ADVERTISEMENT

As I sit at home, channel surfing and up pops "The Conqueror." This prompts me to ask you

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
to name the worst casting choices in movie history. In "The Conqueror", we have John Wayne as Genghis Khan, with Pedro Arrmendariz as Jamunga. Both Mongol to the core. Second in my mind are Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin in "Paint Your Wagon."

The floor is open for nominations.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
to name the worst casting choices in movie history. In "The Conqueror", we have John Wayne as Genghis Khan, with Pedro Arrmendariz as Jamunga. Both Mongol to the core. Second in my mind are Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin in "Paint Your Wagon."

What channel is it on? And yes, Marvin and Eastwood in "Paint your Taint" is a horrid movie!

Emma Stone as 'Asian-American' fighter-pilot Alison Ng in Cameron Crowe's 'Aloha'.

960.jpg

Reactions: lionroar88
I can't think of any right now, but my father in law is funny when it comes to historical movies. He expects that if a character was 6' 4" in real life, then the actor playing them should be naturally tall. Wearing lifts, or filming shots to appear taller is not good enough, even if the guys height was completely irrelevant. The prime example is the movie called Valkyrie, where Tom Cruise plans von Stauffenberg as part of a conspiracy to assassinate Hitler. He can't see a clip of this movie without complaining about how short Cruise is in real live as compated to von Stauffenberg. LOL

Also, I'd say that a really good actor is never miscast in a movie. They transform themselves to the character or the character to them...

AMC....Magnum Force is on now, Dirty Harry is next.

"His name was Jamie Watts and he was only ten years old".

Classic.

Tony Curtis as Myles Falworth in "The Black Shield of Falworth." Runner up: the very same Bernie Schwartz as Antoninus in "Spartacus."

Shelley Duvall ruined The Shining for me....book was much better anyway (and ruined Popeye not that it wasn't horrible already).

Reactions: Sviatoslav

I believe Wayne had that movie filmed near the Nuke testing sight to demonstrate there was no harm from the tests. Apparently a number of people involved died later from different forms of Cancer. I love John Wayne movies, not that one. Might be his worst EVER although the "Green Baret" one was really bad as well.

Reactions: Marshall30
I believe Wayne had that movie filmed near the Nuke testing sight to demonstrate there was no harm from the tests. Apparently a number of people involved died later from different forms of Cancer. I love John Wayne movies, not that one. Might be his worst EVER although the "Green Baret" one was really bad as well.

Don't think so. Howard Hughes was the movie's producer and he chose the location.

Kevin Costner as Robin Hood.

George Clooney and Val Kilmer as Batman.

good nominations

Just about any native american role in the 50's such as Burt Lancaster, Rock Hudson, and Roman Gabriel

agreed. they weren't believable when I was a kid, and now I can't watch any of them.

Tony Curtis as Myles Falworth in "The Black Shield of Falworth." Runner up: the very same Bernie Schwartz as Antoninus in "Spartacus."

Can't disagree with either nomination.

As flat_cap indicated, there are sooooo many from which to choose.

Some other brutal castings, in no particular order:

1. Neil Diamond in the remake of The Jazz Singer
2. Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast At Tiffany's
3. Cindy Crawford as Kate McQuean in Fair Game
4. Demi Moore as Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter
5. Keanu Reeves as Buddha in Little Buddha
6. Melanie Griffith in A Stranger Among Us
7. Sofia Coppola as Mary Corleone in Godfather, Part III
8. Denise Richards as Christmas Jones in The World Is Not Enough (pretty to look at, but did anyone believe she was a nuclear physicist?)
9. Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great in Alexander
10. George Lazenby as James Bond

and I'm not even scratching the surface. ;)

Reactions: Marshall30
Don't think so. Howard Hughes was the movie's producer and he chose the location.

OK. But kind of interesting and sadly stupid. Some movie info:

And yet the real repercussions of the film’s production would only emerge in the years to come. In 1953, the year before production started, the US Atomic Energy Commission had tested 11 nuclear weapons at Yucca Flats in Nevada - including two exceptionally “dirty” above ground tests with high degrees of fallout. After each detonation, huge clouds of radioactive dust were blown into the atmosphere before floating downwind and accumulating in the funnel of Snow Canyon, 220km to the west. Or more precisely, exactly where The Conqueror would be shot in 1954.

Despite this knowledge – Wayne even invited his sons onto the set to see the radiation spikes on a Geiger counter – this is where the cast and crew would be located for the film’s entire production. The consequences were terrifying. By 1980, 91 of the 220 cast and crew had been diagnosed with cancer. Forty-six then died of it, including John Wayne, Dick Powell and every leading supporting cast member. Pedro Armendáriz would also be diagnosed, but committed suicide after hearing the news, shortly after filming From Russia With Love in 1963. Numerous American Indians who served as Mongolian warriors contracted cancer in later years, and even John Wayne’s son Michael died in 2003 of cancer, after visiting his father on the set at age 22.

Liza Minneli in anything but the Arthur movies were fairly funny and had potential and she just was horrible to watch......

I can't think of any right now, but my father in law is funny when it comes to historical movies. He expects that if a character was 6' 4" in real life, then the actor playing them should be naturally tall. Wearing lifts, or filming shots to appear taller is not good enough, even if the guys height was completely irrelevant. The prime example is the movie called Valkyrie, where Tom Cruise plans von Stauffenberg as part of a conspiracy to assassinate Hitler. He can't see a clip of this movie without complaining about how short Cruise is in real live as compated to von Stauffenberg. LOL

Also, I'd say that a really good actor is never miscast in a movie. They transform themselves to the character or the character to them...
You two are going to be miles apart on All the Way

Reactions: Ranger Dan
good nominations

8. Denise Richards as Christmas Jones in The World Is Not Enough (pretty to look at, but did anyone believe she was a nuclear physicist?)

Was going to say this one as well. That was some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT