ADVERTISEMENT

Because we don't yet have enough topics to disagree... one space or two after a period?

It was always two spaces after a period and one space after a comma. When I post here I always use two spaces after a period but when the post goes live it's always reduced to one space. I notice it when I go back and edit. After this sentence I'll use five spaces to see what happens. Well?? What do you see??
A lot of sites do this. I suspect it could be related to storage capacity. Elimination of one character millions of times over could potentially add up to some space savings. That's just my guess though, an ASCII character doesn't exactly take up a lot of storage space either so I could be way off base.

I'm a 2 spacer. That's how I was taught in typing class and it would be difficult for me to break that habit now.

Link: The Scientific Case for Two Spaces After a Period

I've always been a one space guy, but I was never really taught to type. I'm old enough that typing wasn't a standard part of the curriculum in high school, but an elective. When I learned to write by hand, I can't recall whether I was taught to leave the space between sentences larger (twice the size) than the space between letters. When I started using word processors in college, I think I just used one space because it was half the work of two spaces. Then again, two spaces would stretch out an assignment to more easily meet the X page requirement. Thinking about it, I would like to snap my fingers and suddenly become a two space person, but I don't think that is possible. Maybe there is shock therapy or waterboarding that would help me transition to double spaces?

Are you a one space or two person, and why?
Anyone who ever took typing with an old fashion typewriter in high school (though I personally learned how to type correctly in 3rd grade), knows that it is unequivocally 2 spaces after a period.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Woodpecker and LuvDaLions are the only ones that got it right. On a typewriter or when using a mono-spaced font, such as Courier, which simulates a typewriter, then two spaces. When using software, such as Word, phone apps, etc. then one space — the software adds extra space (roughly equivalent to an extra half space) between sentences.

Obliviax, Steve Jobs was definitely not a two-spacer. In fact, I’m nearly certain he led the single space charge for software. On an iPhone, using two spaces to end a sentence is a keyboard shortcut; the software removes the second space and adds the period.

Edit: Apologies to Still in State College and kgilbert78; they also got it right. Whether to use one space or two depends on whether a mono-spaced or proportionally-spaced font is being used.
That's way too complicated. Simply make it 2 every time, every machine, every software type.

Anyone who ever took typing with an old fashion typewriter in high school (though I personally learned how to type correctly in 3rd grade), knows that it is unequivocally 2 spaces after a period.
The key words being "old fashion typewriter". Nobody uses those things anymore. Today we use computers and word processing programs, so today it's unequivocally 1 space.

No. One space is for neanderthals.
I was taught two spaces in a high school typing class and always firmly believed that was standard. A little googling is now making me re-think. See below from wiki (other search results verified). I must say that I am a bit surprised.

The Complete Manual on Typography (2003) states that "The typewriter tradition of separating sentences with two word spaces after a period has no place in typesetting" and the single space is "standard typographic practice".[35] The Elements of Typographic Style (2004) advocates a single space between sentences, noting that "your typing as well as your typesetting will benefit from unlearning this quaint [double spacing] Victorian habit".[5]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing

I still think 2 spaces look better than one even with Word.
Where can we see that? Virtually everything online has a single space. As has been mentioned, posts on this board are adjusted to one space. As for printed matter, as has been explained, typeset proportional fonts are all single space.

The correct answer is..... It depends on your font. Modern (newer) fonts account for the space after the period and you don't need the extra space.

I have had this debate with others before. The standard now when typing for email social or business is one single space and as someone mentioned text two spaces auto places a period and contracts to one space.

Two spaces for me is normal and my habit from typing class in High School as well as some one also mentioned APA and MLA standards in Grad School stil call for two spaces.

I had my grad adviser go through papers and circle where two spaces were supposed to be in the papers. So she ended up teach us how to "fix" the MS Word program to not take out the extra space.

What it boils down to is that both are correct, I find it funny when a person on facebook "lectures" people that is now correct and standard to only use one space and that is what the writing world uses. She's not wrong, but I still chime in that the APA style for academic and professional writing still calls for two spaces which is also correct.

Most people don't even realize that auto correct changes to one space with with a period.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Two spaces. I do not feel compelled to change just because the rest of the world does.

I can also write cursive.

I never write cursive anymore (other than to sign my name) and even my ability to print neatly is slowly leaving me because I've been writing by hand so little for so long.

When was the last time you used a typewriter?? Next thing you know, someone will want a rotary dial for a cell phone....
don-adams.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95 and wbcincy

I've always been a one space guy, but I was never really taught to type. I'm old enough that typing wasn't a standard part of the curriculum in high school, but an elective. When I learned to write by hand, I can't recall whether I was taught to leave the space between sentences larger (twice the size) than the space between letters. When I started using word processors in college, I think I just used one space because it was half the work of two spaces. Then again, two spaces would stretch out an assignment to more easily meet the X page requirement. Thinking about it, I would like to snap my fingers and suddenly become a two space person, but I don't think that is possible. Maybe there is shock therapy or waterboarding that would help me transition to double spaces?

Two. Cretin.

I was taught two spaces in a high school typing class and always firmly believed that was standard. A little googling is now making me re-think. See below from wiki (other search results verified). I must say that I am a bit surprised.

The Complete Manual on Typography (2003) states that "The typewriter tradition of separating sentences with two word spaces after a period has no place in typesetting" and the single space is "standard typographic practice".[35] The Elements of Typographic Style (2004) advocates a single space between sentences, noting that "your typing as well as your typesetting will benefit from unlearning this quaint [double spacing] Victorian habit".[5]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing

SHEEP!!!

Reactions: 91Joe95
@Ranger Dan , I thought you were married. You should know when she's on her period, it's best to be more than one or two spaces away from her no matter how you slice or dice it.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I’m confident that there are many posters thankful for just about anything “following a period” :)

Put me down for two spaces after a period. Took one year of typing in HS, or one semester I forget. Electric top of the line IBM machines. asdfjkl; I was pretty good at it. Very important skill nowadays, sort of like being a good whittler. The whole idea behind typing class was you were supposed to get good enough at it that you never had to look at your fingers.

Font size 12

Period size 14 does wonders for papers!

Also Oxford comma that shizzz...easy A

Voice text (which I mainly use, not right now) doesn't use punctuation hence who needs any periods? I love run-ons!

Two. Unless I’m typing on my iPhone (as now). Then I may have so many typos that I’d expect inconsistency on how many spaces, how words are misspelled, or even spelled properly only to be revised into God only knows (or could guess) what by my dip$417 iPhone.

(Ahem, yes it’s the iphone’s Fault!). And see that! It changed the capitalization/spelling of iPhone every time until that last one in () then capitalized fault. WTH?!?!

But go with two spaces if you can. ;-)

Capitalization and spelling too I guess. ;)
Well played!

I learned two spaces as well and never questioned it, even in this thread until I saw kgilbert78 on the other side. (That guy is like a cornucopia of bizarre knowledge.)

Always seemed a style thing to me but I figured all the single-spacers we’re saving space in articles and just loosely-goosey w a rule that didn’t impact meaning.

Then my eyes fell on LuvDALions’ post about the Chicago manual of style calling for it. So I checked another style manual I’ve used all my professional life, which referred to the Chicago manual... hmph! Not sure I can change or whether I even want to try. Seems a classic distinction without meaning or substance. Like, who cares? But now I know I’ve been wrong on that. Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT