ADVERTISEMENT

Audio books....

palehorse

May 29, 2001
I have recently set a goal for my personal reading volume that I think I'm going to have a difficult time reaching and I'm wandering if those of you that have switched to audio books feel you are getting as much out of them as reading? I don't have a long daily commute, but occasionally drive long distances and I could also use them at the gym, etc. Thoughts?

I have recently set a goal for my personal reading volume that I think I'm going to have a difficult time reaching and I'm wandering if those of you that have switched to audio books feel you are getting as much out of them as reading? I don't have a long daily commute, but occasionally drive long distances and I could also use them at the gym, etc. Thoughts?
I drive an hour each way and download free audio books from the library. It lets me de-stress from the traffic and the days work. I highly recommend it.

I know people who absolutely love audio books. It's probably great for long distance drives. I could never quite get into them though I work in the industry and have free access.

Reactions: palehorse
my mother who is 91 and blind receives 1/2 dozen of so audio books weekly through the National Library Service (NLS) & Association of the Blind

I drive an hour each way and download free audio books from the library. It lets me de-stress from the traffic and the days work. I highly recommend it.

Do you feel it detracts from the experience compared to traditional?

Have been listening to Killing The Rising Sun on audio for last few days. I listen for a bit before I go to bed. Find it is really relaxing. I use Audible.

I buy both the kindle version and audio for the same book. My preference is reading. I walk 6 miles most days at a parkway where I only need to lookout for runners, not traffic. My only problem is that the more interesting the audio book the slower I walk. Find no difference in retention with either format. I will add that when using both formats they sync with each other and you'll not have a problem retaining your place in the book.

The family and I have listened to Audio books on longer drives, and pod casts on shorter ones. If it's a good narrator, it doesn't seem to lose anything. The guy on the Harry Potter series is awesome. We all like different music so it is a nice compromise.

Did my first ever audio book on a drive to Wyoming this year (28 hours). James Patterson. Kept my attention and I did not think it would. I chose a shorter one, 7 cds.

My experience after enjoying both audio books and old school books for several years now, if you have a steady diet of both, they sort of blend together. I honestly can't remember what I read in bed or listened to on the treadmill. The key is to read (listen) as much as possible. We are collectively only really paying attention about 10% of the time, so if you try to improve your life by doing so as much as possible (and balancing educational stuff with guilty pleasure stuff) you will be amazed how much you retain. In one year, you will probably get as much out of it as you did your entire sophomore year (intellectually) at PSU.

And pay a lot less... :)

I know people who absolutely love audio books. It's probably great for long distance drives. I could never quite get into them though I work in the industry and have free access.
My experience after enjoying both audio books and old school books for several years now, if you have a steady diet of both, they sort of blend together. I honestly can't remember what I read in bed or listened to on the treadmill. The key is to read (listen) as much as possible. We are collectively only really paying attention about 10% of the time, so if you try to improve your life by doing so as much as possible (and balancing educational stuff with guilty pleasure stuff) you will be amazed how much you retain. In one year, you will probably get as much out of it as you did your entire sophomore year (intellectually) at PSU.

And pay a lot less... :)

This is kind of the plan. The goal is at least 60 books a year with @ a 50/50 split of enjoyment and self improvement. I may try to do the SI books with the audio format since that is the style that I lose interest in more easily. I typically have the opposite problem with something I'm reading for pleasure.

I owe my life to audio books. They kept me awake during long drives.

Love hearing this about audio books. It took quite a while for them to take off and even longer for the libraries to figure out an acceptable platform to download them.

I like you didn't read much at all. Used to read volumes when I was young and had time. I have been doing audio books for years. I started with cds in my car. I drive about a hour a day total to work.

Recently I started using Playaways (see example in link below) when I jog and walk the dog and when I walk around my building at work to take a break. These are nice because you don't have to worry about carrying your cell or ipod. Just put a battery in and go.

Oh yea, I get everything free from the library. I joined 2 counties to ensure I can get things fast and in case one doesn't have what I am looking for.

I am on book 4 of 5 Game Of Thrones right now. Each one is over 40 hours of audio. The great thing for me is that it is rewarding to know that wow, I exercised that much in a month or whenever I complete the book.

Go for it, you will never look back!

https://lincc.clermont.lib.oh.us/se...,B/frameset&FF=aking+stephen+++++1947&24,,602

I buy both the kindle version and audio for the same book. My preference is reading. I walk 6 miles most days at a parkway where I only need to lookout for runners, not traffic. My only problem is that the more interesting the audio book the slower I walk. Find no difference in retention with either format. I will add that when using both formats they sync with each other and you'll not have a problem retaining your place in the book.

I use audible and love it. Find little meaningful distinction in terms of retention but I've been interested in being able to easily switch between print and audio. Didn't know I could sync. Upon reading your post, I checked it out and am psyched to give it a try. Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT