ADVERTISEMENT

awesome vacation suggestion

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
FYI, just had the best short vacation. I had a conference in Vegas Monday-Wednesday so decided to take my sons along. It was an awesome time and thought some others might enjoy similar:
  • Flew into Phoenix on Thursday, got a rental car (to be dropped off in Vegas) for $50 after putting on ~ 1,000 miles
  • Drove to Sedona after making a quick stop at Montezuma's Castle.
  • Hiked two days in Sedona...Arizona
  • Checked out Meteor Crater, which is the largest impact crater in the world (?). On the way, saw three dudes skate boarding at 40 mph coming the other direction down a hill on a windy road in Oak Canyon.
  • Instead of driving back to Flagstaff and going up to the Grand Canyon, we drove East and up through Hopi reservation country (route 87 and 264 to Tuba City). This was surprisingly scenic with some awesome vistas and a great learning experience.
  • We then entered Grand Canyon from the East, stopping at a few places along the way.
  • We did the GC, then drove down to Williams for the night. Next morning, we drove the 3.5 hours through Kingman and Boulder City to the Hoover Dam. Again, awesome vistas and views all along the way. Not unusual to drive 50 miles see nobody and nothing.
  • We then did the Hoover Dam (passing lake Meade).
  • I dropped off the rental car ($90 after all of the add ons) and checked into the Cosmo on the strip.
My two millennial son's realized, as we took an uber from the airport car rental to the Cosmopolitan, that we never turned on the radio all week. We hit Phoenix at 10:30am on Thursday and checked into the Cosmo at 6pm on Sunday.

Sedona, $300. Car rental, $90. Grand Canyon, $400....ten hours in the car with two grown sons, priceless.

FYI, just had the best short vacation. I had a conference in Vegas Monday-Wednesday so decided to take my sons along. It was an awesome time and thought some others might enjoy similar:
  • Flew into Phoenix on Thursday, got a rental car (to be dropped off in Vegas) for $50 after putting on ~ 1,000 miles
  • Checked out Meteor Crater, which is the largest impact crater in the world (?). On the way, saw three dudes skate boarding at 40 mph coming the other direction down a hill on a windy road in Oak Canyon.
  • Instead of driving back to Flagstaff and going up to the Grand Canyon, we drove East and up through Hopi reservation country (route 87 and 264 to Tuba City). This was surprisingly scenic with some awesome vistas and a great learning experience.
  • We then entered Grand Canyon from the East, stopping at a few places along the way.
  • We did the GC, then drove down to Williams for the night. Next morning, we drove the 3.5 hours through Kingman and Boulder City to the Hoover Dam. Again, awesome vistas and views all along the way. Not unusual to drive 50 miles see nobody and nothing.
  • I dropped off the rental car ($90 after all of the add ons) and checked into the Cosmo on the strip.
My two millennial son's realized, as we took an uber from the airport car rental to the Cosmopolitan, that we never turned on the radio all week. We hit Phoenix at 10:30am on Thursday and checked into the Cosmo at 6pm on Sunday.

Sedona, $300. Car rental, $90. Grand Canyon, $400....ten hours in the car with two grown sons, priceless.

Outstanding!

Last year we took a "Canyons Tour" by bus. Did Sedona on way to the Grand Canyon (2 days), followed by Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon & Lake Powell (2 days), Bryce Canyon (8,000 feet), Zion Canyon. Ended our trip in Las Vegas and did an all day tour of Hoover Dam. Sites were beautiful; like children, can not say which is best. Boy was it hot average daytime temperature was around 110 F.

Reactions: Obliviax

Interesting. Did not know kids still used radio.

bohemian-rhapsody.png.cf.png

Where did you stay in Sedona and GC, and which rental car co?
Thanks, I might do this with my boys
  • Courtyard Marriott (on points). Brand new in a great location just outside of town. Can't believe it was a Courtyard, honestly.
  • Avis, Hertz had similar pricing....I guess people fly to Vegas and drive to Phoenix so they like people to do the opposite to balance the car locations.
  • GC lodging was a challenge. I ended up getting a last minute room at the Red Feather Lodge. But could have stayed on the rim, but we had three people. Trick is that people cancel 48 hours prior to their stay (which is when you can cancel without penalty). I almost stayed in a "gert" in williams I found on VRBO but realized it had no power outlets (to charge phones) or shower. Non-stater!
Couryard in Sedona:

flgcs_main01_r.jpg

• Courtyard Marriott (on points). Brand new in a great location just outside of town. Can't believe it was a Courtyard, honestly.
  • Avis, Hertz had similar pricing....I guess people fly to Vegas and drive to Phoenix so they like people to do the opposite to balance the car locations.
  • GC lodging was a challenge. I ended up getting a last minute room at the Red Feather Lodge. But could have stayed on the rim, but we had three people. Trick is that people cancel 48 hours prior to their stay (which is when you can cancel without penalty). I almost stayed in a "gert" in williams I found on VRBO but realized it had no power outlets (to charge phones) or shower. Non-stater!
Couryard in Sedona:

flgcs_main01_r.jpg
Wow.

Reactions: Zenophile
Interesting. Did not know kids still used radio.

bohemian-rhapsody.png.cf.png
ha! OK, hooked their Samsung phones via bluetooth to the car audio system to play Spotify. OK, you kind of got me....they did it once to have me listen to Kanye's Lift Yourself (Poopity Scoop) song. We discussed what we felt the artist's meaning was.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Kmase21

Great trip...I LOVE that part of the country, and particularly Sedona...truly one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and btw, calling the drive down Oak Canyon merely “windy” is an understatement. Those are some “toss your cookies” switchbacks.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax

I did something similar 20 years ago. I don't know how much it's changed since then, but filling stations were scarce and it made for some interesting moments "running in fumes". I learned to fill up at every gas station we drove by.

ha! OK, hooked their Samsung phones via bluetooth to the car audio system to play Spotify. OK, you kind of got me....they did it once to have me listen to Kanye's Lift Yourself (Poopity Scoop) song. We discussed what we felt the artist's meaning was.

You and your sons seem to have a great relationship. I'm 30, If I played that song in front of my dad, I think he'd throw me out of the car haha

Great trip...I LOVE that part of the country, and particularly Sedona...truly one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and btw, calling the drive down Oak Canyon merely “windy” is an understatement. Those are some “toss your cookies” switchbacks.
I took a screen shot of the road on Google Maps on my phone. Awesome watching these kids on skateboards shoot past us. It was like "did I just see that?" moment. We all laughed.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
DO NOT STAY in the YavApai Lodge. Would not wish that place on my worst enemy.
I stayed there once. Agree it's not the greatest, but I didn't think it was SO bad, especially considering it's located ON the rim and especially when compared to Phantom Ranch, which was awesome but totally roughing it. Besides, our stay was a long time ago and included one of the highlights of that GC trip for me: when we finally arrived after dark, I hauled all our luggage on my back walking between two giant elk on our way to the room (spitting distance from either but they were laying down and weren't agitated at all--seemed very used to having humans around). I was so exhausted that in what was probably youthful indiscretion. But in the moment, I just didn't care. There was no way I was going all the way around. My wife stayed back and took pictures.

They just laid there staring so curiously that I didn't know whether I'd be antlered, left alone or offered a helping hand. But I knew the third option wasn't likely because my wife didn't even offer...

Maybe that gave the lodge an extra half star...

Last SW trip we did we could see brush fires from the strip and saw many more when plane took off for home.

Just got back from Tucson on Thurs. Love it there.
On Sunday I did an early morning hike in Sabino Canyon. Glad it was early because as I was finishing up the trial it was 108 at 10:30 a.m. The nice thing though is once the sun went down it was a very comfortable.

yeah! best courtyard ever. since this is getting a lot of traction, here are my two hiking locations in Sedona (and we didn't scratch the surface)

Devils Bridge
maxresdefault.jpg

Broken Arrow:
1602-chicken-point-bell-rock.jpg
Did both those hikes - Broken Arrow on a recommendation from semi-locals; Devil’s Bridge because everyone does it. Broken Arrow’s payoff at that amphitheater is stunning.

I want to spend a week there and do about 14-15 trails

yeah! best courtyard ever. since this is getting a lot of traction, here are my two hiking locations in Sedona (and we didn't scratch the surface)

Devils Bridge
maxresdefault.jpg

Broken Arrow:

Nice Pics. I loved Sedona. I did the Devils Bridge as well but did not walk out on it. LOL.
Oak Canyon is gorgeous oh hell all of Sedona is gorgeous.
I have to say though, I was unimpressed with the so called "vortex's"...I felt nothing. LOL.
here's link to some of my pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60907528@N02/albums/72157653496841455

Did both those hikes - Broken Arrow on a recommendation from semi-locals; Devil’s Bridge because everyone does it. Broken Arrow’s payoff at that amphitheater is stunning.

I want to spend a week there and do about 14-15 trails
I saw some older dudes walking strait up some really challenging inclines. It was impressive. Also, lots of people took their dogs. One black dog, german shepherd looking thing, was just freestyling while looking for shade as his human caught up.

Reactions: BBrown
Nice Pics. I loved Sedona. I did the Devils Bridge as well but did not walk out on it. LOL.
I have to say though, I was unimpressed with the so called "vortex's"...I felt nothing. LOL.
Wow...those are awesome...see some monument valley in there aw well. I don't think my iphone 7 photos came out anywhere near that nice!

I saw some older dudes walking strait up some really challenging inclines. It was impressive. Also, lots of people took their dogs. One black dog, german shepherd looking thing, was just freestyling while looking for shade as his human caught up.

Saw the same thing.
I was amazed at how fit and trim everyone in Tucson and Sedona are and I'm talking elderly people.
I saw 70 year olds biking up Gates Pass in Tucson this past week. That is one long uphill climb. Very impressive.

Wow...those are awesome...see some monument valley in there aw well. I don't think my iphone 7 photos came out anywhere near that nice!

Thanks. You would be surprised at how good your camera phone can be.
I loved Monument Valley, I was only there for 2 days but could have spent a lot more time there.

That's one reason why I enjoy taking car trips to various cities with my son. The time in the car makes it easy to talk about everything and anything whereas on a plane that doesn't happen. Sounds like a great trip Obli, the GC is on my bucket list, soon before I won't be able to do all that hiking.

Hit Oak Canyon and the Meteor Crater (barely making it back to PHX for my flight home to Colorado - the maps are wrong, Arizona 99 is NOT a thru route from Winslow to Arizona 260!!!) on the Sunday after the Fiesta Bowl.

The Meteor Crater is strangely fascinating given what it is - just a (very very big) hole in the ground.

That's one reason why I enjoy taking car trips to various cities with my son. The time in the car makes it easy to talk about everything and anything whereas on a plane that doesn't happen. Sounds like a great trip Obli, the GC is on my bucket list, soon before I won't be able to do all that hiking.
IMHO, the GC is the single greatest (non-living) thing I've ever seen.

Great pics. Did you take these from the car or were most taken while hiking? Did you back pack and over night in remote locations? You look like the explorer type!

Devils Bridge
maxresdefault.jpg

Broken Arrow:
Wow..,truly AMAZING!!

And might I add you’re very limber for your age, though I’m not sure that was the best place for you to stop for a yoga break :).

Couryard in Sedona:

flgcs_main01_r.jpg
thanks, I have a ton of Marriott points - that CY looks great

Sounds like a great trip. How come whenever I return a rental car it's like $289? I guess I don't travel enough.

Great pics. Did you take these from the car or were most taken while hiking? Did you back pack and over night in remote locations? You look like the explorer type!

Thanks. I like to hike but I wouldn't call myself an "explorer type". When I pick the place I want to go, usually the SW, I start to google hikes and look for books. You can get some really great deals on used books on amazon that have day hikes or best hikes. I'll do anything from a 1 mile to 6 mile hike but don't do any overnight or at least haven't yet. Almost all of my pics come from hikes. The best place I've been too, so far, that you can see some really great scenes from a car or pull out is in Bryce Canyon.
I'm working (post processing) my pics now from the Tuscon Trip.
That was a nice trip. One of the most interesting stops on that trip was the Titan Missile base in Sahuarita, AZ. They have tours set up that include a simulated launch. Tons of really cool information.

Thanks. I like to hike but I wouldn't call myself an "explorer type". When I pick the place I want to go, usually the SW, I start to google hikes and look for books. You can get some really great deals on used books on amazon that have day hikes or best hikes. I'll do anything from a 1 mile to 6 mile hike but don't do any overnight or at least haven't yet. Almost all of my pics come from hikes. The best place I've been too, so far, that you can see some really great scenes from a car or pull out is in Bryce Canyon.
I'm working (post processing) my pics now from the Tuscon Trip.
That was a nice trip. One of the most interesting stops on that trip was the Titan Missile base in Sahuarita, AZ. They have tours set up that include a simulated launch. Tons of really cool information.
please share when completed...I'd love to see them.

Reactions: bytir
please share when completed...I'd love to see them.

Thanks I will.
I like to post them whenever someone has a question or asks about places that I've also been to.
That way if I give a suggestion of something to see in Sedona, like Oak Creek Canyon, they have a visual
reference of what they will see and if they want to check it out.

I stayed there once. Agree it's not the greatest, but I didn't think it was SO bad, especially considering it's located ON the rim and especially when compared to Phantom Ranch, which was awesome but totally roughing it. Besides, our stay was a long time ago and included one of the highlights of that GC trip for me: when we finally arrived after dark, I hauled all our luggage on my back walking between two giant elk on our way to the room (spitting distance from either but they were laying down and weren't agitated at all--seemed very used to having humans around). I was so exhausted that in what was probably youthful indiscretion. But in the moment, I just didn't care. There was no way I was going all the way around. My wife stayed back and took pictures.

They just laid there staring so curiously that I didn't know whether I'd be antlered, left alone or offered a helping hand. But I knew the third option wasn't likely because my wife didn't even offer...

Maybe that gave the lodge an extra half star...

Yavapai Lodge is no where near the rim. Yes, we also saw elk up close and personal. Just loved (yea?) the hike of almost 1/4 mile to get breakfast thru the woods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT