ADVERTISEMENT

Attending The Masters Tournament

BRETTPSU

Sep 18, 2002
Found out yesterday a friend was selected for the Monday practice round at the Masters. We've always had a deal if he draws I go and vice versa. Anyone ever attend the Masters? Practice round or championship? Any tips for the whole experience? Any good food joints in Augusta? Hotel or Airbnb recommendations? Thanks

Reactions: GregInPitt
I've been to practice rounds a few times. Here is my take:

There are no cellphones allowed, but you can bring in a camera. Do so. You will want pics of that place.

Go around the practice green by the clubhouse to Founders Circle. They will take your picture, free of charge, in front of the clubhouse. It's the only chance you will get to see Magnolia Lane, and some of the Par 3 course. I didn't know about this the first couple of times I went. Glad I found it this time.

Food and drink are quite affordable. Beers/sodas come in plastic souvenir Masters cups. Drink up and keep these nice souvenirs.

You can bring a chair, but it cannot have arms on it. I say don't bring your own, and just buy a Masters chair at the gift shop. They sell them at the main gift shop, and at a couple of the small stands around the course. They are only around $30, and are nice, heavy duty camping chairs. And you can place the chair where ever you want on the course, and no one will screw with it. Go back and sit in your reserved seat whenever you want.

Hit the gift shop as soon as you get there. The line to get it gets LONG. That's when you can get your chair, and other stuff you might want. They have lockers you can keep your stuff in, or you can mail the stuff home from a place right next door to the gift shop.

Take some time to sit on the 16th hole and watch the players try to skip shots across the pond and onto the green. Cool thing to watch.

Plan on a lot of walking. I don't see how you can go there and not walk the whole course from 1 - 18. The course is VERY hilly, so prepare for all that.

Hotels will gauge the crap out of you that week. This year I stayed in Aiken, SC at a dumpy Days Inn, I've done Airbnb before as well (also in Aiken). Aiken is only about 25-30 minutes from the course. I would try Airbnb first. Much more reasonably priced.

Plan to get there before the gates open in the morning (8am, I think?). Traffic around Augusta is ridiculous around this time, so leave early.

At the end of the day, stop in to the Hooters right down Washington Rd from the course and have a beer. John Daly will be there selling his merchandise. Buy a towel or something small, which will enable you to get a picture with him. Nice guy.
The place is worth the hype. Enjoy the piss out of yourself.

Found out yesterday a friend was selected for the Monday practice round at the Masters. We've always had a deal if he draws I go and vice versa. Anyone ever attend the Masters? Practice round or championship? Any tips for the whole experience? Any good food joints in Augusta? Hotel or Airbnb recommendations? Thanks
Get there early, free parking and they let you in before the opening time states. Do your shopping early. They have a place right next to each store that will keep your stuff till you pick it up. Stores get really crowded towards the end of the day. If cost of hotels is an issue, staying in Columbia SC is a 40-minute ride on one road and has lots of places to stay. Start at hole one and walk the whole course first. Gives you the afternoon to do selected things like getting your picture taken in front of the clubhouse with the symbol in flowers. see the par 3 course...

@NoBareFeet Thanks for the great suggestions.
A coworker mentioned the Masters lottery earlier this year because her husband has been trying to get tickets for years. I entered on a whim and was selected for the Tuesday practice round. Lucky as heck but definitely looking forward to it.

Reactions: BRETTPSU
Never been to a Masters. But the above advice seems spot on. I've attended every U.S. Open at Oakmont in my lifetime. The last one I went to buy a shirt and had one all picked out, the same style as one I alreaday had that I knew I like the fit, but decided to wait until later so I didn't have to carry it around. Poor decision. They are putting out merchandise like it's feed for pigs and styles get sold out quickly and are replaced by other styles.

I'd played Oakmont multiple time so walking the course wasn't as much of a priority but at the Masters I'd take that advice as well.

I just purchased Thursday tickets to the PGA next year in Louisville for my two sons and I, where my youngest son still attends seminary. We'll parlay that with one or two rounds of golf locally there - plenty of great public courses in Louisville. Playing a couple rounds in GA might add to your trip - something to consider.

I've been to practice rounds a few times. Here is my take:

There are no cellphones allowed, but you can bring in a camera. Do so. You will want pics of that place.

Go around the practice green by the clubhouse to Founders Circle. They will take your picture, free of charge, in front of the clubhouse. It's the only chance you will get to see Magnolia Lane, and some of the Par 3 course. I didn't know about this the first couple of times I went. Glad I found it this time.

Food and drink are quite affordable. Beers/sodas come in plastic souvenir Masters cups. Drink up and keep these nice souvenirs.

You can bring a chair, but it cannot have arms on it. I say don't bring your own, and just buy a Masters chair at the gift shop. They sell them at the main gift shop, and at a couple of the small stands around the course. They are only around $30, and are nice, heavy duty camping chairs. And you can place the chair where ever you want on the course, and no one will screw with it. Go back and sit in your reserved seat whenever you want.

Hit the gift shop as soon as you get there. The line to get it gets LONG. That's when you can get your chair, and other stuff you might want. They have lockers you can keep your stuff in, or you can mail the stuff home from a place right next door to the gift shop.

Take some time to sit on the 16th hole and watch the players try to skip shots across the pond and onto the green. Cool thing to watch.

Plan on a lot of walking. I don't see how you can go there and not walk the whole course from 1 - 18. The course is VERY hilly, so prepare for all that.

Hotels will gauge the crap out of you that week. This year I stayed in Aiken, SC at a dumpy Days Inn, I've done Airbnb before as well (also in Aiken). Aiken is only about 25-30 minutes from the course. I would try Airbnb first. Much more reasonably priced.

Plan to get there before the gates open in the morning (8am, I think?). Traffic around Augusta is ridiculous around this time, so leave early.

At the end of the day, stop in to the Hooters right down Washington Rd from the course and have a beer. John Daly will be there selling his merchandise. Buy a towel or something small, which will enable you to get a picture with him. Nice guy.
The place is worth the hype. Enjoy the piss out of yourself.
This is all spot on. Make sure you get a peach ice cream sandwich.

We flew in to Charlotte then played a course south of it. Stayed 3 nights outside of columbia and played Timberlake near Chapin on Lake Murray the next day. Dustin Johnson's grandfather lives there and DJ played there growing up. Really nice course. Masters the last full day. Drove back to Charlotte the day afterwards.

Been to Augusta many times and have played the course as well.. I love the practice rounds ! Make sure you walk the entire course so you see every hole up close…16 is pretty cool to watch as the Pros will attempt to skip the ball off the water.. also check out the angle and spot where Tiger hit his famous chip shot for Birdie.. greatest Nike Golf “ commercial” ever…Augusta is magical.. have fun !

After i gave my reply, i thought, you get 4 tickets for practice rounds. If you two need someone to show you around, I may have a suggestion 😁

Biggest tip that I received and I share with others…get there 45 minutes to a hour before listed gate open, use the South Gate to enter, and head straight to Amen Corner. You’ll get 5-10 minutes there with a very small group, before the masses make it down there from the Main Gate. Much preferable for me than worrying about merchandise or staking out a spot elsewhere…and once a few groups come through and it gets crowded, hit up the concession stand behind the 12th tee for breakfast.

Never been to a Masters. But the above advice seems spot on. I've attended every U.S. Open at Oakmont in my lifetime. The last one I went to buy a shirt and had one all picked out, the same style as one I alreaday had that I knew I like the fit, but decided to wait until later so I didn't have to carry it around. Poor decision. They are putting out merchandise like it's feed for pigs and styles get sold out quickly and are replaced by other styles.

I'd played Oakmont multiple time so walking the course wasn't as much of a priority but at the Masters I'd take that advice as well.

I just purchased Thursday tickets to the PGA next year in Louisville for my two sons and I, where my youngest son still attends seminary. We'll parlay that with one or two rounds of golf locally there - plenty of great public courses in Louisville. Playing a couple rounds in GA might add to your trip - something to consider.
I highly recommend dining at Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse while in Louisville. This is the restaurant where Ruby refused to serve OJ Simpson and had him thrown out. Great restaurant!

I highly recommend dining at Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse while in Louisville. This is the restaurant where Ruby refused to serve OJ Simpson and had him thrown out. Great restaurant!
Our son is kind of a world traveler, as he's been to Indonesia a couple of times and we generally let him pick where we eat. So steakhouses are out and food from countries we never hardly know exist seem to be in when we are in Louisville. Other than our favorite pizza place, whose name escapes me at the moment........ Edit: The pizza place is "The Post".

@NoBareFeet Thanks for the great suggestions.
A coworker mentioned the Masters lottery earlier this year because her husband has been trying to get tickets for years. I entered on a whim and was selected for the Tuesday practice round. Lucky as heck but definitely looking forward to it.
It is a privilege- enjoy! Nothing like it!!

I wouldn’t miss the opening tee shots by Jack, Gary, Tom. I kick myself for having missed it when I was there.

Walk the entire course. 15 green bleachers is a great spot to see 15 and 16.

Here’s my writeup of my trip.

Reading this thread, Brett. This seems very expensive and a royal pain in the ass.

Tell you what, I’ll be happy to take those tickets off your hands and simplify your life. DM me. I’ll even buy you lunch.

I live an hour from Augusta. Been there multiple times for practice rounds and tournament rounds. All suggestions above are spot on. I will add that if flying into ATL consider stopping at Reynolds Lake Oconee (halfway to Augusta from Atlanta) to either stay an hour out from the course (cheaper) and/or to get a few rounds of golf in during the trip. At Reynolds there are six championship courses designed by Fazio, Rees Jones, Bob Cupp and Nicklaus and there are lodging options on and off site.

Last edited:
I have been fortunate enough to attend 7-8 times both practice and the tournament. Monday is fun because guys are relaxed and very lighthearted. As some have said you need to walk the entire course. I think you will be amazed by a couple things. Zero rough you cane see that on TV but still shocking. The thing that TV doesn't do justice too are the elevation changes. It is pristine obviously and doesn't look that hard, only because we don't get to hit a few putts. Can't comment on local stuff. Had a good friend who lived in Augusta for the first few trips and then I lived in Atlanta for 20 years and it would be a day trip. Very special enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT