ADVERTISEMENT

Apple has a big release today

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
and there is a lot of speculation. Apparently, Apple has spent $1B on original programming. Rumors are of a new Apple TV with $9.99/month subscription service to their basic programming as well as 200 subscriptions to magazines and newspapers. Also, access to (addition fee) HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. They internally refer to this release as their "Netflix Killer".

Show starts at 1:00 EST.

and there is a lot of speculation. Apparently, Apple has spent $1B on original programming. Rumors are of a new Apple TV with $9.99/month subscription service to their basic programming as well as 200 subscriptions to magazines and newspapers. Also, access to (addition fee) HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. They internally refer to this release as their "Netflix Killer".

An "Apple TV" as in an actual television or a streaming box?

That's great and all but I don't want to pay another 9.99 a month. Why can't someone take all these good viewing options and package them together and broadcast them in one package for one fee a month.

TIC above but for real. All the networks would need to do is produce TV shows and movies that are worth watching and this wouldn't be happening. Instead I get 300 channels of crap, live sporting events, and maybe 3 channels worth watching, then I have to shell out $40.00 a month in streaming services to get other shows that are entertaining.

An "Apple TV" as in an actual television or a streaming box?
It is another streaming box. Two issues of note:
  1. As long as your apple TV shares the same wifi as you iPhone, iPad or Mac you can share the screen on the TV by simply pulling down a menu. At my company, everyone has a TV on their office wall and you can share your screen at any time. At home, I share photos and home movies as well as the browser when we are planning anything as a family.
  2. The UI looks like an iPhone. You download apps and they appear on your screen as Icons. So running your TV becomes like running your iPhone. So I have CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, HGTV, History, etc. along with HBOtoGo, B1G and many more. I even have a "fireplace" icon and a fireworks Icon. Its all in 4K.
giphy.gif

Im confused. I have an apple tv now and its free. they are coming out with a new one that I have to pay $10 a month to use? And for that I get magazine and newpapers subcriptions?

Is this a joke?

That's great and all but I don't want to pay another 9.99 a month. Why can't someone take all these good viewing options and package them together and broadcast them in one package for one fee a month.

TIC above but for real. All the networks would need to do is produce TV shows and movies that are worth watching and this wouldn't be happening. Instead I get 300 channels of crap, live sporting events, and maybe 3 channels worth watching, then I have to shell out $40.00 a month in streaming services to get other shows worth watching.

Don't forget commercials, more and more commercials every year. They're to the point that networks are broadcasting shows at faster speeds in order to squeeze in more commercials.

IMO the only thing that would approach being a netflix "killer" will be the new Disney+ service. Though in reality most folks won't choose between the two and will simply add another $10, or dump another service like Hulu or Amazon.

Im confused. I have an apple tv now and its free. they are coming out with a new one that I have to pay $10 a month to use? And for that I get magazine and newpapers subcriptions?

Is this a joke?
you got/have this for free?

apple-tv-4th-generation-copy.jpg

Live with no subscription?
Today, not live. Archived. Not sure what the release is...perhaps live, IDK. Today, it is also tied to my cable subscription.

My guess is that Apple is going to go the route of Hulu and Direct TV...subscription through apple to get all kinds of content....remains to be seen.

TIC above but for real. All the networks would need to do is produce TV shows and movies that are worth watching and this wouldn't be happening. Instead I get 300 channels of crap, live sporting events, and maybe 3 channels worth watching, then I have to shell out $40.00 a month in streaming services to get other shows that are entertaining.

I couldn't narrow my viewing down to three channels. I watch ESPN 1 & 2, TCM, BBC, PBS, FX, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, SciFi, Bloomberg, Comedy Central, the four major broadcast networks, etc. The stuff I want to see is pretty spread out.

So you can watch shows that have already aired, but only ones they select to post for free on those channels?
Yes...but I've been doing this for years. Remains to be seen what the release is but Apple appears to be pushing a lot of PR for it.

I am hopeful they go the route of Direct TV and stream content under each icon. You then run it like your phone. Want ABC at 8:30 on Friday? click the ABC button - go to live or archived. As I said, IDK. Could just be Netflix warmed over by Apple. I haven't seen Apple bowl anyone over with product since Job's pipeline was exhausted.

It is another streaming box. Two issues of note:
  1. As long as your apple TV shares the same wifi as you iPhone, iPad or Mac you can share the screen on the TV by simply pulling down a menu. At my company, everyone has a TV on their office wall and you can share your screen at any time. At home, I share photos and home movies as well as the browser when we are planning anything as a family.
  2. The UI looks like an iPhone. You download apps and they appear on your screen as Icons. So running your TV becomes like running your iPhone. So I have CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, HGTV, History, etc. along with HBOtoGo, B1G and many more. I even have a "fireplace" icon and a fireworks Icon. Its all in 4K.
giphy.gif

this is why I LOVE my ATV. being able to share my screen (laptop/iPad/iPhone) is HUGE. we have a really good surround sound on our TV, so being able to stream my music to my TV when we're cleaning or show someone pictures of my son or of a trip on our TV is super helpful. LOVE it.

re: the UI looking like an iPhone/iPad, this makes it super intuitive as long as you are used to the interface. Same reason I've grown to love carplay in my truck. it's why I've gone strictly apple for everything I have, because it's all the same general interface.

Reactions: psuken
you got/have this for free?

apple-tv-4th-generation-copy.jpg

Yeah kinda. An older version. My remote doesn’t look like that but the box part does and I have all the apps for free. Things like Netflix, HBO, mlbtv I pay extra for though

this is why I LOVE my ATV. being able to share my screen (laptop/iPad/iPhone) is HUGE. we have a really good surround sound on our TV, so being able to stream my music to my TV when we're cleaning or show someone pictures of my son or of a trip on our TV is super helpful. LOVE it.

re: the UI looking like an iPhone/iPad, this makes it super intuitive as long as you are used to the interface. Same reason I've grown to love carplay in my truck. it's why I've gone strictly apple for everything I have, because it's all the same general interface.
totally agree. It is why I switched and now standardized on Apple from Mac, phone and tablet. Also, I often use the screen saver videos on 4K when I have guests over. The clarity is stunning. OLED must be incredible.

If apple can get to live streaming of sports and network TV, they can dominate the space.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Yeah kinda. An older version. My remote doesn’t look like that but the box part does and I have all the apps for free. Things like Netflix, HBO, mlbtv I pay extra for though
Well, you paid for that apple TV or someone gave it to you. the newest version is 4K. Regardless, lots of the programming is free (with commercials). However, they MAY be offering live which means you can standardize on Apple TV and cut the chord (except High Speed Internet). Point being you can watch old shows or stream current. You can go to HBO, Netflix or whatever via subscription. You can also view Apple produced content (as I mentioned, they spent $1B producing their own content: movies and TV series).

But again, who knows what they are releasing....we'll know this afternoon. But if they get into streaming live content, cutting the cord will go mainstream and cable companies will be in deep doodoo.

Offering a service with original content and access to other subscription services doesn't exactly sound groundbreaking.

Reactions: PS4814

What Apple seems to be releasing today is akin to having another paid streaming app on your Apple TV. It has zero to do with owning the unit it self.

Perhaps coincidentally, YouTube TV is reportedly giving up on their "Netflix Killer" original programming today.

Reactions: bmw199 and Obliviax
What Apple seems to be releasing today is akin to having another paid streaming app on your Apple TV. It has zero to do with owning the unit it self.

Oh ok. I thought you guys were all paying monthly fees just to use the current set up. I understand now.

Oh ok. I thought you guys were all paying monthly fees just to use the current set up. I understand now.

Nope. The Apple TV itself is simply a gateway to other products/services, just like a Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc.

Always keep an open mind, but Apple has no clue about how to do content. Unlike, say, Amazon or Microsoft, they haven't been successful in multiple businesses -- all they know how to do is design electronic gadgets. They're not even very good at writing software for those gadgets. And they haven't particularly good at anything since Jobs died.

Chances are they will basically sell this to Apple cultists who are too dumb to realize it costs as much as Netflix with about 1/50th of the content that Netflix has. And they won't even try to support Roku or Amazon Fire or game consoles, because they know the non-Apple fanboy market is not going to buy it.

$1 billion sounds like a lot until you realize Netflix is spending $11 billion PER YEAR.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PS4814
Always keep an open mind, but Apple has no clue about how to do content. Unlike, say, Amazon or Microsoft, they haven't been successful in multiple businesses -- all they know how to do is design electronic gadgets. They're not even very good at writing software for those gadgets. And they haven't particularly good at anything since Jobs died.

Chances are they will basically sell this to Apple cultists who are too dumb to realize it costs as much as Netflix with about 1/50th of the content that Netflix has. And they won't even try to support Roku or Amazon Fire or game consoles, because they know the non-Apple fanboy market is not going to buy it.

$1 billion sounds like a lot until you realize Netflix is spending $11 billion PER YEAR.

Totally disagree. Apple was super late to the streaming music game and now has more paid subscribers than any other platform (to the tune of about 50mm). Apple doesn't fail very often.

Totally disagree. Apple was super late to the streaming music game and now has more paid subscribers than any other platform (to the tune of about 50mm). Apple doesn't fail very often.
I am with you. The keys to success aren't "content" but access and delivery. It is the infrastructure. Apple will hire the right content people, if they want to. With over half the digital devices and well over half of the downloaded apps being from Apple, the content is the easy part.

I've been waiting for them to get into the video streaming service. If they do, this could be VERY disruptive to the industry. Having said that, there are a lot of contractual entanglements to overcome. So it may not be in their best interests to go up against the other content providers.

I am with you. The keys to success aren't "content" but access and delivery. It is the infrastructure. Apple will hire the right content people, if they want to. With over half the digital devices and well over half of the downloaded apps being from Apple, the content is the easy part.

I've been waiting for them to get into the video streaming service. If they do, this could be VERY disruptive to the industry. Having said that, there are a lot of contractual entanglements to overcome. So it may not be in their best interests to go up against the other content providers.

I'm not going to count Apple out either because of this and what Midnighter said. That said, IMO, Netflix is still in the driver's seat because of its quality, GUI, and technology. If they released a Hulu Live TV-like service, things would get really interesting.

Reactions: BBrown
I'm not going to count Apple out either because of this and what Midnighter said. That said, IMO, Netflix is still in the driver's seat because of its quality, GUI, and technology. If they released a Hulu Live TV-like service, things would get really interesting.
I agree. If it is a copy of netflix, OK. for me, if I had to choose between netflix and Amazon, I'd pick amazon. I also get free delivery!

+1.
Also I completely disagree with this..."all they know how to do is design electronic gadgets."
My Imac and MacbookPro says otherwise as do countless CGI artists and studios.
Completely stupid comment.:rolleyes:

Agree to a point. I think Netflix has some awesome content but their GUI stinks.
I think I read last week that they were re-designing their GUI.
+1 on the last part and if Apple could pull that off look out.

+1.
Also I completely disagree with this..."all they know how to do is design electronic gadgets."
My Imac and powerbook say otherwise as do countless CGI artists and studios.
Agree...but the issue is delivery. As Midnighter stated, they already have millions of people going to their stores on a daily basis. It wold take billions to drive those kinds of user behaviors. Lets look at Netflix:
  • They got rich mailing CD's, when CD's were smaller than VCR tapes and killed blockbuster, et all.
  • When streaming got hot, they correctly went to streaming so you didn't have to mail
  • They saw that was no longer a differentiator so moved to content

However, Amazon is better at streaming and HBO (et all) are better at content. Netflix no longer has a differentiator other than mass. If Apple can steal their, and the rest of Hollywood's, content makers away, game over. As you move into movies/gaming/VR....Apple is so well positioned. Can they do it? We'll see but I certainly wouldn't bet against them.

+1.
My Imac and powerbook say otherwise as do countless CGI artists and studios.

When they partner with someone, it will be big. I mean, they spent $3bn to parter with Dr. Dre on headphones. They had Trent Reznor as Apple Music Creative Director for about half a decade (he just left the job last year). They'll get Speilberg, Tarantino, etc. - basically anyone they want - to deliver new content. They also have a rabid, built in consumer base that will support them.

Apple is NOT looking to revolutionize the like the did with IPod, IPhone, and IPad. The watch was a dud. Apple going streaming is just an attempt to open up another revenue/profit business. They are not going to overtake Amazon or Netflix or whomever. They are just looking to take their share of the streaming business. They have the users, so all they have to go is get the Apple users to switch over. Streaming is becoming akin to cell phones coverage, people go with whomever has the best deal and Apple wants to be in the game as they can now bundle it with other Apple related stuff.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Exactly. At this point Apple TV is in no way a "Netflix killer". To be a killer of netflix the service (imo) would need to be one that causes people to cancel their subscriptions. The only service that has a chance to come anywhere near being a "Netflix killer" in the coming years is Disney+ due to their massive media library and what sounds like commitment to new programming going forward. It's all about producing good content and if the numbers you're quoting of 1 to 11 billion between Apple and Netflix any content Apple is putting out will pale in comparison.

Also subscriptions to magazines/newspapers isn't much of a needle mover because there are numerous ways to get free news online these days, and magazine revenues have been declining for the last decade: https://www.statista.com/statistics/184055/estimated-revenue-of-us-periodical-publishers-since-2005/

Plus many of the features that Apple TV has are things that already exist. With Chromecast I'm able to share/mirror my iPhone and MacBook screens with my TV. With Roku I'm able to play Sirius or Pandora through my surround system, or I can skip the TV entirely and connect my phone directly to my system via Bluetooth.

Apple is NOT looking to revolutionize the like the did with IPod, IPhone, and IPad. The watch was a dud. Apple going streaming is just an attempt to open up another revenue/profit business. They are not going to overtake Amazon or Netflix or whomever. They are just looking to take their share of the streaming business. They have the users, so all they have to go is get the Apple users to switch over. Streaming is becoming akin to cell phones coverage, people go with whomever has the best deal and Apple wants to be in the game as they can now bundle it with other Apple related stuff.

Kind of disagree.
Apple is not getting into this to come in 3rd.

Reactions: nittnee
Agree...but the issue is delivery. As Midnighter stated, they already have millions of people going to their stores on a daily basis. It wold take billions to drive those kinds of user behaviors. Lets look at Netflix:
  • They got rich mailing CD's, when CD's were smaller than VCR tapes and killed blockbuster, et all.
  • When streaming got hot, they correctly went to streaming so you didn't have to mail
  • They saw that was no longer a differentiator so moved to content

However, Amazon is better at streaming and HBO (et all) are better at content. Netflix no longer has a differentiator other than mass. If Apple can steal their, and the rest of Hollywood's, content makers away, game over. As you move into movies/gaming/VR....Apple is so well positioned. Can they do it? We'll see but I certainly wouldn't bet against them.
Interesting comment on content.
Is HBO really better than Netflix? I guess it is subjective. I look more at the breadth of Netflix, and am not a Game of Thrones watcher.

Kind of disagree.
Apple is not getting into this to come in 3rd.

I doubt if you put Tim Cook on a lie detector does he think that Apple streaming is going to take over and beat Amazon, Netflix, etc....he expects to compete with them unless Apple is going to unveil some crazy new techno which everybody must have (which is doubtful). Apple knows it's day of literally inventing the way people live are done. Steve Jobs said before he died that he thought he had 2 or 3 more crazy ideas that would be the next Ipod, Iphone, Ipad but we will never know. Apple hasn't done anything this decade since the Ipad that even borders on anything. Iwatch was not that big. The new Iphones are not even considered best techno anymore as Samsung galaxy probably is equal or better in some aspects. Apple realizes they just need to keep up with the Joneses at this point. Sounds like they dropped the self-driving car start-up. They are way behind Google and Amazon on cloud sharing storage.

So the are getting squeezed by Samsung (and the Chinese) on the Phone techno. They are getting squeezed by Dell, Lenovo, et al on the computer side. They are way behind Amazon and Google in competition for cloud computing and storage. So they need revenue as their traditional revenue streams are only going to shrink.

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT