ADVERTISEMENT

Based on Starting Lineup Hawks are more Pennsylvania

Waste Management Consultant

Jan 1, 2019
Iowa: Lee, DeSanto, Murin, injured Kemdog
PSU: Nolf, Joseph

I love the PA guys wherever they go to compete or coach. That’s why I can’t completely dislike the Hawks and oddly find myself looking at Campbell and North Carolina results.

I love the PA guys wherever they go to compete or coach. That’s why I can’t completely dislike the Hawks and oddly find myself looking at Campbell and North Carolina results.

Also for Iowa, Caleb Young at 157.

Kinda a misnomer that Cael’s success is because of Pennsylvania’s wrestling talent. PSU recruits the best no matter where they are from and gets a lot of them!

I commented about this before. On average if Cael can land 2 of the top 3 Pennsylvania kids and 2 of the top 5 National kids on a yearly basis it would be great. Obviously his team needs and scholarship allotment is going to dictate some of what you can do.
I would love to see the PSU lineup be a 50/50 mix of PA/National.

I commented about this before. On average if Cael can land 2 of the top 3 Pennsylvania kids and 2 of the top 5 National kids on a yearly basis it would be great. Obviously his team needs and scholarship allotment is going to dictate some of what you can do.
I would love to see the PSU lineup be a 50/50 mix of PA/National.

50/50 is about what it has been or at least in that vicinity. With the exception of Spencer Lee Cael has gotten the PA kids he wanted. Would have loved to have gotten Kemerer & Young but neither would have started for PSU barring injuries.

Pennsylvania has 11 Division I teams, out of 77 total programs, or about 14% of the total. These teams are; PSU, Pitt, Edinboro, Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, F&M, Penn, Drexel, Lehigh, and Bucknell. Even with that, and location being one of the top factors in recruiting, some really good PA kids leave.

The PSU story, I'm sure, isn't about misfiring on some of these kids. It's more that Coach has a national, and not a regional attitude on recruiting. He loves PA, and will go after kids here of all levels, which will serve the program really well, but he's also scouring the country for the best of the best.

Pennsylvania has 11 Division I teams, out of 77 total programs, or about 14% of the total. These teams are; PSU, Pitt, Edinboro, Clarion, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, F&M, Penn, Drexel, Lehigh, and Bucknell. Even with that, and location being one of the top factors in recruiting, some really good PA kids leave.

The PSU story, I'm sure, isn't about misfiring on some of these kids. It's more that Coach has a national, and not a regional attitude on recruiting. He loves PA, and will go after kids here of all levels, which will serve the program really well, but he's also scouring the country for the best of the best.
And, I think, that number (11) is down from some years ago. Didn't East Stroudsburg and Millersville used to Div1? And I think there was one or two others as well.

And, I think, that number (11) is down from some years ago. Didn't East Stroudsburg and Millersville used to Div1? And I think there was one or two others as well.

Millersville was at one point. Not entirely positive on ESU.

Reactions: NoVaLion2

I noticed there were a few good wrestlers on Nebraska team from the LEHIGH Valley. Pa. Wrestlers seem to be everywhere

Yes, both, and about 6-8 others, if I went back and looked. In fact, my brother wrestled D1 at East Stroudsburg in the early '80's. A couple to note: Temple, Waynesburg, Slippery Rock, West Chester, Wilkes. A bunch more show up, but may have been during times when other divisions were included.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoVaLion2
PA colleges that have dropped wrestling:

D1
California, Duquesne, LaSalle, Lafayette, Villanova, Temple, Slippery Rock, St. Francis

DII
Cheyney, Mansfield, West Chester, Indiana

DIII
Westminster, Swarthmore, Carnegie Mellon, St. Vincent's, Susquehanna, Moravian, Juanita, Dickinson, Grove City, Philadelphia Biblical, Lincoln, Haverford, Lebanon Valley, Allegheny, Widener, Albright, Clarks Summit

Note: this does not include colleges/universities that competed in wrestling outside of the NCAA.

D1
California, Duquesne, LaSalle, Lafayette, Villanova, Temple, Slippery Rock, St. Francis

DII

DIII
Westminster, Swarthmore, Carnegie Mellon, St. Vincent's, Susquehanna, Moravian, Juanita, Dickinson, Grove City, Philadelphia Biblical, Lincoln, Haverford, Lebanon Valley, Allegheny, Widener, Albright, Clarks Summit

Note: this does not include colleges/universities that competed in wrestling outside of the NCAA.
I knew there were a few. That's pretty sad that this many schools don't wrestle anymore.

That’s crazy. Title IX has been great. What’s even more crazy is that if Women’s wrestling continues to grow it may end up saving/stop loss from the Men’s side.

D1

DII

DIII

Not sure if you excluded because they were previously mentioned or not Tom...Millersville and East Stroudsburg were D1, as was Shippensburg. Gettysburg, Lycoming, and Ursinus should be on the list somewhere, as they had wrestlers compete at the D1 tournament. Gettysburg noted in 5 tournaments, the last in 1972. Lycoming in 4, last was 1966, and Ursinus only one, in 1951.

Points of this discussion, imo, are;
1) What a powerhouse state Pennsylvania is for wrestling
2) The decline in overall wrestling programs

In 1981-82, there were 146 Division 1 programs, and 363 in all three divisions.
In 2017-18, there were 76 Division 1 programs, and 241 in all three divisions.

Not sure if you excluded because they were previously mentioned or not Tom...Millersville and East Stroudsburg were D1, as was Shippensburg. Gettysburg, Lycoming, and Ursinus should be on the list somewhere, as they had wrestlers compete at the D1 tournament. Gettysburg noted in 5 tournaments, the last in 1972. Lycoming in 4, last was 1966, and Ursinus only one, in 1951.

I think we're discussing this on different criteria. I'm looking at colleges/universities that completely dropped wrestling. It appears that you're looking at colleges/universities that no longer field DI wrestling teams.

Of the schools you listed:

Gettysburg -- still wrestles DIII
Lycoming - still wrestles DIII
Ursinus - still wrestles DIII
Shippensburg -- still wrestles DII
Millersville -- still wrestles DII
East Stroudsburg -- still wrestles DII

Reactions: RoarLions1
I think we're discussing this on different criteria. I'm looking at colleges/universities that completely dropped wrestling. It appears that you're looking at colleges/universities that no longer field DI wrestling teams.

Of the schools you listed:

Gettysburg -- still wrestles DIII
Lycoming - still wrestles DIII
Ursinus - still wrestles DIII
Shippensburg -- still wrestles DII
Millersville -- still wrestles DII
East Stroudsburg -- still wrestles DII
Yes. The message to Pennsylvania wrestling fans, from whichever perspective we come at this, is a still-powerful, but somewhat diminished wrestling presence at the college level. Btw...neither of us are saying it hasn't played out similarly in other states, it has. Thanks for applying the clarifying remarks for the different views. :)

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT