ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley best colleg RB in past decade

PSU.:.

Jun 18, 2012
Bloomsburg PA
According to one NFL scout he could be.

"When asking NFL scouts and general
managers for an early look at next year's class, one high-level executive summed up what many are feeling about Penn State's Saquon Barkley: He has the potential to be the best running back of the last decade. Even better than Leonard Fournette or Ezekiel Elliott."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...saquon-barkley-2018-rb-class-could-be-special

I love Barkley, but NFL Scouts seem to be full of opinions. I remember that Hackenberg was most certainly a first round talent and Kerry Collins had a hitch in his throw that was going to limit his success in the NFL. The actual correlation to drafted round and NFL success seems to be poor at best. That said...Barkley does have the potential to be a very good RB.

I love Barkley, but NFL Scouts seem to be full of opinions. I remember that Hackenberg was most certainly a first round talent and Kerry Collins had a hitch in his throw that was going to limit his success in the NFL. The actual correlation to drafted round and NFL success seems to be poor at best. That said...Barkley does have the potential to be a very good RB.

Barkley clearly has skills that cannot be taught. College football has seen fast or bruising running backs who were very successful behind good offensive lines who then didn't pan out in the nfl. Barkley has excelled behind mediocre offensive lines, and he has demonstrated skills that are rarely seen. It's not just north-south or east-west speed. It's the vision to find holes in tight spaces ( :eek: ) and the quickness to make people miss. He has instincts that are very rare. If Barkley stays healthy, he will be very successful in the nfl. Oh, and he's a good blocker and good receiver out of the backfield. The kid has it all.

According to one NFL scout he could be.

"When asking NFL scouts and general
managers for an early look at next year's class, one high-level executive summed up what many are feeling about Penn State's Saquon Barkley: He has the potential to be the best running back of the last decade. Even better than Leonard Fournette or Ezekiel Elliott."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...saquon-barkley-2018-rb-class-could-be-special

And they have Marcus Allen as first round talent on their big board. #14. That surprised me.

Barkley clearly has skills that cannot be taught. College football has seen fast or bruising running backs who were very successful behind good offensive lines who then didn't pan out in the nfl. Barkley has excelled behind mediocre offensive lines, and he has demonstrated skills that are rarely seen. It's not just north-south or east-west speed. It's the vision to find holes in tight spaces ( :eek: ) and the quickness to make people miss. He has instincts that are very rare. If Barkley stays healthy, he will be very successful in the nfl. Oh, and he's a good blocker and good receiver out of the backfield. The kid has it all.

I'd also add that Barkley has something else just as important - intelligence, football aptitude, and a humble, blue-collar work-ethic.
On paper, he seems to check every box NFL teams look for. The only thing that makes me question SB's judgment, is that he originally saw fit to commit to Rutgers ;)

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
I'd also add that Barkley has something else just as important - intelligence, football aptitude, and a humble, blue-collar work-ethic.
On paper, he seems to check every box NFL teams look for. The only thing that makes me question SB's judgment, is that he originally saw fit to commit to Rutgers ;)

Absolutely. He will impress people in interviews.

As for rutgres, he was just a young kid. He grew up quickly. :D

Gee, ya think?

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

He is very similar in style, build and athletic ability to Barry Sanders imho - can do it all, run inside, run outside, catch the ball, block, etc...

Um sorry to disappoint.

But Saq is far from perfect and he even admits it. So unless you ready your strap em up on the field you opinion is as good as mine Cochise.
Of course he would admit that. He's a humble kid, but trust me, he knows he's an excellent back.

Marcus Allen is a fine, fine player. If healthy, he'll make AA teams this season.
Fortunately for MAllen - and other Safeties - the S position has become the "in thing" in the NFL as of late.

About 15 drafted in the first 4 rounds last year

Hell - Delano Hill of Michigan (the definition of mediocre) went in the 3rd round - IIRC.

Given that history, is be real surprised if MAllen was available after the 4th round.

How much higher than that will largely - I think - depend on "who comes out"......
The two kids from Bama, and the kid from FSU - if they come out - will likely take up some of the early Safety slots (and maybe the whitehead kid from Pitt)

But it's hard to see - if he stays healthy and has a solid year - that Allen wouldn't get into that "top dozen" or so that should be gone by the middle of the draft.

Marcus Allen is a fine, fine player. If healthy, he'll make AA teams this season.

I agree, but I read that his 40 time wasn't so good. Granted, that is hardly the only factor, but there has been some criticism of his speed.

I agree, but I read that his 40 time wasn't so good. Granted, that is hardly the only factor, but there has been some criticism of his speed.
Whether it's due to speed - or something else - the fact that he never gets his hands on any passes is going to be the big black mark

NFL safeties are expected to break up passes - like the Fitzpatrick kid at Bama, or the Whitehead kid at Pitt.

He will have to show some of that - - - or he will be more of a "niche" prospect (which should still get him drafted mid rounds, I would think, thanks to his hugely active tackle numbers and good size and frame)

Allen will probably be one of best run support safeties in next year class. He probably didn't come out this year because of his pass defending skills. He needs some work on that.

This article is clearly not including the kick returner from Pitt, whatever his name is.

After watching some highlights of him, Fournette, and Elliott, it's not unreasonable to say that he's the best of the three.

He's about as fast as the other two. While Elliott's combine time was a little faster than Fournette's, it's hard to distinguish between the three with the naked eye.

Power wise, he's probably stronger than Elliott but not quite at Fournette's level; amazing how punishing of a runner Fournette is, even unnecessarily so.

However, Barkley clearly has the best moves, vision, and balance; and that's why he's the best of the three.

Reactions: Howie'81
A blind man riding backward on a galloping horse can see how freakin' good Barkley is.

Amazing talent.

Reactions: bjf1991
After watching some highlights of him, Fournette, and Elliott, it's not unreasonable to say that he's the best of the three.

He's about as fast as the other two. While Elliott's combine time was a little faster than Fournette's, it's hard to distinguish between the three with the naked eye.

Power wise, he's probably stronger than Elliott but not quite at Fournette's level; amazing how punishing of a runner Fournette is, even unnecessarily so.

However, Barkley clearly has the best moves, vision, and balance; and that's why he's the best of the three.

IMO Fournette is not even close to the player that both Elliot and Barkley are. I think He is going to be a bust in the NFL. He has zero lateral movement

CBS Sports has a story titled "The 17 most irreplaceable players in college football for 2017" and it says:

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: It's not just that he's the centerpiece of Penn State's offense as the team's leading rusher. That's important, but it only tells part of the story. Barkley is as complete a runner as you're going to find. He has size, power, vision, footwork, agility, burst, straight-line speed ... all of it. He's like if somebody started up "NCAA Football," went to Create A Player, selected running back and gave him all 99s. Barkley has the build and qualities of a power back, but he can turn defenders around in a phone booth and find creases like a smaller back. He is the truth.

CBS Sports has a story titled "The 17 most irreplaceable players in college football for 2017" and it says:

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State: It's not just that he's the centerpiece of Penn State's offense as the team's leading rusher. That's important, but it only tells part of the story. Barkley is as complete a runner as you're going to find. He has size, power, vision, footwork, agility, burst, straight-line speed ... all of it. He's like if somebody started up "NCAA Football," went to Create A Player, selected running back and gave him all 99s. Barkley has the build and qualities of a power back, but he can turn defenders around in a phone booth and find creases like a smaller back. He is the truth.

yep

i would add that he is also great pass catching threat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT