ADVERTISEMENT

Appaently there are two JERKS in the state of Indiana that coach football!

Not being allowed to eat with the non-injured players seems much ado about nothing.

As for calling injured players a waste of a scholarship, it could be his attempt to motivate kids who are 'milking' an injury.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not being allowed to eat with the non-injured players seems much ado about nothing.

As for calling injured players a waste of a scholarship, it could be his attempt to motivate kids who are 'milking' an injury.
I'm not a coach. At any level of any sport. It is nevertheless hard to see how this could work. If it does work, and is the favorite and most successful tactic of all the best coaches, it will hasten the end of CFB.

Shaming kids with concussions will lead to more concussions and more permanent brain damage, and that will lead to the end of CFB as we know it.

Ehh... if you don't like the way he treats injured players, then don't play football for him. He sure doesn't sound like a nice guy, but the whole political correctness thing in this country is getting way out of hand. There are a-holes and jerks out there... you can legislate against this. You have to teach your kids the standard at which they should treat others and that they should expect to be treated. You should also team your kids that when someone says something that offends you, it's not a physical attack towards you. Your kids don't need a safe place! Sticks and stones...

This was probably leaked by Urban/tOSU because his offensive scheme sucks and it gives him good reason to fire him. :D

Ehh... if you don't like the way he treats injured players, then don't play football for him. He sure doesn't sound like a nice guy, but the whole political correctness thing in this country is getting way out of hand. There are a-holes and jerks out there... you can legislate against this. You have to teach your kids the standard at which they should treat others and that they should expect to be treated. You should also team your kids that when someone says something that offends you, it's not a physical attack towards you. Your kids don't need a safe place! Sticks and stones...
One man's PC is another man's humane treatment. When we are talking about the lifelong effects of brain injury, there is no room for political correctness, nor what you pretend is its opposite. What is medically and psychologically correct?

That's the issue.

Reactions: ralphster

Going to take issue with one part of your comment. When you say that if you don't like it don't play for the coach due to the NCAA transfer rules the kid would lose a season if they wanted to play for someone else. For some folks that's not something easily done depending on scholarships being offered and/or majors at prospective schools. Plus when being recruited kids and families don't see the bad stuff going on behind the scenes so you can't claim caveat emptor.

I know you want to rally against the PC culture / special snowflakes / millennials but it's not as simple as "you don't like it, don't play for him".

Of all fan bases, we should not convict Wilson of any wrongdoing based on hearsay from a few disgruntled players. I am not convinced that the 2 or 3 players complaining about this unfair treatment deserve more credibility than Wilson himself or several of the players that came to his defense and were perfectly satisfied with their treatment on the team. I'm not calling these kids that run to the newspapers about their experience millennial snowflakes, but its possible. Look, back in the day, coaches used to say if you are hurt you are no good to me. We loved that tough "rub some dirt on it" mentality in football, but its changed....and maybe for the better. Now, we need to be much more protective of concussions knowing what we know now and there are coaches that push players too far...its not right, but I don't know that I trust every kid that has a problem with a coaching staff immediately. The subject in this story transferred to another school and seems like he had a bad experience there too, now he doesn't play the sport anymore citing that "football is in the dirt to him." I don't know guys, maybe Wilson treated these kids terribly, maybe the kids and their helicopter parents complained enough to make a change at IU. I dont know, but I feel like we should not judge.

Shall we conclude that all abusers and their enablers are welcomed with open arms at THE Ohio State University as long as they help the Buckeyes win football games? #culture

* Kevin Wilson
* Greg Schiano
* Larry Johnson, Sr.
* Etc., etc.

Somewhat reluctant to cast such stones, as OSU fans have been the least offensive of all our peers. Still, commit this to memory, because you will all be made to eat s#it at some point or another by every fanbase on the planet. Your best defense is to play the hypocritical culture card, for which almost everyone is guilty.
Larry Johnson? His son Larry may be a jerk but Tony and his sister are stand up people. Sometimes your kids are just jerks.

I agree with Demlion. It will just make kids deny they are hurt. Wilson may be a victim of not being able to change with the times. I had a coach grab my face mask and twist it. We had a coach make us head but the tackling dummy. We used to play "bull in the ring" where the coach called a number and he'd hit the designated guy in the middle of the ring with a running head start. I was yelled at, when in the ring, for submarining the oncoming dude that was twice my size.

And we had great coaches. Back in the day, all acceptable. in fact, probably common.

This happened with Craig James' kid too.

Coaches need to catch up. Its all about the health of the players.

Reactions: ram2020
One man's PC is another man's humane treatment. When we are talking about the lifelong effects of brain injury, there is no room for political correctness, nor what you pretend is its opposite. What is medically and psychologically correct?

That's the issue.
I'm not saying that someone with a concussion or other real injury should be brought back prematurely, whether they are guilted into it or whether symptoms are ignored. It is a fact that many college players have an adjustment period when entering the NFL because they have to learn to separate pain from injury. My point was that name calling is just name calling, and people should be taught not to let this type of thing affect them.

I was never a gifted athlete, but I have been part of some elite teams in the military. I can tell you that these teams didn't become or remain elite by holding hands in a circle and singing Kumbaya...

Reactions: tjo101
Of all fan bases, we should not convict Wilson of any wrongdoing based on hearsay from a few disgruntled players. I am not convinced that the 2 or 3 players complaining about this unfair treatment deserve more credibility than Wilson himself or several of the players that came to his defense and were perfectly satisfied with their treatment on the team. I'm not calling these kids that run to the newspapers about their experience millennial snowflakes, but its possible. Look, back in the day, coaches used to say if you are hurt you are no good to me. We loved that tough "rub some dirt on it" mentality in football, but its changed....and maybe for the better. Now, we need to be much more protective of concussions knowing what we know now and there are coaches that push players too far...its not right, but I don't know that I trust every kid that has a problem with a coaching staff immediately. The subject in this story transferred to another school and seems like he had a bad experience there too, now he doesn't play the sport anymore citing that "football is in the dirt to him." I don't know guys, maybe Wilson treated these kids terribly, maybe the kids and their helicopter parents complained enough to make a change at IU. I dont know, but I feel like we should not judge.

Has he denied any of this? I would be happy to read his denials.

It seems odd to me that a college kid would milk an injury, in general they seem to strongly desire playing time. Most will never advance to the NFL and this is their last chance, those who do want to showcase their skills for a bigger payday. I understand that might happen a lot in pro sports, but it seems like it would be very rare at the college level.

Reactions: tjo101

Absolutely agree about the disgruntled player aspect. I remember when Mike Leach was ousted at Texas Tech and ESPN promoted the statement of one disgruntled player who seemed to justify Leach being terminated.

My point is that you are always going to find someone who can promote your agenda. With respect to Coach Wilson, I do want to hear from more of the players. When you have a roster of 100, it's not going to be hard to find a couple who have an axe to grind.

I, in no way, am saying the allegations are false. I just want to hear from more of the folks who had direct involvement with that program.

Does he have to?

Not at all. But if he is a public person, and heinous allegations have been made about him by witnesses, and he was investigated by Indiana, and he left over "philosophical issues," then people are going to reasonably make some conclusions about him. If he is okay with that he does not have to respond at all. I suspect he is going to get sued. He does not have to respond to that either.

Not at all. But if he is a public person, and heinous allegations have been made about him by witnesses, and he was investigated by Indiana, and he left over "philosophical issues," then people are going to reasonably make some conclusions about him. If he is okay with that he does not have to respond at all. I suspect he is going to get sued. He does not have to respond to that either.

Agree and disagree. I am sure that the U paid out a lot of money that was negotiated as part of the separation agreement. I am sure that he was paid a lot more if he signed a non-disclosure, a lot less if he refused. And even if he did refuse, he'd still be fired.

It wasn't a lot different about Paterno. You take a bunch of unsubstantiated allegations, you ignore the other side of the story. You add in the press, who is always going to take the side of the kid over the overpaid coach, and a crap load of bad PR. All of that results in the U firing the coach, making no claims, the coach walking away with several million dollars and the press to pick over the bones.

Fair. Maybe he doesn't care that 40% of the population that reads these reports thinks he is derogatory to injured players? He is a football coach, couple players complained he is hard on injured players. I don't know, I need a lot more personally to convict him.

Shall we conclude that all abusers and their enablers are welcomed with open arms at THE Ohio State University as long as they help the Buckeyes win football games? #culture

* Kevin Wilson
* Greg Schiano
* Larry Johnson, Sr.
* Etc., etc.

Somewhat reluctant to cast such stones, as OSU fans have been the least offensive of all our peers. Still, commit this to memory, because you will all be made to eat s#it at some point or another by every fanbase on the planet. Your best defense is to play the hypocritical culture card, for which almost everyone is guilty.
Abusers and enablers? What are you getting at, especially re: Schiano and LJ Sr. I get that PSU fans have a love-hate with Schiano, but the aspersions seem off.

I think the reluctance to cast stones should be based more on accuracy than how tOSU fans responded to the scandal. I've read your post a few times and still don't quite know what you were getting at. I can't imagine any PSU fan suggesting LJ or Schiano should be tarnished by our own scandal. If that was the joke, it wasn't funny.

Kevin Wilson is the only one named that I see as having a tarnished reputation. He sounds like an a$$. Why bring Schiano into it? And even if you hate Schiano, why bring LJ Sr into it? From all accounts, he's a stand-up guy.

Abusers and enablers? What are you getting at, especially re: Schiano and LJ Sr. I get that PSU fans have a love-hate with Schiano, but the aspersions seem off.

I think the reluctance to cast stones should be based more on accuracy than how tOSU fans responded to the scandal. I've read your post a few times and still don't quite know what you were getting at. I can't imagine any PSU fan suggesting LJ or Schiano should be tarnished by our own scandal. If that was the joke, it wasn't funny.

Kevin Wilson is the only one named that I see as having a tarnished reputation. He sounds like an a$$. Why bring Schiano into it? And even if you hate Schiano, why bring LJ Sr into it? From all accounts, he's a stand-up guy.

Not to speak for ChiTown, but I interpreted that as saying that as all of us in the PSU community were painted with a broad brush, it would be easy for an uninformed accuser to point back to Meyer bringing in Wilson on the heels of bringing in PSU coaches who were here when JS was.... even if they were not painted that way before.
I didn't think, and I could be wrong of course, that he himself was lumping those two into it, just pointing out the broad brush approach used by so many outsiders looking to find something wrong.
But, I agree it is not clear.
ChiTown?

Fair. Maybe he doesn't care that 40% of the population that reads these reports thinks he is derogatory to injured players? He is a football coach, couple players complained he is hard on injured players. I don't know, I need a lot more personally to convict him.
My response was to a poster who was apparently taking the accusations as true.

Not to speak for ChiTown, but I interpreted that as saying that as all of us in the PSU community were painted with a broad brush, it would be easy for an uninformed accuser to point back to Meyer bringing in Wilson on the heels of bringing in PSU coaches who were here when JS was.... even if they were not painted that way before.
I didn't think, and I could be wrong of course, that he himself was lumping those two into it, just pointing out the broad brush approach used by so many outsiders looking to find something wrong.
ChiTown?
I hope you're right.

"Shall we conclude that all abusers and their enablers are welcomed with open arms at THE Ohio State University as long as they help the Buckeyes win football games?"

Who's the "We?"

"... you will all be made to eat s#it at some point... Your best defense is to play the hypocritical culture card, for which almost everyone is guilty."

There are a few "you(s)" in there, but my read is a generic you, a hypothetical anybody.

As much as we love our team and our university, this seems an unhealthy perspective. At some point, my collegiate team wears blue and the other collegiate team wears red. And scandals shouldn't be invented to take unfair shots at the competition.

What happened to the victims was awful.
The unjust response was shameful (still is).
But no thanks to the suggestion we return the favor.

ChiTown?

Tough to get a good feel for the overall situation at Indiana. I have not kept up with all this but read both the attached article and the Indianapolis newspaper article.

The Indy article quickly buried that several players (including those with injuries) came forward to say this was not true. It was a 1 sentence denial buried in the story that got nowhere near the attention of the player who said it was true. They also said that OSU/ Wilson didn't "immediately respond" to them before printing the article. That phrasing just hit me wrong like the paper knew he'd never respond quick enough to alter the article they were going to print. (I guess I'm just jaded by media coverage/ agendas anymore that the sentence bothered me).

Who knows the full truth here? All the schools claim to 'care about the student athlete' but both Indiana and Ohio St likely have gag orders on their athletic departments which won't help. So, it ends up in a 'he said/ she said' stalemate.

Tough to get a good feel for the overall situation at Indiana. I have not kept up with all this but read both the attached article and the Indianapolis newspaper article.

The Indy article quickly buried that several players (including those with injuries) came forward to say this was not true. It was a 1 sentence denial buried in the story that got nowhere near the attention of the player who said it was true. They also said that OSU/ Wilson didn't "immediately respond" to them before printing the article. That phrasing just hit me wrong like the paper knew he'd never respond quick enough to alter the article they were going to print. (I guess I'm just jaded by media coverage/ agendas anymore that the sentence bothered me).

Who knows the full truth here? All the schools claim to 'care about the student athlete' but both Indiana and Ohio St likely have gag orders on their athletic departments which won't help. So, it ends up in a 'he said/ she said' stalemate.

Players defending him is normal victim behavior, or so I am told. Some may even continue to have close personal relationships with him. I hope they all undergo repressed memory therapy to see what they remember about the situation.

As for he said/she said, I disagree. Victims don't lie, so all that is needed is their word.

Once when I was 12 I was knocked silly by a slap shot to the mask when I was a hockey goalie. As the coaches all babied me while I was laid out on the ice my Dad came out of the stands, shuffled over to me, leaned down and said, "sew up your vagina and get back in net".

I'd like to think his approach served me better in the real world

ChiTown?
Bingo. Thank you.

Remember. Everyone knew. We all knew and did nothing. And if we are to accept the headlines as gospel then Greg Schiano watched JS abuse a boy and walked away. Like Mike.

All because someone had a vendetta to serve.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Bob78
Once when I was 12 I was knocked silly by a slap shot to the mask when I was a hockey goalie. As the coaches all babied me while I was laid out on the ice my Dad came out of the stands, shuffled over to me, leaned down and said, "sew up your vagina and get back in net".

I'd like to think his approach served me better in the real world

As JVP woulda said about your injury, "He's got a mangina."
No?
"Labium"?
Ok, maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT