ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley at the NFL combine

Barkley has been recorded already with 4.3 forty, 40+inch veetical, 10+ broard and 30+ 225 lbs bench
He will destroy the combine but I would sit out if I was him. He can only hurt his draft stock.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Barkley has been recorded already with 4.3 forty, 40+inch veetical, 10+ broard and 30+ 225 lbs bench
He will destroy the combine but I would sit out if I was him. He can only hurt his draft stock.
The only way he hurts his draft stock is if he stinks it up at the combine and his pro-day at PSU. Other than that, a bad day at the combine would be chalked up to illness, "off" day, etc. Talk of literally hurting himself as a reason to avoid the combine is silly, the guy is busting his butt everyday working out, every day there is a chance to injure himself.

There is always the bad interview possibility, but he cannot avoid the interviews.

Reality is, Barkley has incredible game film running around, through, and over defenders while outrunning all of them. There is also film of 1 hand catches and making over the shoulder catches 40 yards down the field. He also has outstanding high school track times and youtube of his weight room exploits and is a great kid.

The only way the combine hurts him is if he shows up at 250 pounds and acts like a complete jerk. Not happening.

Reactions: LionJim
I still don't believe that he can do anything to hurt this draft stock barring an injury. Even if he ran a 4.5 he's shown breakaway speed so that would be completely disregarded. We know he won't interview poorly (watch him on ESPN's Game Day before the playoff semifinals) or come in out of shape. I don't understand how the combine could hurt him. The video trumps everything

Very few elite prospects attend the combine these days as it is a total no win situation. Barkley is an elite athlete, off the charts, and everyone with 2 eyes knows this. No reason whatsoever for him to participate.
The RB position has been viewed as a commodity now. There isn't as much drop off between the top tier and the second tier, and there are injury and overall longevity concerns at the position. Zeke Elliot participated two years ago, maybe because he wanted to establish himself as a top 5 draft pick as opposed to the best among the commodity types.

I hadn't even considered whether Barkley would compete in the measurable drills when I posed the question. I think and hope that he will, but there is some validity to the notion that more harm could potentially result as opposed to good.

Having all of the scouts there to see him do that in person would be much more impactful that them seeing those numbers published by Penn State without their verification. There is always someone who ends up being the "it" guy, who skyrockets up everyone's draft board. If Barkley doesn't go, then it could be another RB that surpasses him as top RB based upon a combine performance.

I don't really think there is that much of a chance for injury at the combine and if you do pull a hamstring then it's no different that no competing in the first place.

Very few elite prospects attend the combine these days as it is a total no win situation. Barkley is an elite athlete, off the charts, and everyone with 2 eyes knows this. No reason whatsoever for him to participate.

By saying attending are you saying literally in the building? Or you saying going through the drills? Because almost every top athlete will be attending to go through interviews/drug tests etc etc

I think Saquon will go and will compete. He is a competitor. He played in the bowl game when many "experts" said he shouldn't take that risk. The bowl game was a bigger risk than the combine. If he can even get close to the numbers he's recorded at Penn State, he's going to be quite impressive to say the least. And, I think the interviews will only increase his draft stock as his character and humility will shine.

I think Saquon will go and will compete. He is a competitor. He played in the bowl game when many "experts" said he shouldn't take that risk. The bowl game was a bigger risk than the combine. If he can even get close to the numbers he's recorded at Penn State, he's going to be quite impressive to say the least. And, I think the interviews will only increase his draft stock as his character and humility will shine.

No question he's a competitor. Those people saying he should sit were just looking out for his best interest. There's risk involved.

No question he's a competitor. Those people saying he should sit were just looking out for his best interest. There's risk involved.

I agree. And I'm not saying I disagreed with those who were saying he should sit out the bowl game. I just think, based on past decisions he's made, that he will fully participate in the combine.

I agree. And I'm not saying I disagreed with those who were saying he should sit out the bowl game. I just think, based on past decisions he's made, that he will fully participate in the combine.

That's very fair...and you're right. He seems like someone that won't skip an opportunity to showcase what he can do. I'd just be surprised if he ran the 40...Penn State is a fast track...do everything but run at Indy IMO

By saying attending are you saying literally in the building? Or you saying going through the drills? Because almost every top athlete will be attending to go through interviews/drug tests etc etc
Drils. He should do quite well in the interview components.

There's risk involved when you walk out your door to go to work in the morning. Does that mean you should stay at home all day because something bad might happen?

He's a competitor. He's trained his entire life. He will go to the combine, participate in most, if not all, of the drills, and set records in the process. Even though they say it every year, he will probably be the highest rated prospect they've seen in forever. The kid has one chance to do the combine. He won't pass on this opportunity.

There's risk involved when you walk out your door to go to work in the morning. Does that mean you should stay at home all day because something bad might happen?

He's a competitor. He's trained his entire life. He will go to the combine, participate in most, if not all, of the drills, and set records in the process. Even though they say it every year, he will probably be the highest rated prospect they've seen in forever. The kid has one chance to do the combine. He won't pass on this opportunity.

My post was about the bowl game not the combine....the odds of being injury while playing football are significantly higher than just leaving your house. I think he does everything but run the 40. I wouldn't advise any Penn Stater to run at the combine with our fast track

Bottom line: Barkley isn’t a pussy, half-ass, mail-it-in dude. He is an all-out baller, a terrific competitor and human. He rises to the challenge and his efforts at the combine will not buck that trend.

“Winners want the ball in their hand with the game on the line.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT