wings in Buffalo on day 1.

Center City:
a) Jim's Steak
400 South St (at 4th St)
Philadelphia, PA
- probably the best crowd experience, especially at night. Parking can be somewhat tough, South Street is popular spot for strolling along, and a stop at Jim's is well worth it.

Echoing this with my vote for Jim's. Wash it down with a local beer too. Back in the day, a steak with onions and provolone and a Dock Street amber was my go-to.

Italian Hoagie is the better sandwich. I would tell him to go to Delisandro's in Roxborough. It is two minutes off of 76.

Here you go: http://www.visitphilly.com/articles...=REFERRAL&utm_campaign=HOUSE-FORMATTED-BANNER

Pat's comes in at number 3...hmmm. I have been the only person on this board to defend Pat's and this seems like some sort of validation. I don't like Geno's at number 4 as I think they slice their meat to thick. Jim's at number 5 is also surprising as I thought it would fall into number 1 or 2.

I know some on here always preach about toppings other than cheese or onions but that is only for those that live in the area or have access to real steak sandwiches. Yes, that STEAK sandwiches, not cheese steak sandwiches. Once you've had several (10 to 15) really good steaks, then it's ok to venture out.

I was in South Philly today. Had a big lunch at Pietro's on South St. We had Pizza, Meatballs, Rigatoni, Lemon Chicken, and various salads and rolls. I love their sauce! Highly recommended.

Dalessandro's is worth the trip. And Roxborough is a nice neighborhood.
I lived in Roxborough when I was first married. We moved to Rhawnhurst I'm the Northeast. Our son had never been to Delassandro's. He played Sunny Hill developmental league at Gustine Lakes Recreation Center in Manayunk. After the game I took him to Delassndro's. He said the steak sandwich was nothing special but, he wanted to go there after every game. Later he moved to Manayunk and ate many Delassandro's.

I've been to Dalessandro's but I've never had the guts to try Chubby's across the street. Are they any good?

I've been to Dalessandro's but I've never had the guts to try Chubby's across the street. Are they any good?

Not as good as Dalessandro's, and not the old-time ambience. But the seats are more comfortable, and the cheesesteaks aren't bad.

About a year after they opened, they hired one of the main cooks at Dalessandro's. For a good while they advertised that he was on their staff. That was a good while ago, and I haven't checked if he's still working for them.

When Chubby's 1st opened, it was sacrilegious to many in the neighborhood to eat there. Over time, it became more acceptable. When Dalessandro's switched ownership, I think it became more acceptable to the old-timers.

Jims is OK but when the dream team is working the grille at Pats its them hands down. They got it all started withe the sliced ribeye and the work of art that is the amoroso bun. Tourist traps are usually so because they happen to serve the best food. Pats is the best unless you don't like thick cuts then it's Jims hash stile. Luke's is OK

Reactions: Agoodnap
Has your friend been to Philadelphia before? Have they had a cheesesteak in the city before? If not, ignore the others and take him/her to Pat's. It would be like going to Buffalo and not eating wings at the Anchor bar. Geez, the steaks aren't that bad...in fact they are decent, just not the best. However, I'll bet he would love getting his picture taken there with Pat's in the background and be able to tell people he ate a steak at the "original". After, walk up 9th street to the Italian market. I'd have him stop at Isgro's at 10th and Christain for some pastries and then just browse around the area. He should go to Sarcone's bakery for some Italian beards and some steak rolls to bring back to Virginia on the day they are leaving town for home.

Then, on day 2, I would take him/her to Jim's on South St.

The funny thing about this post is that the anchor's wings are pretty much crap. You want Duff's if you go to Buffalo for wings.

Reactions: aferrelli
Italian Hoagie is the better sandwich. I would tell him to go to Delisandro's in Roxborough. It is two minutes off of 76.

A bit more than two. You have to go up Green Lane hill.... Hard to believe my mom walked that hill twice a day when she was in HS (they went home for lunch), as she lived down in Manayunk almost to Main St.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT