ADVERTISEMENT

Are NIL deals limited to scholarship recipients? If they aren't doesn't that blow up schollie limits?

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
I don't see how they could limit NIL deals to scholarship recipients. But that would effectively eliminate scholarship limits, because all of you walk-ons could just get NIL money equivalent to full tuition, room and board... am I missing something?

I don't see how they could limit NIL deals to scholarship recipients. But that would effectively eliminate scholarship limits, because all of you walk-ons could just get NIL money equivalent to full tuition, room and board... am I missing something?
Interesting question. As I have pointed out in several other posts, the traditional student-athlete model is broken beyond fixing. FUBAR!
Time for minor league football.

Will we start to see the High Spending teams should be signing 40 Scholarship Caliber Kids a year? 25 kids to Full Scholarship, 15 kids to Full Scholarship through NIL. I dont' know the limit of kids you can have on a roster, but we will we see teams have 125+ full scholarship players with 40 of those being NIL?

They are not limited to scholarship students.

You understand the school isn’t paying the money right?
That’s true - but the schools can make deals with “entities” on behalf of the athletes. As mentioned BYU’s deal benefits all athletes both scholarships and walkons. While BYU isn’t the one paying it’s pretty damned close and one reason the ncaa is looking into it as a possible violation.

Yes! This was my concern when BYU first announced their walk on plan (I realize it is not BYU who is paying, but this still effectively means BYU has >85 scholarship players...which is counter to the rules)

I think that blanket deals like the BYU one should be out of bounds.

I also think that NIL's shouldn't be able to be talked about with any specificity until after you enroll in classes. In other words, specific NIL's being used for recruiting purposes cannot end well.

That’s true - but the schools can make deals with “entities” on behalf of the athletes. As mentioned BYU’s deal benefits all athletes both scholarships and walkons. While BYU isn’t the one paying it’s pretty damned close and one reason the ncaa is looking into it as a possible violation.

I was briefed on "Statement", PSU's NIL program several months ago. The school can not make deals. They can give guidance and they approve deals. But they can't establish them.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I know this won't happen but if you get NIL money seems to me you shouldn't get a grant in aid (they aren't scholarships). College ball has really become a semi-pro league now and it will get more and more so. The rules need to be revisited. I don't think we are going to recognize the game in a few years. All the formerly corrupt money practices are now legal. That just seems wrong to me. Oh well, not all change is good.

Reactions: SoParkLion
If Emmett and his hacks would spend more time creating framework instead of fighting against it, things might be a whole lot better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT