ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Bands: Round 1 Rock Divison "B" The Cars Win big!

Who is better: The Cars or The Clash

• The Cars

Votes: 78 89.7%
  • The Knack

Votes: 9 10.3%

• Total voters
I vote The Cars because they had a much longer career. But IMO the debut album from The Knack was better than any album by The Cars and any album by a lot of other bands too. The Knack's first album really kicks ass.

The cars changed music. Our Ra had a friend who worked at Harvard's radio station and gave him a copy of a cassette tape of the cars 6 months before that album was released. We were nuts about that album. I must've made 30 copies for friends all over before the album ever came out.The knack really had one song.

This prompted me to start listening to The Knack's debut album again. The drumming is really good. Their drummer Gary Bruce is now dead (as is their singer), but Gary Bruce was the guy that once said, of famed session drummer Hal Blaine, who played on many, many 60s hits, "I was disappointed to learn that my ten favorite drummers were all Hal Blaine."

The cars changed music. Our Ra had a friend who worked at Harvard's radio station and gave him a copy of a cassette tape of the cars 6 months before that album was released. We were nuts about that album. I must've made 30 copies for friends all over before the album ever came out.The knack really had one song.
Love the Cars, but the Knack’s first album is fantastic. Frustrated and That’s What the Little Girls Do are gems. Their cover of Heartbeat is fantastic.

But the Cars are timeless - helped save us from 70s arena rock.

love the beginning of this video with Greg Hawkes’ glasses reflecting the bank of keyboards. Nerd genius

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Love the Cars, but the Knack’s first album is fantastic. Frustrated and That’s What the Little Girls Do are gems. Their cover of Heartbeat is fantastic.

love the beginning of this video with Greg Hawkes’ glasses reflecting the bank of keyboards. Nerd genius

Drive is pretty hard to beat.

Good points sir but G*D Damn! I grew up watching and enjoying those 70's arena shows!

Thank you Beatles at Candlestick & Shea!!!

The Knack all day long. I better see some Stray Cats in this poll Glov!

Just listened to Knack album for first time in a lot of years. I actually forgot how good that entire album was.
Just listened driving into work. Forgot “your number or your name”. Just great power pop throughout.

And the lyrics to Good Girls Don’t are hilarious

Critics loathed them because they were “misogynistic” and weren’t serious enough. Whatever. There was a good interview of Matthew Sweet where he sheepishly admitted he thought they were awesome

Last edited:
Just listened driving into work. Forgot “your number or your name”. Just great power pop throughout.

And the lyrics to Good Girls Don’t are hilarious

Critics loathed them because they were “misogynistic” and weren’t serious enough. Whatever. There was a good interview of Matthew Sweet where he sheepishly admitted he thought they were awesome

Let Me Out and Your Number Or Your Name are great opening songs on the album.

Did you notice the change in lyrics in the Good Girls Don't video above?

Wishing you could get inside her pants (album) = Wishing she was giving you a chance (video)

Till she's sitting on your face (album) = Till she puts you in your place (video)

The lyrics to (She's So) Selfish are very clever, too.

Last edited:
The Knack all day long. I better see some Stray Cats in this poll Glov!
ARGH - I am sure it's just me but I detest the Stray Cat's - twangy and an assault to my ears. Not judging their musical skills it's just that they are one of the few bands that I hate every song of theirs even the ones I haven't heard. :eek:

Cars were a band I didn’t like during the 80s because I didn’t like the stuff they had coming out (Shake it Up, Drive, etc...) but one the time since I have grown to love them. Some great, great stuff.

This is not even close. The Cars were vastly superior as writers, players, producers, and musicians. The Knack was a good, tight rock band with a sound based on simple hooks. They had 2 good records and ran out of material. The Cars made 5 unbelievable great records from 78 to 85.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT