Nov 21, 2013
Kingston, PA
Strange days have found us
Strange days have tracked us down
They're going to destroy
Our casual joys
Yeah!

Buongiorno,

We knew your sports people needed dinero.
We had read about the newly hired 'carpetbaggers' and that they were suspect of penn state people.
But, we never realized the situation was so bad, financially.

Until, we called in some favors from happy valley. What they confirmed was very enlightening.

She can't sell.
Her way or the highway.
She is not a good fit for this area and school.
Her fundraising is 'extremely limited at best.'
Some call her tenure a disaster.

Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with 'Alabama' in between, said a political pundit.

Where did you say she came from?
*Cali? Berkeley? Quite a difference from happy valley, huh?

Behind an eminence front
An eminence front, it's a put on

The first phase of the Lasch and Holuba renovations? How did that go?

*A fundraising failure that is unable to pay for the first minor phase of renovation.
*It's a massive problem.
*But, 'they think they know it all' ...

Which reminds me of when Russ Buffalino had his falling out with Hoffa.
You see little Jimmy wasn't going to let us use the teamsters pension funds for construction loans.
That was Jimmy's worst mistake.
And I loved Jimmy.
So, Russell asked me for a favor...

The Populous Report should be interesting.

BUT, HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PAY FOR ATHLETICS UPGRADES?

*From what we're hearing it's a wide rebellion.
*Almost no football players have donated.
*Have people heard that there is virtually no reference to Paterno in the Lasch renovation?
*Alumni are suspicious

The clock is ticking.
And no one is buying her b.s.

Ciao

Your posts are both entertaining and slightly bizarre. Sometimes I wonder if Hunter S. Thompson is still among us.

That said, I can tell you that the Populous report will be thorough, and from what I have heard so far - a sobering reality check.

Reactions: waltsrug
Your posts are both entertaining and slightly bizarre. Sometimes I wonder if Hunter S. Thompson is still among us.

That said, I can tell you that the Populous report will be thorough, and from what I have heard so far - a sobering reality check.

I must have lead a sheltered life! Never heard of Hunter S. Thompson, the guy is interesting.... :cool:
hunter_thompson_courage.png

hunter-thompson-daily-routine.png

Reactions: Marshall30
I'm not nessecarily a fan of Sandy Barbour, but if finances for the renovation of the football facilities is an issue then wouldn't this also be an indictment of Franklin and his ability to help raise money and sell his vision for the program? After all, isn't he the number one ambassador for the football program? Wouldn't he be a primary schmoozer of monied alumni especially ex-players?

I'm not nessecarily a fan of Sandy Barbour, but if finances for the renovation of the football facilities is an issue then wouldn't this also be an indictment of Franklin and his ability to help raise money and sell his vision for the program? After all, isn't he the number one ambassador for the football program? Wouldn't he be a primary schmoozer of monied alumni especially ex-players?
Uh......

Athletic Director : Head Football Coach

Job Responsibilities?

Was your post TIC?

Reactions: jjsocrates
After all that has gone on, I think JF is powerless when it comes to hitting up the football alumni for money. Football has been devalued, besmirched, insulted, and ridiculed in emails and actions, and what those guys did for the school apparently was not appreciated all that much. Asking them for money is like asking the family members of a murder victim to pay for remodeling the murderer's prison cell.

Before these guys open their wallets, justice has to be done. I guarantee you that not honoring Joe is costing the AD millions of dollars in donations from these guys, and others. It wouldn't shock me if their willingness to donate is directly tied to Paterno recognition.

Which brings us to another semi-related subject: when are we supposed to see results of that Athletic Department strategic plan (not the Populous report which is limited to facilities) that Barbour commissioned earlier this year?

IMO its not an indictment of Franklin but more of an indictment of Old Main. In a matter of minutes, the university let Freeh burn the reputations of the football program and Joe Paterno to the ground. Decades of a sterling reputation gone in a matter of minutes. The university let Freeh pin the entire Sandusky fiasco entirely on the football program and Paterno. Since that day they have done nothing to rectify that problem and have fought every opportunity to do so. So no it does not come as a surprise to me that ex-players are not lining up to give their money to the university.

Which brings us to another semi-related subject: when are we supposed to see results of that Athletic Department strategic plan (not the Populous report which is limited to facilities) that Barbour commissioned earlier this year?
Sandy did her part.....she spent the money for the report.

The rest? That's someone else's responsibility.

th
th

"Now.....do I go with shag, berber, or hardwood?"......."Julie, which do you prefer? I hear that a lot of the girls are going with hardwood these days."

After all that has gone on, I think JF is powerless when it comes to hitting up the football alumni for money. Football has been devalued, besmirched, insulted, and ridiculed in emails and actions, and what those guys did for the school apparently was not appreciated all that much. Asking them for money is like asking the family members of a murder victim to pay for remodeling the murderer's prison cell.

Before these guys open their wallets, justice has to be done. I guarantee you that not honoring Joe is costing the AD millions of dollars in donations from these guys, and others. It wouldn't shock me if their willingness to donate is directly tied to Paterno recognition.

Not just former football players. Most, it not all, long-term donors to Penn State athletics formed some sort of relationship to Joe, whether personal or by identification. How generous would you expect these folks to be to a university that did all in its power to destroy the man?

Sandy did her part.....she spent the money for the report.

The rest? That's someone else's responsibility.

th
th

"Now.....do I go with shag, berber, or hardwood?"......."Julie, which do you prefer? I hear that a lot of the girls are going with hardwood these days."

Barry, you've got to stop with those pictures, particularly that of the Spawn of Thomforde. You're killing me, literally killing me.

FWIW, I was in Lasch and Haluba just two years ago. Along with the old football facility....It looked state of the art. I really don't get why it has to be completely remodeled? It just boggles the mind. It's almost as if this is a make work "resume padder" for the current AD so that she can plant her flag and move on.

PS- I have also toured dozens of other university athletic facilities and PSU's is among THE BEST. all of this talk/plans for remodeling is mindboggling. Most universities would KILL to have what we have right now.
First, let me say that if what the OP posted is true, that's troubling. But, I also have to wonder, as others have brought up, how much of the problem fundraising has to do with Joe not being honored yet, let alone everything else that went down at the time.

That said... you say PSU facilities are among the best. So, two years ago when you toured, did Lasch look like this:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/1/4578810/alabama-football-building-pictures

or this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-texas-am-football-complex-photos-2014-8

or this:

http://www.utahutes.com/view.gal?id=145456

or this:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/31/4574556/oregon-football-building-new

or this:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...9859149/images-of-usc's-new-john-mckay-center

or this:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/facilities/facilities15-butts.html

Nope, it looked/looks like this, before O'Brien started to make some upgrades:
http://www.gopsusports.com/view.gal?id=14473
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/psu/blog/Familyinlockerroom.jpg
http://www.superstork.com/rt4/images/09 PSU Kent State/p9200858 S in Locker Room.jpg
http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/DSC02354.JPG
http://s3.amazonaws.com/astorino/images/115/inline_small/interior5.jpg?1373988498
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/genrel/auto_psuwidephoto/9053435.jpeg

As has been said, the "bones" are good in terms of what they have (amenities like player barbershops aside), but there's little branding, most things are dated (Lasch is now, what, 20 years old?), and it's just not as nice as the top programs we supposedly like to think of ourselves as being in the same company as, or aspire to return to again.

[QUOTE "And it's just not as nice as the top programs we supposedly like to think of ourselves as being in the same company as, or aspire to return to again".[/QUOTE]

Silly me....I thought "we" aspired to:

1 - Bringing in quality STUDENT ATHLETES
2 - Providing them with the resources to compete successfully - both on and off the field
3 - As a result of #1 and #2, winning often - but always doing it with integrity.
4 - Doing so in a financially responsible manner

I fail to see how engaging in frivolous and irresponsible spending in order to "pimp out" offices, locker rooms, and lounges is congruent with those goals?

I didn't look through ALL of the photos you linked (but I did open several of them). Correct me if I am wrong - but I didn't see ONE THING that could be positioned as enhancing the student-athletes ability to succeed on or off the field.

Do you?

I did see a TON of stuff that would feed the egos of coaches and administrators and chest-thumping fanboys.

Or, do we have a different set of values in play here? :)

The strategic plan is scheduled for completion this month. Changing gears, what's your take on the Hobbs and Ash hires?

[QUOTE "And it's just not as nice as the top programs we supposedly like to think of ourselves as being in the same company as, or aspire to return to again".[/QUOTE]

2 - Providing them with the resources to compete successfully - both on and off the field
3 - As a result of #1 and #2, winning often - but always doing it with integrity.

I fail to see how engaging in frivolous and irresponsible spending in order to "pimp out" offices, locker rooms, and lounges is congruent with those goals?

I didn't look through ALL of the photos you linked (but I did open several of them). Correct me if I am wrong - but I didn't see ONE THING that could be positioned as enhancing the student-athletes ability to succeed on or off the field.

Do you?

I did see a TON of stuff that would feed the egos of coaches and administrators and chest-thumping fanboys.

If it was up to you, Barry, we'd be giving the kids an abacus instead of an iPad.

Simply put--you have absolutely no clue about millennials and what the younger generation perceives as wanting or needing.

Reactions: BlueBand
If it was up to you, Barry, we'd be giving the kids an abacus instead of an iPad.

Simply put--you have absolutely no clue about millennials and what the younger generation perceives as wanting or needing.
LOL

Still batting 1.000

The next time you get in the vicinity of a logical thought.....take a picture.

Then you will have something to study. and you may be able to recognize them more frequently in the future.

Maybe, someday, when (if) your synapses mature, you might be able to put together a cogent thought.

If your goal is to feed egos (including your own) and impress kids and parents of similar intellectual maturity, then bling, bling, bling to your hearts content. Hell, if the "pimping out" was free....sure, fine, whatever....no harm.

But, in the real world, every Million spent on bling, is a Million less that is available for providing meaningful support for the student-athlete's ability to achieve on the field, in the community, and in the classroom. Money for stuff like academic support, coaches/trainers/S&C folks, financial and career counseling.....even abaci (or even I-Pads :) )

But, I fear, you are not yet close to that level of development. Keep at it....we're all rooting for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
LOL

Still batting 1.000

The next time you get in the vicinity of a logical thought.....take a picture.

Then you will have something to study. and you may be able to recognize them more frequently in the future.

Again, Barry, if you disagree with everything the university does and are embarrassed by the administration.......why do you continue to draw paychecks from Dear Old State?

Come on, buddy. Take a stand against the man!

Otherwise, you're just another message board blowhard who doesn't have the balls to stand up for himself.

Reactions: 71camaro
Again, Barry, if you disagree with everything the university does and are embarrassed by the administration.......why do you continue to draw paychecks from Dear Old State?

Come on, buddy. Take a stand against the man!

Otherwise, you're just another message board blowhard who doesn't have the balls to stand up for himself.
Like I said....we're all rooting for you.

Keep trying.

Reactions: Agoodnap

That is very likely not true. Almost impossible. He is living in it.

So, consider that you may be wrong about at least some things.

Forget about Paterno for a minute. What about statements like:

“There’s enough blame in this thing to go around,” he said. “I would also include the alumni. They were also asleep ... Everything was muddling along quite well, thank you.” --Ryan McCombie

Dr. Nurturing Emmert said the culture here lacked human decency, and that football was placed ahead of education and "nurturing." Freeh said a culture of football reverence permeated ALL LEVELS of the university community. Lest we forget, The Medalist signed off in agreement with this statement. At no time has any official denial of any of these statements come from anyone at Penn State, of which I am aware. It's astonishing that people who used to give are now telling the university to GFY. Simply astonishing. Let's see what the problem is, it must be the economy!

The strategic plan is scheduled for completion this month. Changing gears, what's your take on the Hobbs and Ash hires?

Meh on both, though I understand why Hobbs was hired and they aren't in a position to do much better than someone like Ash. Who knows, maybe their luck will change. I expect no significant progress, either in athletics or the university overall, until Barchi is replaced and that won't happen until Fats is gone.

Do you?

I don't disagree with your value points. But just because our uniforms are plain doesn't mean everything else has to be.

Let me guess, you also think we shouldn't upgrade our dorms. Bare bones, no cable, no A/C, institutional furniture... if it was good enough for us "back in the day" then...

I'm a 5 star football player. I can go to pretty much any school in the country between my athletic ability and grades. I can also get a good education at a subset of those schools. I like the coaching staffs at 5 schools the most, and they can get me to the NFL, and get a good degree for after the pros. Sounds like a kid who is Penn State material. 4 of those schools have "pimped out" facilities, 1 has all the basics but bland and drab. Doesn't look like a commitment to the program. All other things being equal, what school drops off the list first?

I don't disagree with your value points. But just because our uniforms are plain doesn't mean everything else has to be.

Let me guess, you also think we shouldn't upgrade our dorms. Bare bones, no cable, no A/C, institutional furniture... if it was good enough for us "back in the day" then...

I'm a 5 star football player. I can go to pretty much any school in the country between my athletic ability and grades. I can also get a good education at a subset of those schools. I like the coaching staffs at 5 schools the most, and they can get me to the NFL, and get a good degree for after the pros. Sounds like a kid who is Penn State material. 4 of those schools have "pimped out" facilities, 1 has all the basics but bland and drab. Doesn't look like a commitment to the program. All other things being equal, what school drops off the list first?
Your assumptions are not corrent.

I'll leave it at that.

But the topic is....as usually happens....straying so far from the OP - which is the important stuff - that it is counter-productive to go off an any further tangents.

My point was as clear as I can make it, to anyone who cares to read it. No need to reiterate.

Last edited:
To be fair, until the BOT walks back their Paterno eradication program, there isn't much that Barbour or any other AD can do about fundraising. A lot of wallets are firmly shut.

End thread here....Old Main hired Freeh to kill the Golden Goose. Mission accomplished.

End thread here....Old Main hired Freeh to kill the Golden Goose. Mission accomplished.
"Old Main hired Freeh to kill the Golden Goose"

That is just silly....right?

They certainly hired him with a purpose in mind.....but certainly not that one - not as a "goal", anyway.

"Old Main hired Freeh to kill the Golden Goose"

That is just silly....right?

They certainly hired him with a purpose in mind.....but certainly not that one - not as a "goal", anyway.

I disagree. Peetz & Erickson definitely wanted to downsize football. The entire board may not have been in agreement on that (maybe not Joyner, for example), but the people who were driving the bus wanted to diminish Penn State football. No doubt about it.

Building shit is easy. Paying for it is the hard part.

Build spiffy new dorms, you jack up the room rates to pay for them. Most of the occupants are paying the full-load anyway. Filling them is no problem.

Building new football facilities? Well, Mr. Franklin, are you going to win enough football games to allow me to jack up ticket prices a good chunk from where they are now and guarantee a full house every time?

What have you heard? A sobering reality check in what way?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT