ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hearing anything about spring practice. Surprises, disappointments, anything?

Coaching and team will likely disappoint many, if not most here.
New WR Coach will fail at least occasionally to teach magnificent gifted athletes to catch the ball.
There will likely be times when the coaches will not be playing the best players and certainly we will disagree with the starters at some positions.
Stevens will fall short at some point and prove the Clifford crew was correct all along.
Special teams will spark outrage when a punt is not caught. After all, special teams are so simple and uncomplicated. Even a cave man could coach them. It would not be football season if our Lions didn't lose a game or two on coaching alone. This will spawn widespread disappointment that Franklin will not step down to exclusive recruiter and pass the torch to a flavor of the week coach....perhaps one who "self scouts"......who was that guy from Purdue again? He's the man. Beat Ohio State (Auburn 63-Purdue 14.) LOL
Yes, the jury is out on Franklin and especially Limegrover and any other position coach whose charges have a bad week. "Off with their heads!"
As for the players.....some just don't "want it" the way we do! I'm also concerned that some of our OL look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I think that the Galt fellow may need some scrutiny from our collective wisdom here!

Reactions: CbusLion10
Some of the freshman are looking good.
Parsons & YGM are going to have a big year.
Need to find a defensive tackle rotation.
Couple of Oline spots up for grabs.
Clifford and Levi's going to get a lot of reps this spring.
BW game rosters will make most people scratch their head.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Dennis Onkotz, ILB, 1967-69 ... stats as a punt returner:

1967: 5 returns for 86 yards (17.2 avg), 1 TD
1968: 18, for 206 yards (11.6 avg), 0 TD
1969: 24; for 325 (15.6 avg), 1 TD

BTW, Onkotz had 13 interceptions in just 3 years, returning 3 for TDS.

All of that from an INSIDE linebacker. And some fans don’t consider Onkotz th best LB in PSU history.

Dennis Onkotz, ILB, 1967-69 ... stats as a punt returner:

1967: 5 returns for 86 yards (17.2 avg), 1 TD
1968: 18, for 206 yards (11.6 avg), 0 TD
1969: 24; for 325 (15.6 avg), 1 TD

BTW, Onkotz had 13 interceptions in just 3 years, returning 3 for TDS.

All of that from an INSIDE linebacker. And some fans don’t consider Onkotz th best LB in PSU history.
He gets overlooked for playing next to Jack Ham. They were both great. I’ll always remember the goaline stand tackle by Onkotz around the 3 yard line. That’s where I want my ashes scattered.

Last edited:
He gets overlooked for playing next to Jack Ham. They were both great. I’ll always remember the goalie stand tackle by Onkotz around the 3 yard line. That’s where I want my ashes scattered.

He wasn’t overlooked by those who saw him play. (And the goal line tackle you remember so well was late in a game vs a very highly ranked North Carolina State!)

He’s overlooked by many because Ham went on and had a sensational NFL career while Onkotz never had that opportunity because of injury.

He wasn’t overlooked by those who saw him play. (And the goal line tackle you remember so well was late in a game vs a very highly ranked North Carolina State!)

He’s overlooked by many because Ham went on and had a sensational NFL career while Onkotz never had that opportunity because of injury.
Franco is overrated as a PS back for the same reason - NFL.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I was there! My second ever PSU game.

He gets overlooked for playing next to Jack Ham. They were both great. I’ll always remember the goaline stand tackle by Onkotz around the 3 yard line. That’s where I want my ashes scattered.

And Jim Kates at the other lb position.
It didn’t hurt to have a defensive line of Lipincott, Smear, Ried & Spazianni.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT