ADVERTISEMENT

Be BEAR Aware! Man mauled and dies in West Yellowstone Grizzly attack!

about the only position worse than being in a pissed off grizzly's path would be being in the same position with a polar bear
Went fly fishing in Alaska last summer. Was told many times of the saying “If it’s black, fight back. If it’s brown, lay down. If it’s white, good night”

I had bear spray and a .357 loaded with hard cast bullets on my chest. Under gunned for sure but the best I had for a short notice trip. Plan on a return trip and I really want a .454 casull but large bore revolvers are almost impossible to find right now.
Always had to be on alert and making as much noise as possible rolling through the trails to the streams.

Yep. Really not that bad in the scope of things though. I had visions of it being much worse. There’s no mirrors around in the middle of the woods so you really can’t tell how bad you are messed up, and the adrenaline is pumping. Then halfway out different stuff starts hurting and I turned into a bit of a hypochondriac. I kept finding blood or slobber or urine when new stuff started hurting and would would have sworn for a little bit that I must be leaking from somewhere.

I drove to the little country hospital (Montrose), and the look on the nurse’s face was one of horror when I walked in. This freaked me out all over again. I guess I probably looked like an axe murderer, but I really hadn’t thought that through.
Yikes

Reactions: Fac and TheGLOV
Going to Alaska (Denali) in August, planning to load up on bear spray and NOT go off the beaten path. the locals there say to make lots of noise while you're hiking. Wondering how much that actually makes the bears uninterested....

Reactions: TheGLOV

Yes, they did kill the bear afterwards.
If he had only complied.

GEEZ! Will ya look at this!

Glov,
Way way more than 71 people have died from Grizzly attacks since 1900? This list consists of confirmed deaths where a family member reports someone missing and they find the body or a mangled half eaten body where some form of ID was found on the person’s clothes. What about the misguided hikers, lone hunters or camper who decided to venture out on their own and were never found again? In 1994 a gentlemen named Ed Scherer went bird hunting with 2 dogs deep in the Canadian bush all by himself. He went missing. Supposedly it started snowing and they called off the search because of poor visibility. Well, they never found his body, they did find scattered remains of one dog with no signs of the second dog. Was it wolves, a bear or coyotes? With nothing more than a shotgun loaded with bird shot he was basically unarmed. I personally believe he was either killed by wolves who ripped him apart or a hungry bear looking to fatten up in anticipation to hibernating. Post death remains were probably devoured by ants and rodents. How many people do you believe since 1900 suffered a similar fate?

That video is crazy. See how smoothly that big, “lumbering” bear runs downhill cutting switchbacks. That’s scary as hell

‘I’m not your food’: Wyoming jogger reasons with bear in face-off​

Jada Butler
Wed, April 21, 2021, 1:00 AM

<span>Photograph: Duncan Selby/Alamy Stock Photo</span>

Photograph: Duncan Selby/Alamy Stock Photo
A runner talked his way out of a face-off with a large bear that pursued him for several minutes in Grand Teton national park in Wyoming, a showdown the runner captured in a three-minute video that went viral.
Related: North Carolina man saves wife’s life in bobcat attack
Evan Matthews said he often sees bears on his runs, but none had dared to come so close.
“This one was interested in me, so I had to change its mind,” he wrote.
Rather than use his bear spray, which he deemed a last resort, Matthews opted to reason with his ursine inquisitor.
In the video, the “cinnamon phase” black bear is seen stepping out of the woods and on to a road, despite Matthews’ stern objections.
“Hey – no!” Matthews shouts. “I don’t care if you’re hungry. I’m not your food.”
The bear continues to advance.
“Sure,” Matthews says, “we could take a walk if you want. You don’t get any closer, though.”
One defense experts say can ward off bears in the wild is to play dead. But Matthews chose not to do so, both because this was a black bear and because, he said, a solo bear with this much interest in a person “is not trying to eliminate a threat – it is trying to find an easy target. Don’t be one.”
Matthews retreated towards his car and continued talking to the bear, seeking to convince it he was human and “not to be mistaken with any other animal”.
After stalking the runner for half a mile, the bear ran back into the woods.
“Well, now, that’s the first time I’ve been kind of run up on by a bear,” Matthews chuckled. “That was exciting.”

That video is crazy. See how smoothly that big, “lumbering” bear runs downhill cutting switchbacks. That’s scary as hell
I was watching a nature show about 10 years ago where a sow with Cubs became a major problem for hikers and campers. Supposedly it attacked and inflicted some damage to a hiker. Luckily other hikers were close by with spray and forced it to back off. The show filmed how game wardens tracked this bear to monitor its activity. It was a large Sow about 375lbs. They filmed it running down and killing a 5 or 6 month year old moose, probably close to 500lbs. After killing the moose it dragged it nearly 250 yards to its Cubs and barely broke its stride. That demonstrated brute strength and stamina and tremendous bite force. Yes, the guy in the video is lucky.

The guy killed was fly fishing. It's a special rage when you find another fisherman in your honey hole especially when it out in in the middle of nowhere. I feel bad for the guy but I can see where the Grizz was coming from.

• Wow
Possibly the worst possible death I can think of - getting eaten alive by a Bear. I guess I would want KO'd first before getting bit.

Coyotes and black bears have gone after me, along with some bluff charges from a grizzly. Things happen.
What cologne were you wearing....
Always wanted to smell like "an intoxicating bouquet of spices, smoke, meat, and sweet summer sweat?" Today — just in time for Father's Day! — the barbecue masters behind Pork Barrel BBQ have released a barbecue-scented cologne and perfume,

What cologne were you wearing....
Always wanted to smell like "an intoxicating bouquet of spices, smoke, meat, and sweet summer sweat?" Today — just in time for Father's Day! — the barbecue masters behind Pork Barrel BBQ have released a barbecue-scented cologne and perfume,
The bear that climbed the tree stand was Tinks, coyotes nothing.

Reactions: step.eng69
YIKES, I fear the situation where I'm in the tree stand and having a bear climbing the tree. I would not want to kill the bear, but, ....options?
As soon as all four legs are on the ladder, he is gonna get 150 grains of pointed soft point in his brainpan.

A friend of mine was bowhunting for deer in a mixed season where you could take either a deer or a bear, on the edge of the George Washington National Forest in WV. Dusk, coming on to dark. A BIG black bear came out 20 yards from him. After thinking about it a bit, he drew back and shot. Looked like a good shot. The bear huffed and ran off into the brush. He was halfway down the tree when it occurred to him that trailing a wounded bear into tight brush in the near dark was a good way to get killed, so he set off at a fast pace in the opposite direction from the way the bear had gone, made a big circle in the woods, and came out about a half mile from his car, in the dark.

He, and 4 friends with guns, came back the next day early. They found the bear less than 100 yards from where he shot it, with a broadhead wound through both lungs. The bear was over 400 lbs field dressed.

Lots of black bears around my house. Fortunately, they're pretty docile. I believe they're of the NEPA Garbage Seeking phylum. Usually my cameras catch them in the middle of the night. Lately we've seen some in the early evening.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
Idaho just passed legislation to permanently address 90% of wolves.

Last edited:
DURANGO, Colo. (AP) — Human remains were found in two of the three black bears euthanized after they were suspected of killing a Colorado woman in an apparent attack, state wildlife officials said.

The 39-year-old woman was found dead north of Durango in southwestern Colorado on Friday, her body mauled, and authorities suspected a rare bear attack because of the bear scat and hair found at the scene. A dog team found a 10-year-old female black bear and two yearling cubs nearby and they were killed because they were suspected of attacking her and it was believed they would likely attack someone else.

The human remains were found inside the stomachs of the sow and one of the cubs during a necropsy Saturday, Colorado Parks and Wildlife said in a press release Sunday. The bears all appeared to be healthy according to an initial examination by a pathologist, showing no sign of disease and with adequate fat stores following the winter hibernation season, the agency said. A microscopic examination of their body tissue and rabies testing to find other possible reasons that could have led them to attack will take up to two weeks, it said.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the boyfriend, family and friends of the woman we lost in this tragic event,” said Cory Chick, CPW’s regional manager, said in the announcement of the necropsy findings. “We cannot determine with exact certainty how or why this attack took place, but it is important for the public not to cast blame on this woman for the unfortunate and tragic event."

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Chick said the sow was teaching its yearlings that humans were a source of food, not something to fear or avoid, making them dangerous to people.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was believed to have gone walking with her dogs earlier Friday, according to her boyfriend. He returned home at about 8:30 p.m. and the dogs were outside, but the woman was missing. He started searching and found her body an hour later off U.S. Highway 550 near Trimble, a community north of Durango, and called 911, CPW has said.

An autopsy is planned for the woman on Tuesday.

The most recent fatal bear attack in Colorado was in August 2009 near Ouray, also in the southwestern part of the state. A 74-year-old woman was killed by a 394-pound (179-kilogram) male black bear. An investigation determined she had been illegally feeding bears through the fence in her yard, the agency said.

Glov,
Way way more than 71 people have died from Grizzly attacks since 1900? This list consists of confirmed deaths where a family member reports someone missing and they find the body or a mangled half eaten body where some form of ID was found on the person’s clothes. What about the misguided hikers, lone hunters or camper who decided to venture out on their own and were never found again? In 1994 a gentlemen named Ed Scherer went bird hunting with 2 dogs deep in the Canadian bush all by himself. He went missing. Supposedly it started snowing and they called off the search because of poor visibility. Well, they never found his body, they did find scattered remains of one dog with no signs of the second dog. Was it wolves, a bear or coyotes? With nothing more than a shotgun loaded with bird shot he was basically unarmed. I personally believe he was either killed by wolves who ripped him apart or a hungry bear looking to fatten up in anticipation to hibernating. Post death remains were probably devoured by ants and rodents. How many people do you believe since 1900 suffered a similar fate?

Hiker uses beach ball as a shield against a black bear in Alaskan wilderness​

b171cc0a808a92eba2880b6f5299e36a

Summer Lin
Tue, May 4, 2021, 9:56 AM

A man was hiking with his wife and friends in Alaska last week when they encountered a black bear and used a beach ball as a shield.
Niels Green was hiking the Tonsina Trail at the Lowell Point State Recreation Site near Seward on Thursday when his wife, Regina shouted “bear” and he saw his dog Hunter run past him across the bridge, Craig Medred reported.
Green found himself facing an adult black bear and had only a beach ball as his defense.
“I turned around, and it was about two feet away,” he said, Craig Medred reported. “He never looked at me. I just kept putting the ball in his face.”

Sarah Wallner, who was also on the hike, was mauled by a grizzly bear in 2007 but this time, she and Regina managed to jump to the other side of the bridge railing to avoid the bear, Alaska Public Media reported.
“Oh, not again. This is not happening,” Wallner recalled to the news outlet. “Like, this is not supposed to happen again.”
Meanwhile, Green kept using the beach ball “as a buffer” for two minutes before Regina grabbed the bear mace from her backpack and handed it to Green, who sprayed the bear, according to the publication. The bear left after that.
Regina posted about the incident on a Seward Facebook community group, warning others about the bear.
“Bear on Tonsina charged the dog onto the bridge with us. Not scared of people. Had to be bear maced in the face for it to leave,” she wrote Thursday.
Other hikers have reported seeing black bears on the trail.

Reactions: RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT