ADVERTISEMENT

Are these Ohio U. bobcat mascots or just natures bobcats?

TheGLOV

Gold Member

Trail cam catches 5 bobcats roaming together in Ohio. Here’s why the sighting is rare​

17aa6d694a9eddbcdd2c09b86f756f97

Mike Stunson
Wed, December 29, 2021, 7:17 AM

Bobcats typically roam alone, which makes a trail cam photo captured in Ohio a particularly rare find.
A photo shared by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources shows five bobcats together in a wooded area — an uncommon occurrence for the animals that often roam in solitude. The department says the photo was captured on Christmas Eve in Washington County in the southeastern corner of the state.
Many people commented with photos of their own bobcat sightings throughout Ohio, but often just with one animal.
“I didn’t realize they ran in groups like that. I thought I read they were more solitary,” commented one woman.

And she’s not wrong. As the Ohio Department of Natural Resources says, bobcats are reclusive animals that are “territorial and elusive by nature.” It’s unclear why the five bobcats were roaming together in Washington County.
It’s “very unlikely” to spot a bobcat in the wild, the department says, but verified bobcat sightings have been on a steady rise in Ohio since 2005.
“Bobcat sightings are expected to continue to increase in future years as the population increases in abundance and distribution,” the department says.
Ohio University researchers found in a study published in November that bobcats are expanding throughout the state, particularly in the south and southeastern regions.
“Southeastern Ohio, with its significant forest cover, remains the stronghold for bobcats in Ohio,” researcher Dr. Viorel Popescu said. “In addition to the hundreds of sightings over the past couple decades, there are many signs that lead us to believe that the population continues to expand throughout Ohio.”

Nothing unusual about a trail cam picture like this excepting that the female mother cat (larger animal lower right in picture) still has four live kittens born in the spring still alive in the late fall. I would expect attrition would leave her with maybe two kits. Other than that argument it is common to see a mother cat with a bunch of kits. I saw a mother cat with three kits cross my road this past summer. I am involved with a 900 acre environmental center here in Ct. and we have 18 trail cams out for a bear project and get bobcat families on camera all the time.
One trail cam this summer had six different bear on camera which included one family with a sow and three cubs. Ct. is having a significant increase in Bear, bobcat and fishers and a slight reduction in coyote and steady with fox. Small game is taking a real beating. Deer populations are way down in large forested areas, moose steady at about 30 known resident animals.

Son 1 saw one first morning of hunting season last year. Son 2 not to be outdone says “I saw two in the afternoon”. I call BS on the two only to be shown a video of them. I have some beautiful trailcam pics too. They are one beautiful animal.

I saw 7 on the 2nd Saturday here in NW PA rifle. Pretty sure at-least 4 different ones. Saw 2 fail a stalk on a grouse, and another catch a mouse and proceed to bat it around like a house cat. Right at dark one of them called and another one came to it. They were up and down the fallen logs and big rocks I was sitting near. Pretty amazing day in the woods despite not much for deer sightings.

I saw 7 on the 2nd Saturday here in NW PA rifle. Pretty sure at-least 4 different ones. Saw 2 fail a stalk on a grouse, and another catch a mouse and proceed to bat it around like a house cat. Right at dark one of them called and another one came to it. They were up and down the fallen logs and big rocks I was sitting near. Pretty amazing day in the woods despite not much for deer sightings.
That has to be some kind of record for bobcat sightings. Seven is a huge number. Perhaps you were right near a den and some two or three a couple times each. Assuming a mother with cubs.....

That has to be some kind of record for bobcat sightings. Seven is a huge number. Perhaps you were right near a den and some two or three a couple times each. Assuming a mother with cubs.....
That’s what I was thinking. Mom with 3 kits and probably a couple of them I saw more than once. I was a good 30’ in the air, but they did seem pretty small. I get a few on trailcam every year, but that was only the 2nd time I’ve ever even seen one with own eyes. The other I saw a few years ago in the same area.

That’s what I was thinking. Mom with 3 kits and probably a couple of them I saw more than once. I was a good 30’ in the air, but they did seem pretty small. I get a few on trailcam every year, but that was only the 2nd time I’ve ever even seen one with own eyes. The other I saw a few years ago in the same area.
Would love to see a few in the wild. Especially observe them for several minutes like you did instead of a fleeting glimpse like most get. Awesome.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Impressive how well camouflaged they are against the dead leaves. I've spent a ton of time in the woods all up and down the east coast and have never seen one. I think they are mostly nocturnal which limits interactions with humans.

Reactions: TheGLOV and psualt
I have seen two in the woods in my 77 years and I hunt and fish a lot. One in Ct. near my house while bow hunting in the early Fall. It was alone and sneaking along a tiny creek probably looking for frogs or ground rodents. It never knew I was there. The second was in eastern NY along the Ct. border. I was cross bow hunting from a ground blind in early November and while looking to my left I see something that did not fit in and as I try to focus on it I figured out it was a bobcat head peering over a fallen log at me. It was just watching me and I was watching it. Finally I think it figured out that I had spotted it and it stood up and walked to its left, then turned right and at the lip of the bench I was hunting it followed the lip until it had passed by me at about 30 yards and then disappeared off to my right. It was apparent that I was right in it's way and it spotted me and hunkered down to figure out what to do. Once it knew it was spotted it simply took a safe route around me and continued on it's way.
I have seen more while driving including a family of them right in my neighborhood but those are the only two while in the woods.

One more story. About 430 pull into where I park to archery hunt. Pack my gear and strap stand on my back to head back old logging road with head high laurel on both sides. Out of the dark was the loudest scream/cry I’ve ever heard. Had to psyche myself to keep going. You knew it was a cat but it sounded really big…. Saw the bobcat 5-6 hours later.

On 9/30/21 at about 11:15am, we had 5 behind our house, less than 10 miles from State College. Were not out very long, so we couldn't catch all 5 in one picture. Far left first pic is the mother. First time we ever saw them, but I did have one on our trail cam one night after this. These pictures are less from than 40 yards from our house.

J6g6YcjgmrWy4EnvaNBmI5Ek4vKbcsDR5jMM51Tq7yGNuUkHUB7HxmmFLc2_oTG_2J4KU-n7Ug_yrM7_md66Y9RHNYbbgxztBBJtwpp6YCLAKLxuvnD4YDfaqtih_o20drq1cw9Eq0EzvSJXxnc4bubhsIEI9kQJ5FwzAJma7YUSO1sQWYen2xLW1NHWYeCiCuVOQ-b5es6m5WGxOY5HPVWKbhiVB1iKHO-pRwG4_0gSp5Q_merT9JKepMQVWl43aoSaSPxS8K8uaFPoRO7OoE6OaxSLzvfk8bINkHx-PtliSA2XuDVBRFuztlalKKur1hqJYg76_y21RD4Q44grnBgPh8weoQtz1pAsmc2LCCZIIQCcRp1MJWu-URDo4BBa4MhSuA996PUStbIoSBaidksOMrfEdESE9E6auO0S99lyOdL8RSfDDDFApPCts1KjAoP7IfSL5UdATCWDvEq8Mm-VJ5PdgE8KtfITH_Rn8pxv4XlVE29dG69thn9J0BwG2i2EE37ti_Hf6GEnpUqRtIZCKm35Tmvz9rOAo6yGL0pgIaY_XezpwrC9kmEKuE-2iQf6PsCpHSJ367XokTooPavKCziAuYF9Dwkh_4vpo27AjqnfzHtaBL5cpZ7k3FiTpeNdCJAKpdkZDxJRLUH2qg_nMq7j-enIGN0n8rJKt5sUMhbAIcVn17M86KK_sZJfHaFZFT2-p-RUs1uY9sFBiR0r=w1210-h907-no

JdHE16huiLDgN-K-3mt3ngCQ4JqMHYAyxcLmDuvD5vOLOizcSOv8aYh8Er1h1Ovmi-eI8_tw2rbA0SdQrcIDZxVpFdfaVWIapQo_ueHGseLP6YAsye1FzMFzTLXjbTR7XG9KyPcufoJdtU3CA8eqoqTb1Vc34THt3-GdVC1jo0VK3T4FMCpZG_ultgqIQqmisiSJF1eqMrkcvZCMdbN1cE0xmoJgZS8I0i_i8UZnecw8Pm1vgQ-dt-u2ZLxmyab1B53MJW10yE4a7v5iFhjkwx8JsbuYXcq3ELcCNHqPcd3kurDf1cvP09mNNxyv1nONjytUnMpmnkSj5mLlwbTIoPSXschUqxXSXUcm_UMgQQucExwfS8kC8VCBLdnq1uSktGmx984MYrRRcn48chXszyRFmLOmS-t3DcJxvu-uz6io0rHE1vraneLAt3cBLZg9A3X6Z4DYSY4KxJH6fr2iHiLikyW72GNN4r59PH23nAAZUnU_2luuM20oP-pjuIZLlyuGw8voQVZS68y7gJkXnPKEmQDun7aDlHMjaz5oLocl5ELXloFLmC-vjyiD_gv3kF0HDZUrUzOECLCFnRtc9nmWEVJNXvzpguvRfk-_KUzBN3jv1TTCFzhN8bexQibHRuK7-S-jDkoQtTp5oyYYZZWvzf2APN1RqD9R8C4_WSlPga-851htamvKwmTjv9iRnHaCo0qxrYZTycqsOs8Zuaa0=w720-h480-no

They are in just about every count in Pa. There is even a trapping and hunting season for them. You need special permits for bobcats.
I've seen two in Centre County over the past 10 years. Disgusting that there's any trapping or hunting allowed. I don't think anybody can argue that we would have overpopulation of bobcats.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT