ADVERTISEMENT

Auto Port motel

Air Force 1

May 29, 2002
Smithsburg, MD
So I’ve starting watching an older show called Hotel Impossible and they were at the Auto Port. It was the first Motel in Pennsylvania. Was wondering if anyone knows if it’s still in business.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Back in the '80's I knew a guy that was in the paper supply business (think "The Office"). The Autoport was his client. He sold them all of their paper products...toilet paper, paper towels, paper napkins, cocktail napkins, stationery, etc.

He could get me a comped room for football games. Back then the place was always really nicely maintained and at the time I had no idea that it was a swingers place. Not sure if it was then or if that happened later. It really seemed like a nice family kind of place.

The Autport ?
Nothing that can’t be fixed with a little spackilng and some napalm.

Reactions: LionJim
Moms and I are super cheap and used AP all the time and walked in and out of town. We visited sons 1+2 one football weekend, got up early on Sunday and drove back to Chicago on cold showers. Moms didn’t talk to me til Youngstown

Reactions: brupsu
Back in the '80's I knew a guy that was in the paper supply business (think "The Office"). The Autoport was his client. He sold them all of their paper products...toilet paper, paper towels, paper napkins, cocktail napkins, stationery, etc.

He could get me a comped room for football games. Back then the place was always really nicely maintained and at the time I had no idea that it was a swingers place. Not sure if it was then or if that happened later. It really seemed like a nice family kind of place.
The place was a very nice place until the Myer family sold it. It went down hill from there. It’s a shame to drive by and see it in its current condition. I’m surprised the borough hasn’t taken action against the owner. It really is an eye sore.

Stayed there in the 60s at least once when my dad was in State College on business. Was nice--then--and I don't think there were that many choices. Times have changed.

They just said it use to be a swingers motel in the 90s.

Stayed there in 1994 for the USC game weekend. Funny, made a comment to the buddy I shared the room with that the place looked 'cheesy' and whatever you do, don't walk on floor bare-footed... little did I know.

Saw that episode and when the guy turned on the black light in the room - yikes and to steal a line from Guardians of the Galaxy "it looks like a Jackson Pollock Painting in there"

Reactions: BBrown
Worked the front desk and did the night audit in the mid 70's. Mr. Meyer was a great guy to work for and kept the place in tip top shape. Some may recall that his daughter was kidnapped for ransom but found and returned safely. Kidnappers were local and caught.

Speaking of former State College hotels who are no longer with us, does anyone local know what's going in at the former motel next to the Graduate apartment building on Atherton? It's been closed for quite some time, but I noticed a "sold" sign on the property when I was up there late this summer.

Speaking of former State College hotels who are no longer with us, does anyone local know what's going in at the former motel next to the Graduate apartment building on Atherton? It's been closed for quite some time, but I noticed a "sold" sign on the property when I was up there late this summer.

I believe you are referring to the Imperial. Looks like it is being remodelled.

Potentially the same people that own the Autoport property now

Reactions: step.eng69
I believe you are referring to the Imperial. Looks like it is being remodelled.
Yes, that's it. I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up meeting the bulldozer - even if you want to use the parcel as a hotel, I can't imagine that a remodeled version of a mid-century motor inn is the best way to go about doing it in today's day and age.

Worked the front desk and did the night audit in the mid 70's. Mr. Meyer was a great guy to work for and kept the place in tip top shape. Some may recall that his daughter was kidnapped for ransom but found and returned safely. Kidnappers were local and caught.

That story is correct. It was written about in a copy of Readers Digest as well.

Imperial 400 motel. Lived in a great house 128 s atherton right next door. Many many great stories.

one is the tremendous back yard for frisbee. Would skip the fris off the solid two story back wall of the imperial. When we through too high and the frisbee went on the roof, there was a tree that was easy to climb right onto the roof to retreive it.

I think the Autoport was sold but the new owners haven’t done anything with it yet, which is a shame because it’s an eyesore but could be a gold mine.

I had thought that it might have been listed as a historic site, but if it ever was, I can't find a reference.

I would have thought so too. I thought it was PA oldest motel?
I had thought that it might have been listed as a historic site, but if it ever was, I can't find a reference.
If you haven't already, try this address....

EDIT:....If the new owners are building a new hotel, I would assume the existing Auto Port will be razed. If it were registered as a Historical site, SHPO wouldn't allow the building demolished.

I wonder if the owners are going to refurbish the Auto Port and build a new hotel adjacent. You can check the minutes of this year's Planning Commission. CDT has the meetings from earlier this year, have to join to view.

"Plans for a new mixed-use building including a 122-room Home2 Suites hotel to be located at 1401 S. Atherton St. were submitted to the State College Borough planning department on Jan. 17. Home2 Suites is a Hilton brand that offers extended-stay studio and one-bedroom suites and has amenities such as saltwater pools, outdoor lounge areas and fitness and laundry facilities
The new building, which would sit on 2.64 acres of the 3.85-acre property, also would include eight apartment units, one of which will be income-restricted to meet the borough's inclusionary housing ordinance.
According to borough senior planner Greg Garthe, the restaurant and lounge building will not be demolished as part of the redevelopment. The new building will be constructed on the west side of the property, adjacent to the shopping plaza that contains Talbot’s, Papa John’s and other businesses. A small office building, a commercial building to the rear of the shopping plaza and one of the motel buildings will be demolished for the new hotel.
Sponsored by

Parking will be adjacent to the new building and behind the shopping plaza.
The Autoport was Pennsylvania's oldest motel before closing in December 2015. Owners Greg and Lydia Mussi, who had faced foreclosure and auction since 2014 and declared bankruptcy earlier in 2015, sold the property to South Atherton Real Estate 1 LP for $2.1 million.

Since The Autoport closed, the property has remained vacant. Last summer crews were seen removing equipment from the building.
South Atherton Real Estate 1 and Concord Hospitality are the developers for the new hotel. South Atherton Real Estate has the same Montoursville address as Welteroth Property Group, which has not returned a phone call seeking comment. Concord Hospitality develops and manages hotels around the country.
Plans for the new building are scheduled to be presented to the State College Design Review Board on Feb. 18 and Planning Commission on Feb. 20."
Published on February 05, 2020 12:58 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitt1300
I have a vague memory of staying there back in the 70s- I believe that excessive drinking may have been involved

Reactions: step.eng69
I stayed at the Autoport several times in the years 2003-2010 and always enjoyed my stays. It was a family run business and I liked the diner part that was always full every Sunday after Saturday games. Great memories!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT