ADVERTISEMENT

ASU places Adam Breneman on administrative leave

I love it. More (Bob92, please don't get angry) "leadering".

We are completely ridiculous. It's against the rules to buy a plane ticket for a recruit? Seriously?

Who comes up with this stuff?

Burn the whole damned thing down and start over.

I won't pretend I know the first thing about recruiting rules/violations. If rules/violations are proven to have occurred that is unfortunate. We are a society of rules, whether you agree with all of them or not. Violations bring consequences. Just ask Sha'Carri Richardson.

Last edited:
I won't pretend I know the first thing about recruiting rules/violations. If rules/violations are proven to have occurred that it unfortunate. We are a society of rules, whether you agree with all of them or not. Violations bring consequences. Just ask Sha'Carri Richardson.
If the rules are going to be stupid and arbitrary, then we should stop following them.

I'm tired of listening to idiots like Sandy and Barron and whoever the idiots in charge of the NCAA are.

They are idiots. Their rules should no longer be respected.

One has to wonder what AB really learned at PSU in the Smeal College of Business by purposely purchasing an airline ticket for a recruit. Apparently Ethics 101 wasn't a required course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Scapegoat.
Maybe. There were other coaches caught cheating at ASU too. I’m surprised only Adam was suspended so far.

That said, there were very clear rules in place. Adam apparently violated them and is now suspended. It shouldn’t be a surprise to him.

Galen Hall got fired as Florida's HC because he bought a plane ticket so one of his players could get home after a family member died. It was stupid then and it is stupid now.

Not exactly, but almost as stupid. Gave a player money so that he could pay child support. Also took money from his own pocket to pay a couple of limited-compensation assistants

Reactions: N&B4PSU and PSUfiji
I love it. More (Bob92, please don't get angry) "leadering".

We are completely ridiculous. It's against the rules to buy a plane ticket for a recruit? Seriously?

Who comes up with this stuff?

Burn the whole damned thing down and start over.
Yes it against to buy a ticket for the kid to visit during the dead period and not as part of an official visit. They could have bought the kid a ticket if they waited till the contact period and set up an official visit. The reason they have the rule is purely cost savings. Without it schools would spend millions because they be flying kids in several times a year. It a rule the schools want and makes a lot of sense. For example lets say Penn State for a game has 100 players with two guests. Without this rule they could be buying 300 plane tickets for a game. It could end up costing schools $200k-300k per game.

Maybe. There were other coaches caught cheating at ASU too. I’m surprised only Adam was suspended so far.

That said, there were very clear rules in place. Adam apparently violated them and is now suspended. It shouldn’t be a surprise to him.
He definitely not alone. Chance are the whole staff will be looking for jobs next year.

Reactions: psu00
Are you kidding me? ASU admin is a joke. The NCAA is on life support and you are going to fast track this stuff by suspending AB now?? For a $600 plane ticket.
You do realize it the schools who want these rules not the NCAA? Rules like these were put in place by the schools to keep costs down. It not the NCAA who makes up rules it is the member schools.

Reactions: canuckhal
He definitely not alone. Chance are the whole staff will be looking for jobs next year.
All schools do this, don’t they? When Penn State starts grabbing kids from Florida who are making unofficial visits I don’t doubt that some of this is going on at Penn State as well.

All schools do this, don’t they? When Penn State starts grabbing kids from Florida who are making unofficial visits I don’t doubt that some of this is going on at Penn State as well.
It happens but typically through intermediate channels but it was blatant at ASU as it was going on during the dead period during COVID. It was also organized by the coached and done directly.

It happens but typically through intermediate channels but it was blatant at ASU as it was going on during the dead period during COVID. It was also organized by the coached and done directly.
I don’t think it happens anywhere without it being organized by the coaches. If this is the road the NCAA is going to go down there won’t be any coaches left to coach the games.

I don’t think it happens anywhere without it being organized by the coaches. If this is the road the NCAA is going to go down there won’t be any coaches left to coach the games.
If this is happening at PSU it is a recent development. Louis Freeh was paid 8.5 million to protect the BOT (and their corporations in incestuous relationships with TSM). Paul Suhey hinted that by signing the consent decree and because of NCAA violations, the BOT were "saving" PSU football. Not a single solitary NCAA violation was found. They didn't leave a stone unturned.
God Bless Adam, he had to know this was a violation. Putting it on his credit card? Incredibly stupid and quite possibly an end to his college coaching career. At the very least, he will face an uphill battle if this allegation is proven true.

You do realize it the schools who want these rules not the NCAA? Rules like these were put in place by the schools to keep costs down. It not the NCAA who makes up rules it is the member schools.
There you go again, confusing folks with facts! Don't you know that Kevin Warren unilaterally stopped Big 10 football last fall? He did this with a bold decision that flew in the face of every member university president. Yet he still has a job!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Every university has a heavily staffed compliance office. In addition, all coaches/staff undergo intense training and orientation regarding the rules. It was not only a violation, but a "sloppy" one at that (to have it traced to a GA).

Reactions: TheGLOV
This is a clear rule violation based on historical issues and AB should have known better. Its like the sprinter that DQed based on smoking MJ: It may or may not be legit rule but it is the rule regardless of what anyone thinks. If you get a speeding ticket and argue to the judge that the 35 MPH posting is too restrictive based on the capabilities of the modern automobile, your argument won't even get started before the judge shuts you down.

Reactions: MaconNitt
If the rules are going to be stupid and arbitrary, then we should stop following them.

I'm tired of listening to idiots like Sandy and Barron and whoever the idiots in charge of the NCAA are.

They are idiots. Their rules should no longer be respected.
Galen Hall got fired as Florida's HC because he bought a plane ticket so one of his players could get home after a family member died. It was stupid then and it is stupid now.

Let's be clear. It is clearly against the rules to pay for a recruit's expenses to visit campus, other than an official visit. This is not new, "stupid" or "arbitrary." Lots of folks on this board complain about alleged cheating and buying of players. This rule is a means to curb and control excessive spending on recruits.

RE: Galen: the funny part is now, all that would need to happen is a call to a booster who would sign an endorsement deal with the player to use his NIL for the amount of whatever expense he is incurring.

IMO, this is the moment that ultimately leads to CFB's decline.

Reactions: MaconNitt
Every university has a heavily staffed compliance office. In addition, all coaches/staff undergo intense training and orientation regarding the rules. It was not only a violation, but a "sloppy" one at that (to have it traced to a GA).
I’m not sure what that has to do with my point though. Are you saying all teams cheat but most do it better than ASU did?

I’m not sure what that has to do with my point though. Are you saying all teams cheat but most do it better than ASU did?
I'm saying that Adam knew what he was doing was a violation.
I'm also saying that all teams do not cheat.

Reactions: psu00
I'm saying that Adam knew what he was doing was a violation.
I'm also saying that all teams do not cheat.
Got it
I think you’d be hard pressed at this point to find a program that is not doing something along the same lines as this.

I disagree.
No way to prove it I suppose, and it doesn’t really matter as it is with the NCAA basically being a toothless entity at this point. And for the record, when the NCAA dropped the hammer on Penn State 10 years ago I said that I hoped Penn State would just go dirty. Why play by the rules when they change them on you at their discretion?

No way to prove it I suppose, and it doesn’t really matter as it is with the NCAA basically being a toothless entity at this point. And for the record, when the NCAA dropped the hammer on Penn State 10 years ago I said that I hoped Penn State would just go dirty. Why play by the rules when they change them on you at their discretion?
Its not that they change the rules at their discretion so much as it is who they pick to abide by them and then enforce the rule.

Breneman Definitely the fall guy thus far. If even half of the reported violations are accurate, DC/Pierce is the one driving the train on the many violations. However optics preclude him from being suspended just yet.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
For all those defending Adam, please don't post that PSU loses recruits to the bagman. NIL is going to kill that anyway, but what Adam has allegedly done is wrong, he should have known it is wrong, and he likely just killed his coaching career. It is on him. No doubt he felt a lot of pressure, but he should have walked away rather than get involved. Would have saved his integrity in the long haul. But who knows, he could wind up on another coaching staff

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT