ADVERTISEMENT

Be BEAR Aware! Man mauled and dies in West Yellowstone Grizzly attack!

TheGLOV

Gold Member

Yes, they did kill the bear afterwards.

Let's just hope those 'bluffs' continue sir.

If not, I hope you run faster than the other guy.
I doubt I’ll be in Grizzly country again anytime soon. I got my dad up there a few years ago, but he’s not up for it now. It was beautiful, but I checked that one off the bucket list and don’t see it happening again. I’m pretty calm around animals, but those things are just wired differently, they know they are at the top of the heap, and might just remind you for the heck of it.

Coyotes and black bears have gone after me, along with some bluff charges from a grizzly. Things happen.
Oh, I know. Coyotes in particular are nasty little ****ers.
The guy making that post may be the same guy who shot at an eagle that was harassing a picnic and posted it on this board. I tried to search for that post but it was long ago.

Oh, I know. Coyotes in particular are nasty little ****ers.
The guy making that post may be the same guy who shot at an eagle that was harassing a picnic and posted it on this board. I tried to search for that post but it was long ago.
There was a bald eagle circling over a pond next to my kids soccer game this morning. My wife and I watched it for a half hour while the team was warming up. I see a few a year but not nearly for that amount of time. It was really cool seeing it that close.

Not for one second did I think that thing needs to die. Buy hey, to each his own. 🦅

There was a bald eagle circling over a pond next to my kids soccer game this morning. My wife and I watched it for a half hour while the team was warming up. I see a few a year but not nearly for that amount of time. It was really cool seeing it that close.

Not for one second did I think that thing needs to die. Buy hey, to each his own. 🦅
Shooting at the Turkey vultures because they were “too interested” was pretty funny too. Was he lagging too far behind his group or something?

The man who passed away as a result of the Grizzly attack had a stroke after the attack..He has Ties to the Olney Md area. I'm sure Lion Jim knows the family of this young man as they own the local hardware store there. Please be respectful in your commentary of this tragedy. My wife and I both were school teachers in Olney and the family sent us a text message asking for prayers. The young man was 6'6" and was an avid outdoorsman. Prayers for his family.

The man who passed away as a result of the Grizzly attack had a stroke after the attack..He has Ties to the Olney Md area. I'm sure Lion Jim knows the family of this young man as they own the local hardware store there. Please be respectful in your commentary of this tragedy. My wife and I both were school teachers in Olney and the family sent us a text message asking for prayers. The young man was 6'6" and was an avid outdoorsman. Prayers for his family.

Indeed prayers offered.

A wolf will never attack a healthy human being. In my 20's I backpacked alone the entire High Sierra loop in Yosemite, the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier, and several trails in Glacier. The real problem is bears, especially grizzly bears.

Reactions: blmr31 and TheGLOV
Sad story. Can’t imagine how terrrifyjng that would be.

Foolishly went hiking on a pretty on a pretty off the beaten path trail without bear spray in Yellowstone when we visited a few years ago. We were attacked by a male grouse. Got too close to his harem and he charged us.

Reactions: TheGLOV
A wolf will never attack a healthy human being. In my 20's I backpacked alone the entire High Sierra loop in Yosemite, the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier, and several trails in Glacier. The real problem is bears, especially grizzly bears.
I wouldn't say never, I believe there have been a few wolf/human attacks. I know for sure that a woman was killed by wolves in Alaska in 2009/2010 while I was there. It is very rare though. Higher chance of choking on a hotdog.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
about the only position worse than being in a pissed off grizzly's path would be being in the same position with a polar bear
Grizzly bear to Polar Bear is kinda like Great White Shark to Orca (i.e., almost Apex to Apex.) I don't want to encounter ANY of them in the wild.

I'm going to ask the question (as a guy who hiked across america back in the 70's when hitch-hiking was a real and nearly safe mode of transport... who slept in a tent with a 6 inch blade and little more while hiking up to pike's peak -- something i'd be less inclined to do today knowing what i now know about wildlife lol)...

We were just in yellowstone last fall and there was a pack of 30+ wolves roaming the hills (cavalcade of cars parked down below filming their trek). Now I agree one wolf is unlikely to attack a healthy human, but my guess is a lone man in the hills at dusk is toast if a 30 wolf pack gets hold of his scent.

Feel free to correct me... this is simply my pov.. it might be wrong and i'll listen to someone with more experience in the matter.

There are plenty of factual stories out there that rarely make the 5pm news. Why the lack of reporting, they do not want people to overreact. My friend who has hunted Elk, Caribou and next is Moose (I think) tells me that guides told him that Wolf attacks on humans have happened, most recently humans on horse back. Please don’t quote me on the numbers but since 1960 I believe nearly 200 human deaths by grizzlies and black bear have been recorded. Since 1960 over 1000 attacks that “did not” result in a death have been recorded. At least 10%-20% have left victims maimed with grotesque facial disfigurement. Ponder this thought. We all watched Grizzly man, we all know that Tim Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed by a grizzly but no one has ever seen a picture of them post attack. The Alaskan state police will not release those photos. Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
Hiked in Yellowstone with my brothers and dad years ago to fish high meadows above the Soda Butte River. The black flies eventually drove me nuts and I told the others I was starting back on the 4 mile trek to our camp site. After a mile or so two park rangers rode over on their horses to suggest that I wait for my party before hiking out. They said a man had been killed by a grizzly the week before not far from where I was standing . Needless to say I walked back to my party since I had nothing but a flyrod to protect me.

I'm going to ask the question (as a guy who hiked across america back in the 70's when hitch-hiking was a real and nearly safe mode of transport... who slept in a tent with a 6 inch blade and little more while hiking up to pike's peak -- something i'd be less inclined to do today knowing what i now know about wildlife lol)...

We were just in yellowstone last fall and there was a pack of 30+ wolves roaming the hills (cavalcade of cars parked down below filming their trek). Now I agree one wolf is unlikely to attack a healthy human, but my guess is a lone man in the hills at dusk is toast if a 30 wolf pack gets hold of his scent.

Feel free to correct me... this is simply my pov.. it might be wrong and i'll listen to someone with more experience in the matter.
I’m no expert on wolves, (or any animals for that matter). That being said I have no doubt they could. The person would have to be at the right place at the right time. They are incredibly smart animals due to working as a team kind of in the shadows. In the stories of near misses I have heard, one or two were dead set on coming after a guy, and the rest of the pack talked him out of it. I think a major reason the numbers are low is because of wolf extrication from places that humans took over, and the way they go about business.

Two coyotes attacked me while turkey hunting one spring. They came out of nowhere, from behind, and the first one had ahold of my neck before I knew it was happening. I firmly believe if there were more of them like wolves hunt, they would have had a discussion prior to acting on that instinct. The less of them there are pre-encounter the more likely they are to take risks, and the less chance of cooler heads prevailing.

This ^^^ is a story that you need to finish for us. How did you manage to extricate yourself from that predicament?
I dropped the shotgun I was holding, but managed to grab it again, and shoot the second one who had latched on to my leg without somehow getting myself in the process. The first one was gone as soon as the gun went off, and I never really saw him other than a flash of something over my shoulder.

He missed my jugular, and while beat up pretty good, the only thing I have is a scar on my jawline that a beard covers. Wish I could have got the other one though as it would have maybe helped if they could have done a rabies test on it.

It was just a freak thing, as I’m sure they thought I was a turkey at first, and then said whatever this thing is we are going to eat it. I do keep a bigger tree behind me when turkey hunting anymore, and use something other than a double barrel though. Nature is wild even in boring Pennsylvania.

I dropped the shotgun I was holding, but managed to grab it again, and shoot the second one who had latched on to my leg without somehow getting myself in the process. The first one was gone as soon as the gun went off, and I never really saw him other than a flash of something over my shoulder.

He missed my jugular, and while beat up pretty good, the only thing I have is a scar on my jawline that a beard covers. Wish I could have got the other one though as it would have maybe helped if they could have done a rabies test on it.

It was just a freak thing, as I’m sure they thought I was a turkey at first, and then said whatever this thing is we are going to eat it. I do keep a bigger tree behind me when turkey hunting anymore, and use something other than a double barrel though. Nature is wild even in boring Pennsylvania.
Rabies shots?

Rabies shots?
Yep. Really not that bad in the scope of things though. I had visions of it being much worse. There’s no mirrors around in the middle of the woods so you really can’t tell how bad you are messed up, and the adrenaline is pumping. Then halfway out different stuff starts hurting and I turned into a bit of a hypochondriac. I kept finding blood or slobber or urine when new stuff started hurting and would would have sworn for a little bit that I must be leaking from somewhere.

I drove to the little country hospital (Montrose), and the look on the nurse’s face was one of horror when I walked in. This freaked me out all over again. I guess I probably looked like an axe murderer, but I really hadn’t thought that through.

What you mention seems logical, but for some reason almost never happens. Wolves seem to have it in their DNA to avoid humans. During my "thrilling days of yesteryear", as I mentioned in my earlier post, it was bears that I was wary of (and to a much lessor degree poisonous snakes). In point of fact, if fate dealt you the wrong hand in a bear encounter, you definitely ran the risk of being killed --- but at 25 we didn't think like that, right? I should have used the term "almost never" as opposed to "never" in reference to how rare it is for a healthy human being to be attacked by wolves. They are a fascinating, remarkable, animal with very interesting and admirable codes of conduct and behavior. I have always enjoyed reading, and learning more, about them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT