ADVERTISEMENT

Barron to the state legislature on the budget

Really not that bizarre if you use your brain

Merit based scholarships = recruiting
Need based scholarships = financial assistance

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

'Alabama’s success in drawing students from hundreds of miles away is one reflection of the pressure many colleges and universities face as the number of high school graduates declines and state support for public higher education shrinks throughout the country, experts say.'

"Competition from schools outside of the state with generous scholarship awards appears to be the most significant factor in the decision not to enroll at Illinois," a university statement said last year.

Enter the University of Alabama. It awarded 203 full-tuition scholarships, out of 305 total, to freshman Illinoisans in 2017, defraying more than $100,000 in costs per student. The university has nearly quintupled over the past decade the amount of institutional, non-need-based aid it awards.

In 2016, Alabama spent more than $136.3 million in merit scholarships, which are not based on a family’s financial need, according to university data. That is up from $28.5 million a decade ago.

So, a university who doesn't like to make it cheaper for the students is making an excuse and calling it recruiting. That's your reasoning?

So, a university who doesn't like to make it cheaper for the students is making an excuse and calling it recruiting. That's your reasoning?

What are you talking about? When did I say anything about an excuse? I said Alabama has made the decision to use merit based scholarships to recruit good students from around the country that otherwise would probably not be going to Alabama. That is their plan to raise the academic profile of the college. Simple as that

Don’t even need to look to know the relative values are incomparable. Hard to beat the California state schools, especially the UCs.

Penn State USED to be a good deal. Penn State dollar for dollar isn’t even close anymore.
It still is a good deal when compared to private universities. Remember they are competing for many of the same students. Public colleges don’t exist in a vacuum. Would you rather pay $50K for Gettysburg? My neighbor who lives in Pa sent his first two kids to Loyola of Md at $45,000 and the next child got into PSU’s Schreyers Honors College and got a much better education for 1/3 of the price. His last kid, a high school Junior, is now comparing PSU, Cornell, and Drexel. He can afford any of them but considers PSU the best value. Cornell and Drexel both cost about $50k in tuition.

Last edited:
It still is a good deal when compared to private universities. Remember they are competing for many of the same students. Public colleges don’t exist in a vacuum. Would you rather pay $50K for Gettysburg? My neighbor who lives in Pa sent his first two kids to Loyola of Md at $45,000 and the next child got into PSU’s Schreyers Honors College and got a much better education for 1/3 of the price. His last kid, a high school Junior, is now comparing PSU, Cornell, and Drexel. He can afford any of them but considers PSU the best value.
There's no question Schreyers is a great value for the kids who can get in.

fy2018
Budgeted Annual State Appropriations (millions)
Illinois $ 588,994
Indiana $ 576,597
Iowa $ 216,800
Maryland (College Park only) $ 514,351
Michigan - all campuses $ 363,072
Michigan State $ 281,000
Minnesota $ 650,900
Nebraska $ 566,803
Ohio State - consolidated $ 383,662
Penn State - all in $ 318,223
Purdue - all campuses $ 419,021
Rutgers - all campuses and Medical Center $ 433,971
Wisconsin - Madison Only $ 456,000

Great that there will be no debt, but people (you and others) are funding his education in a degree field for which I scratch my head. What will he do with a degree in Geography and American Studies? What is the job for which this is the needed qualification, and what is the demand for that job?

I can see this area as a small piece in gaining a broad understanding of our world, but as a major that implies a connected job. Teaching in high school or college? I would think that, if high school, a major in education would be required. If college, then an advanced degree. Again, what is the supply/demand?
I don't know what he's going to do when he "grows up" but neither did I until just a few years ago. The bottom line is that he's getting a great education, and will most definitely contribute to society in some way, without the burden of massive debt. My point was that other schools are actively recruiting the best and brightest, and offering significant financial aid as an incentive. Penn State offered him almost nothing.

4K per year discount? (Is that still what it is?)

In all seriousness, how many of those kids couldn’t get a better deal ($$$ and Academics) elsewhere? IDK
Is it better than non-Schreyer’s? Yes, Obviously.

But I have to doubt they are pulling in a demographic who’s other options are NW or Stanford (or even Michigan, UNC, or UVA)
It’s $5000 per year now. This girl doesn’t want to be more than a few hours away from home plus her older sister had such a great experience at PSU and is now working at one of the top architectural firms in Philadelphia. All his kids were very good students. I suspect she will wind up there.

In all seriousness, how many of those kids couldn’t get a better deal ($$$ and Academics) elsewhere? IDK

But I have to doubt they are pulling in a demographic who’s other options are NW or Stanford (or even Michigan, UNC, or UVA)
$5K and yeah, they pretty much are the same level kids.

UNC Chapel Hill - 2018 state appropriation = $ 518 million

Pretty simple supply and demand/demographics answer- Alabama doesnt have the 'recruiting base' locally to increase their academic standing. So they recruit students from stronger academic areas and offer them scholarships.

If PSU has 10s of thousands of kids with great grades willing to pay the rack rate, why would they give your son a free ride?

Are there? I never said PSU should have offered my son a free ride. My point was that there are other schools out there competing with PSU for quality kids, and winning. Something like 60% of UA Freshman are out of state, and a lot of them are from the northeast.

Competition almost always benefits the customer so hooray for competition.

Hats off to Bama where the bosses are aggressively seeking great students. This will pay off down the road in terms of reputation, rankings, donations, etc.

Are you confident with Barron and Co. deciding how PSU will be competitive for students in the years ahead?

Me either!

Reactions: nits74 and 91Joe95
So basically he's doing little to nothing to control costs.
It's nice if you don't increase tuition but that doesn't change the fact that it's still very high.

My guess is that a lot of the spending is fixed (buildings, utilities, employment contracts, interest) and are difficult to cut at this point.

How can NY offer free SUNY tuition?

The lack of understanding of the value of the arts & sciences never ceases to amaze.

Did I say that arts & sciences are not important? Did I imply a lack of understanding?

Most arts and sciences require an advanced degree that is specific to the intended employment. That's a lot of education, years, and expense, so one might want to be sure that there will be a market/demand in the field of pursuit. I am just wondering what that would be in this case. Geography has always been very interesting to me, but so is Ufology.

Like it or not, unless one is wealthy or an entrepreneur, at present employers are the ones who set the training requirements.

Barron pointed out that three of the past four Pennsylvania budgets have included important increases to Penn State’s funding, which has enabled the University to keep in-state undergraduate tuition rates flat — across the board — in two of the three years that state support increased. Penn State also has not raised tuition at eight Commonwealth Campuses — Beaver, DuBois, Fayette, Greater Allegheny, Mont Alto, New Kensington, Shenango and Wilkes-Barre — for the past four years.

Penn State ranks No. 5 among all state flagship universities for the smallest overall increase in in-state tuition over the last 10 years, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education 2018 Almanac, and tuition increases across Penn State’s campuses have been below national averages for more than a decade.

“Access and affordability is our top priority, and I can’t overstate the importance of the appropriation for achieving that end,” Barron said. “It has enabled countless students to pursue their dreams with less debt and more time to engage in meaningful and productive activities like internships, leadership opportunities, and service work.”

In addition to containing tuition costs, Penn State has focused on other factors that contribute to the total cost of a degree, such as decreasing the rate of student borrowing, reducing attrition due to financial challenges, and providing resources to help students graduate on time. These efforts have had a significant impact on student borrowing in particular, Barron said, with average student debt down approximately $2,400 per undergraduate student at the Commonwealth Campuses and $500 per undergraduate at University Park, between 2015-16 and 2017-18.

Among the programs underway to help keep a Penn State education accessible and affordable are the Pathway to Success: Summer Startprogram, which provides students with a scholarship to take summer classes while earning additional money through on-campus employment; the Student Transitional Experiences Program, which offers financial, mentoring and networking support for students transitioning to University Park from a Commonwealth Campus; the Sokolov-Miller Family Financial and Life Skills Center, which provides no-cost financial counseling and financial literacy programming; the Raise.me micro-scholarship program, a partnership with 24 urban and rural high schools in Pennsylvania where students interested in attending Penn State can earn up to $16,000 in scholarship support over four years; and Complete Penn State, which is designed to help students with high GPAs and credit counts overcome struggles so they can complete their degrees.

Barron pledged Penn State’s continued good stewardship of the state’s dollars, and said the University would continue to identify cost savings in the University’s operating budget for the coming fiscal year. Penn State has enacted $440.3 million in cuts to recurring costs since 1992, including $36.5 million in the 2018-19 budget alone. These measures have helped the University to meet rising expenses, while keeping tuition increases low or flat for students.

Comments?

The data doesn’t support Barron. He’s spinning. Costs are going up everywhere but sadly PSU was out front in raising tuition before the latest bubble.

I’m sick and tired of fighting the same gdamn fight over and over with these stuffed shirts. Our leaders blame the state because it’s a political argument while our administration grows in numbers year after year. It’s a trough.

Meanwhile cut thru the tuition spin. It costs more than 50k to attend PSU as an out of state undergrad. Instate rates are way beyond the norm. I have four kids and I make a nice living and there is no way in hell im paying that number at PSU when my kids can get better student to teacher ratios, better dorms, better advising support all at a lower cost at other state schools in other states.

Are there? I never said PSU should have offered my son a free ride. My point was that there are other schools out there competing with PSU for quality kids, and winning. Something like 60% of UA Freshman are out of state, and a lot of them are from the northeast.

That started back around 2009 when my daughter went there. She also received a full ride for their engineering college and we live in Ohio. She was a very good student and had plenty of schools to choose from but choose Bama for the warm weather :) and no cost education. That was also the time they spent Big money on their engineering college and wanted to attract a lot of out of state students. They recruit pretty hard here in Cincinnati.

Reactions: ouirpsu
Since this thread started wrt the "State Appropriation":

State Appropriation numbers for BigTen Universities (for the last fiscal year):

State Appropriations: BigTen Universities

Illinois: $221 MM
Link: https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=853507

Iowa: $217 MM https://fmb.fo.uiowa.edu/sites/fmb.fo.uiowa.edu/files/wysiwyg_uploads/Budget%20Spreadsheet%20-%20FY18.pdf

Maryland: $514 MM
Link:http://otcads.umd.edu/bfa/budgetinfo3.htm

Michigan: $315 MM
Link: http://www.provost.umich.edu/budgeting/budget_2017-2018.html

Michigan State: $280 MM
Link: https://opb.msu.edu/functions/budget/news.html

Nebraska: $161 MM

Link: https://nebraska.edu/docs/budget/GOB_2018.pdf

Ohio State: $384 MM
Link: https://busfin.osu.edu/sites/default/files/fy18_budget_book_-_final.pdf

Purdue: $328 MM
Link: https://www.purdue.edu/business/budgetfp/Operating Budget/index.html

Rutgers: $198 MM
Link: https://budget.rutgers.edu/fiscal-year-budget

AVG:
$291 MM

PSU was at - IIRC - around $325 MM

Penn State's allocation would be 3rd or 4th highest (out of 10), depending on if it is over or under Purdue's $328MM (its close)

Breaking those figures down on a "per-in-state-student" basis would also serve some illumination.
As would an overlay of appropriation vs net tuition cost per student.
(But I'm not gonna' attach a huge spreadsheet here :) )

Does not include:

Northwestern (obviously :) … Private University)

Indiana (Their budget documents required a "password" to access, at least from what I found. I did not go through the process of obtaining a password)

Minnesota and Wisconsin (All of the budget data I found for them was on a State-Wide basis, ie - similar to having the total allocation for PSU/Pitt/Temple/Lincoln. I have not found 2017-18 data broken down specifically for UW-Madison and UM-Twin Cities.... but I'll update if I find it.)
Thanks for sharing your effort with us. I SINCERELY appreciate it. ;)

Reactions: 91Joe95
In fact, at this point, Penn State is actually a pretty bad deal. An out-of-state student would have to be brain-dead to come to Penn State. And, I guess that is the problem.
And that is why most of the research people that are in many of PSU's best programs are Asian and not from Ohio, Maryland, New Jersey, New York or West Virginia.

Last edited:

Unless I missed that the incoming class size has dramatically dropped off, yes there are.

Either way, in re-reading my post it came across as more condescending than I intended. Congrats to you and your son and good for Bama for trying to improve their incoming student profile

Reactions: ouirpsu and 91Joe95
UNC Chapel Hill - 2018 state appropriation = $ 518 million

We have a law requiring 81% in-state enrollment at UNC. As the flagship university of only 16,000 students, its managed appropriately. Plus, that appropriation is for the UNC system of which there are several schools. In any event, its managed here and not ridiculously expensive. The same cannot be said for PSU. We in the alumni association knew there were major issues coming back in the early 2000s. The bureaucracy at PSU has been spiraling out of control and look who pays for it.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The reason a lot of us look down our noses at arts type degrees is we spent 4 years at Penn State and observed that about 90% of the people with these majors spent 95% of their time partying and viewed college as 4 years of pain free fun. Most people don't major in arts degrees to become the next Rembrant. They major in these degrees to become the next Bluto in Animal House.

Inventing facts out of thin air always makes for a strong argument.

Reactions: stormingnorm
fy2018
Budgeted Annual State Appropriations (millions)
Illinois $ 588,994
Indiana $ 576,597
Iowa $ 216,800
Maryland (College Park only) $ 514,351
Michigan - all campuses $ 363,072
Michigan State $ 281,000
Minnesota $ 650,900
Nebraska $ 566,803
Ohio State - consolidated $ 383,662
Penn State - all in $ 318,223
Purdue - all campuses $ 419,021
Rutgers - all campuses and Medical Center $ 433,971
Wisconsin - Madison Only $ 456,000
Welcome to the McAndrew Board.

Inventing facts out of thin air always makes for a strong argument.
It is a fact that I observed this when I was a student at PSU about 50 years ago. I didn't say I did a survey, performed a statistical analysis of the results, and reached conclusions. My opinion is anecdotal. It wasn't invented but may not be conclusive. Other people I have talked with have made the same observation.

It is a fact that I observed this when I was a student at PSU about 50 years ago. I didn't say I did a survey, performed a statistical analysis of the results, and reached conclusions. My opinion is anecdotal. It wasn't invented but may not be conclusive. Other people I have talked with have made the same observation.
Many liberal arts majors (economics, English, labor relations, communications, political science) go on to graduate or professional schools after graduation and get law degrees or some other advanced degree. I wouldn’t be too quick to criticize. I’ve found that they are much better writers then those with a technical background. If they’re smart, things tend to work out career wise.

Many liberal arts majors (economics, English, labor relations, communications, political science) go on to graduate or professional schools after graduation and get law degrees or some other advanced degree. I wouldn’t be too quick to criticize. I’ve found that they are much better writers then those with a technical background. If they’re smart, things tend to work out career wise.
I agree with what you say. I just recall going to many frat parties in the 1960s. When I talked with guys who drank their way through school and asked what their major was the response invariably was "sociology", "psychology", "art history", etc. Very rarely was the response "mechanical engineering", "physics", "math", etc. Maybe I just encountered outliers.

Reactions: Ski
I don’t doubt that they partied more than the engineering majors. I’m just saying that a Liberal Arts education often leads to a successful post graduate career. Perhaps they were more socially adept.

I wouldn’t be too quick to criticize. I’ve found that they are much better writers then those with a technical background. If they’re smart, things tend to work out career wise.
Sorry Nitwit - I dig your sense(s?) of humor and style but to make this (highlighted above) error while talking about being a good writer requires a flag. 15 yards, first and ten from the spot of the foul! Carry On!

Reactions: Nitwit
I don’t doubt that they partied more than the engineering majors. I’m just saying that a Liberal Arts education often leads to a successful post graduate career. Perhaps they were more socially adept.
The problem with Liberal Arts degrees is that graduate school (often a doctorate) is mandatory for a decent job. Liberal Arts graduates with a BS degree usually end up with a minimum wage job or no job at all. Except for the personal edification aspect a BS in Liberal Arts is useless.

Since it is reasonable to conclude that the PSU governance and administrative cabal value our Big Ten membership over basic human decency, I would simply ask Dr. Barron why there is such disparity between us and our Big Ten brethren as illustrated by @stormingnorm.
b10-financials-2018-1.jpg

I’m disappointed that Penn State doesn’t have the highest out-of-state tuition among b1g schools. barren needs to work on that.

The problem with Liberal Arts degrees is that graduate school (often a doctorate) is mandatory for a decent job. Liberal Arts graduates with a BS degree usually end up with a minimum wage job or no job at all. Except for the personal edification aspect a BS in Liberal Arts is useless.

Yeah, sorry.

Nope.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ridge-gap-between-liberal-arts-and-work-force

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/20/mar...will-be-worth-more-than-computer-science.html

Well. I guess that settles it. Mark Cuban thinks a degree in Philosophy is worth more than a STEM degree. Mark Cuban is always right. Every Mechanical Engineering major should immediately switch to Philosophy. That is where the big bucks can be found.

Well it is probably somewhere in the middle. I think LA grads need to work harder to market themselves but their skills are in demand. I would encourage a student looking to earn a liberal arts degree to use community college credits, CLEP, earn credits via internships, etc and then then look for a state university to finish off their degree.

Philosophy majors are in demand also btw...

The demise of the liberal arts is greatly exaggerated, students just need to be more agile and market themselves and pick up transferable skills.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/09/philosophy-majors-out-earn-other-humanities/403555/

Well it is probably somewhere in the middle. I think LA grads need to work harder to market themselves but their skills are in demand. I would encourage a student looking to earn a liberal arts degree to use community college credits, CLEP, earn credits via internships, etc and then then look for a state university to finish off their degree.

Philosophy majors are in demand also btw...

The demise of the liberal arts is greatly exaggerated, students just need to be more agile and market themselves and pick up transferable skills.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/09/philosophy-majors-out-earn-other-humanities/403555/
You make a compelling argument. I'm old. My frame of reference is the 1960s. Back then Liberal Arts degrees were useless. Also, I have a daughter with a BS in Psychology. She graduated with honors in the mid-1990s. The degree has been useless to her. Maybe times are changing.

Cuban is right in the sense that market demand will change, but I'm not sure Philosophy will be among the winners. Today's BS/MS engineers and computer scientists will be tomorrow's technicians and low level programmers. Off-shoring to cheap labor markets like India will continue.

So what will be left? Hard to say, but those at the pinnacle of science and technology -- with the most advanced degrees -- will be in demand. Otherwise, I'm betting on a new degree in mental telepathy to be in high demand. That's how aliens communicate and we will need to pick their brains to get after that zero-point free energy technology.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT