ADVERTISEMENT

Athletics fundraising has flatlined

I disagree. Peetz & Erickson definitely wanted to downsize football. The entire board may not have been in agreement on that (maybe not Joyner, for example), but the people who were driving the bus wanted to diminish Penn State football. No doubt about it.

Interesting perspective......but that wasn't the question :)

The issue was "why was Freeh hired"....what was the purpose - was the PURPOSE of Freeh's hiring to "kill the golden goose"?

The "Golden Goose" is different things to different people. For the OG BoT & H-Burg types the "Golden Goose" is the various business contracts and campaign fund raising machines. That doesn't necessarily mean football. Their "Golden Goose" lays just as many eggs with or without football.
Correct! I wonder if Frank is implying that the "Grifters" (no offense, Frank) need a project from which they can attach themselves to its teet. Gotta be mighty slim pickings right now in University Park.

Reactions: sarasotan
The race for the most opulent facilities in intercollegiate athletics is ridiculous and constitutes another way that student-athletes are separated from the regular student body, but I also understand that no school that aspires to be highly competitive is going to step up and say, "Bullsh$t, we're not going to gold-plate our shower heads" when tOSU and Alabama and Oregon are showing recruits gold plated shower heads.

This "arms race" is just another factor in my conviction that we're only a decade or two from seeing football and basketball expelled from the campus, because it no longer bears any relationship to the educational mission of the university and too few schools will be making money from it

If it's true that fund raising has flatlined for PSU ICA, that might be the the most compelling motivation for Penn State to finally honor JoePa.

I'm guessing that Penn State does not ask Franklin to fund raise. If he does any fund raising, it's probably only for the football program and not for the University's larger mission. Penn State probably doesn't want to give any coach the internal power base that JoePa developed with the University's high-level donors.

The race for the most opulent facilities in intercollegiate athletics is ridiculous and constitutes another way that student-athletes are separated from the regular student body, but I also understand that no school that aspires to be highly competitive is going to step up and say, "Bullsh$t, we're not going to gold-plate our shower heads" when tOSU and Alabama and Oregon are showing recruits gold plated shower heads.

This "arms race" is just another factor in my conviction that we're only a decade or two from seeing football and basketball expelled from the campus, because it no longer bears any relationship to the educational mission of the university and too few schools will be making money from it

If it's true that fund raising has flatlined for PSU ICA, that might be the the most compelling motivation for Penn State to finally honor JoePa.

I'm guessing that Penn State does not ask Franklin to fund raise. If he does any fund raising, it's probably only for the football program and not for the University's larger mission. Penn State probably doesn't want to give any coach the internal power base that JoePa developed with the University's high-level donors.
Well stated EC

Strange days have found us
Strange days have tracked us down
They're going to destroy
Our casual joys
Yeah!

Buongiorno,

We knew your sports people needed dinero.
We had read about the newly hired 'carpetbaggers' and that they were suspect of penn state people.
But, we never realized the situation was so bad, financially.

Until, we called in some favors from happy valley. What they confirmed was very enlightening.

She can't sell.
Her way or the highway.
She is not a good fit for this area and school.
Her fundraising is 'extremely limited at best.'
Some call her tenure a disaster.

Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with 'Alabama' in between, said a political pundit.

Where did you say she came from?
*Cali? Berkeley? Quite a difference from happy valley, huh?

Behind an eminence front
An eminence front, it's a put on

The first phase of the Lasch and Holuba renovations? How did that go?

*A fundraising failure that is unable to pay for the first minor phase of renovation.
*It's a massive problem.
*But, 'they think they know it all' ...

Which reminds me of when Russ Buffalino had his falling out with Hoffa.
You see little Jimmy wasn't going to let us use the teamsters pension funds for construction loans.
That was Jimmy's worst mistake.
And I loved Jimmy.
So, Russell asked me for a favor...

The Populous Report should be interesting.

BUT, HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PAY FOR ATHLETICS UPGRADES?

*From what we're hearing it's a wide rebellion.
*Almost no football players have donated.
*Have people heard that there is virtually no reference to Paterno in the Lasch renovation?
*Alumni are suspicious

The clock is ticking.
And no one is buying her b.s.

Ciao
Not True. They've raised a tremendous amount of money in the last few months.

Reactions: Mary Anne
[QUOTE "And it's just not as nice as the top programs we supposedly like to think of ourselves as being in the same company as, or aspire to return to again".[/QUOTE]

Silly me....I thought "we" aspired to:

1 - Bringing in quality STUDENT ATHLETES
2 - Providing them with the resources to compete successfully - both on and off the field
3 - As a result of #1 and #2, winning often - but always doing it with integrity.
4 - Doing so in a financially responsible manner

I fail to see how engaging in frivolous and irresponsible spending in order to "pimp out" offices, locker rooms, and lounges is congruent with those goals?

I didn't look through ALL of the photos you linked (but I did open several of them). Correct me if I am wrong - but I didn't see ONE THING that could be positioned as enhancing the student-athletes ability to succeed on or off the field.

Do you?

I did see a TON of stuff that would feed the egos of coaches and administrators and chest-thumping fanboys.

Or, do we have a different set of values in play here? :)

Are these young gals coeds or professional? Can anyone point me in the direction of the library?
Training Room, University of Utah Eccles Football Center August 15, 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Photo/Steve C. Wilson)​
9146572.jpeg

Reactions: Marshall30
Interesting perspective......but that wasn't the question :)

The issue was "why was Freeh hired"....what was the purpose - was the PURPOSE of Freeh's hiring to "kill the golden goose"?
You're damn right it was. The Medalist wanted PSU Football dead. He hated the game, hated the 700,000 people who came up here every year to see football and not one of them gave a damn about the Geography Department. He did everything he could possibly do to kill it - and he might yet succeed.

Reactions: Marshall30
Correct! I wonder if Frank is implying that the "Grifters" (no offense, Frank) need a project from which they can attach themselves to its teet. Gotta be mighty slim pickings right now in University Park.
Unlimited graft opportunities for Poole Construction once they get the contract to build the new 50,000 seat stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT