ADVERTISEMENT

Are we officially done with Franklin? (not serious)

Of course it is because so many other coaches would lose games the “right” way. Give me a break, it is exactly about losing games because fans can pick apart any coach after any game and it gets twice as bad after losses. It’s easy to coach with the benefit of hindsight and no coach can compete with the mighty Sunday morning coaches who already know the results of every play. If you think there’s another coach out there who Penn State could get that’s going to get us consistently in the playoffs, then you don’t know much about college football.
A Franklin apologist I see. I like the guy, but his inability to correct this running game is pathetic. Running backs constantly hit in the backfield and you probably blame it on the backs. This is an all time blunder of a game plan and preparation. Since he has been here he hasn’t been able the run the ball. The basics of any offense, Barkley was great and bailed him and this team out because Franklin just can’t get it done. I don’t remember one game where PS was able the running the clock out to end a close game. On the contrary we lost games because the team has been able to run the ball. He is who he is. An average coach, a great recruiter and a terrible game time decision maker.

When we lose close ones against OSU, it’s because Franklin can’t coach in the fourth quarter. When we get blown out by Michigan when we have no LB’s, it’s because Franklin doesn’t have the team mentally prepared. When we lose because our starting QB gets hurt, it’s because Franklin didn’t have our backup ready. I’m trying to figure out how he can lose the right way.

Franklin should just win every game like saban and dabo.

Reactions: bison13
A Franklin apologist I see. I like the guy, but his inability to correct this running game is pathetic. Running backs constantly hit in the backfield and you probably blame it on the backs. This is an all time blunder of a game plan and preparation. Since he has been here he hasn’t been able the run the ball. The basics of any offense, Barkley was great and bailed him and this team out because Franklin just can’t get it done. I don’t remember one game where PS was able the running the clock out to end a close game. On the contrary we lost games because the team has been able to run the ball. He is who he is. An average coach, a great recruiter and a terrible game time decision maker.
I blame it on the backs and the OLine…you know the guys that are actually playing. I don’t blame it on the coach…I know, he’s not using his PlayStation controller correctly to get the guys to do what they’re supposed to do. I seem to recall a guy by the name of Miles Sanders being pretty good and a guy by the name of Journey Brown. Again, please tell me any coach who would have PSU consistently in the playoffs.

Reactions: psu_et_vt
I blame it on the backs and the OLine…you know the guys that are actually playing. I don’t blame it on the coach…I know, he’s not using his PlayStation controller correctly to get the guys to do what they’re supposed to do. I seem to recall a guy by the name of Miles Sanders being pretty good and a guy by the name of Journey Brown. Again, please tell me any coach who would have PSU consistently in the playoffs.
Even with those two the running game was garbage.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I am sure you will be missed somewhere

Be careful. The truth may get you banned.

I think we have a backup QB that has athletic ability but he hasn’t developed yet. And it would take a lot more than a handful of snaps in four games to get him ready. We had an experienced backup, but he left….coaches can only do so much to overcome that.
Exactly. Give the kid a chance.

Biggest opportunity to improve is to get an OLine that can run block. Trautwein has a great track record to think he can get it done. Not going to happen immediately.

Need a top flight QB as well. And some depth there too.

Shame as who knows when we will get a defense like this again.

Well if Franklin is recruiting as well as they say, it should be one or two years before we are right back in the same type of big game situation.
Also going to take of years to develop a QB…will to have to recruit even better and develop a run game. Franklin has been here a while…so maybe it is what it is…the 60’s - 90’s are not coming back…tough for us JoeBots to accept. But it is reality…the ceiling appears to be a nice, major bowl type team…floor is .500.

Send your extensive coaching resume to SBarbour@PSU.edu
I’m no expert but my eyes don’t lie. It should be easy fo aPS back to average 5-6 yards a carry. But can you get a first down on the ground when it matters. This team has shown it wasnt capable of that over the last few years. And that counts the Barkley yeares.

Last edited:
To me it’s not about our QB going down it’s about how our coaching staff prepared our backup and how they handled the game plan when he came in. (1) We have had opportunities to get #2 in games but we never let him throw it….would be nice to get true game experience in the event he is needed. (2) the “clap” cadence clearly wasn’t working but we failed to adjust until it was to late and (3) we are relying on our defense at the end but we decide to stay in hurry up and put our gassed D right back on the field rather than using some clock and giving them a little breather. Bottom line…losing Clifford killed us but our coaching staffs failure to get our backup good reps and to adjust our game plan pretty much handed the game to Iowa.
What game this year would you have given Roberson meaningful reps in a loud environment? Wiscy, with the game down to the wire? Levis was the back up last year, so it’s this years 5 games we’re talking about. Roberson did throw some against Nova in his most reps game. Just not sure how you expected a kid to be more prepared in the most hostile environment our team faces. Sometimes, a series of circumstances align that a team can’t overcome. We punch it in in the second Q instead of setting for 3, or don’t give up the bomb, or get the receiver OB before he crosses the” extended” goal line, Could have all changed the outcome. How about a running game go take heat off the back up? It’s not as simple as an unprepared back up.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
I’m no expert but my eyes don’t lie. It should be easy fo aPS back to average 5-6 yards a carry. But can you get a first down on the ground when it matters. This team has shown it wasnt capable of that over the last few years. And that counts the Barkley yeares.
Cotton Bowl, 2019 53 carries for 396 yards....Barkley was not there. Does Franklin get any credit for that??? You should have stopped at "I'm no expert."

Reactions: BriarwoodBash
Cotton Bowl, 2019 53 carries for 396 yards....Barkley was not there. Does Franklin get any credit for that??? You should have stopped at "I'm no expert."
There are no experts on this site. If there were they wouldn’t be here. You hand pick a game and think that makes a point. As I stated in my post it’s not just about yards and carries. This game was not close with 5 minutes or less and you need to run the clock out. Bottom line PS under Franklin has never been able to do it. Puts all the pressure on the defense.

There are no experts on this site. If there were they wouldn’t be here. You hand pick a game and think that makes a point. As I stated in my post it’s not just about yards and carries. This game was not close with 5 minutes or less and you need to run the clock out. Bottom line PS under Franklin has never been able to do it. Puts all the pressure on the defense.
Actually they did it at Iowa in 2019

Had Clifford played the whole game, everyone on this board would be praising Franklin and shifting in their pants that he might leave for for USC, which he will never do anyway. I’m sure you’re just being facetious. I think.

Reactions: mcgunns
Lots of mistake buy coaches after Clifford went out.
1 going for it on 4th down when defense doing well
2 not calling time out to figure out what is going on with off sides
3 not being prepared at all for this

With Clifford out we still should have won
Iowa is not good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT