ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Bands: Round 1 Rock Division "C" Damn it! Boston won!!

Who is better? Boston or Foreigner

• Boston

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Foreigner

Votes: 36 43.4%

• Total voters
Boy that's a tough draw for both these bands. Good things and bad things to say about both. So much good things though. Hmmmm

Reactions: TheGLOV
I vote Boston. Granted they only had one really good album, but 40+ years it stands up very well, (IMO). Call it Corporate Rock if you like but if so, it's damn good Corporate Rock (that first album I mean) and it wasn't an imitation of stuff that had gone before (like their subsequent album).

Foreigner, OTOH, had a few good songs and that's about it, again, IMO. The best thing about a Foreigner song was that WKRP in Cincinnati used "Hot Blooded" in the classic scene with Les Nessman.

Boston by far.

Foreigner should have been held up by customs. Nausea inducing Yacht Rock
Boston was created in a basement and put out 1 good album. But it was really good. I would never classify Foreigner as "yacht rock" - that's Boz Scaggs and such. Mick Jones could play guitar and that first album - though not Boston - was damn good.

Both good, but Boston was better....of course both are better than Nugent or Foghat....bad draw.

Tough, tough call. I picked Foreigner, mostly because they have a somewhat more robust catalog of hits IMO - plus everything at work seems to be Urgent these days, so that's become one of my favorite songs (Urgent, urgent, urgent, just you wait and see, how urrrgent this job will be...:rolleyes:). OTOH, Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is a "rock anthem" that has no equal. Can't imagine my music world without either one.
Also, Lou Gramm's "Midnight Blue," while not a Foreigner hit, is an exceptional song, and is on Foreigner's "Jukebox Heroes" anthology.
As far as Foreigner's lyrics, jeez, it's the late 1970s, early '80s, it's part of the landscape, like big hair. If the lyrics weren't so cheesy, the songs wouldn't be so good!

Foreigner was destined to lose in this time of quarantine from outsiders. Boston, OTOH, is already in the USA.

Foreigner. Boston is more of a collective collaboration type of thing than a band. Tom Scholz did everything and then they would get the players into the studio as needed. Both bands have great material but foreigner had a bit more of it. Scholz is a superior guitarist to Mick Jones but so is everyone else. Mick was a multi instrument guy but his strength was as an arranger and producer in the studio. Brad Delp was an awesome amazing singer but Lou Gramm is in the rare of of elite that houses Freddie mercury, Steve Perry, Paul Rodgers, Robert plant, Joe Lynn Turner, etc...

Tough, tough call. I picked Foreigner, mostly because they have a somewhat more robust catalog of hits IMO - plus everything at work seems to be Urgent these days, so that's become one of my favorite songs (Urgent, urgent, urgent, just you wait and see, how urrrgent this job will be...:rolleyes:). OTOH, Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is a "rock anthem" that has no equal. Can't imagine my music world without either one.
Also, Lou Gramm's "Midnight Blue," while not a Foreigner hit, is an exceptional song, and is on Foreigner's "Jukebox Heroes" anthology.
As far as Foreigner's lyrics, jeez, it's the late 1970s, early '80s, it's part of the landscape, like big hair. If the lyrics weren't so cheesy, the songs wouldn't be so good!
Neither foreigner nor Boston was anything close to a hair band. Hair band, by the way is a derogatory term. I don't have the link handy but I will find it, as Eddie trunk explained the entire thing perfectly a few years back.

Foreigner. Boston is more of a collective collaboration type of thing than a band. Tom Scholz did everything and then they would get the players into the studio as needed. Both bands have great material but foreigner had a bit more of it. Scholz is a superior guitarist to Mick Jones but so is everyone else. Mick was a multi instrument guy but his strength was as an arranger and producer in the studio. Brad Delp was an awesome amazing singer but Lou Gramm is in the rare of of elite that houses Freddie mercury, Steve Perry, Paul Rodgers, Robert plant, Joe Lynn Turner, etc...

I could never put Lou Gramm on the same level as Robert Plant. Plant is a rock immortal who is on the Mount Rushmore of lead singers in rock history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT