ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have recs for online sites to buy high quality suits?

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
Is there such a thing? I always bought suits at Joe Banks and Brooks Brothers, but their suits are now either lower quality, way overpriced, or both. Would love to find a site that I could purchase a decent suit from and get it tailored locally.

Is there such a thing? I always bought suits at Joe Banks and Brooks Brothers, but their suits are now either lower quality, way overpriced, or both. Would love to find a site that I could purchase a decent suit from and get it tailored locally.
I've had luck with Tom James. They come to you with fabrics and are prepared to take measurements. Turn around time is about 4- 5 weeks. Good quality and if the suit fit is not how you want it or you lose or gain weight they will adjust.

Fairgambit industries

Has a full line of high quality items
He proudly outfits Mr. Douglas. 3 piece suits only twice as much as a 2 piece suit.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Is there such a thing? I always bought suits at Joe Banks and Brooks Brothers, but their suits are now either lower quality, way overpriced, or both. Would love to find a site that I could purchase a decent suit from and get it tailored locall
davidalanclothing.com. Pittsburgh kid. Good quality.

Fairgambit industries

Has a full line of high quality items
Thank you for the plug sunshinedynomite. Word has reached me at my yak farm in eastern Tibet that there was a reference in this thread to Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. I can officially confirm that we are still in business and our prices have never been higher nor our quality lower. If you are ready to buy, and have at least $25,000 in small, unmarked bills, you can have your people call my people to arrange for a personal meeting with one of my top sales associates. Remember our promise. At Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises, "no one charges you more for less." Happy New Year to all!

He gets his goods from many different resale shops, goodwill, salvation army, and other mission related stores.

Reactions: fairgambit
Thank you for the plug sunshinedynomite. Word has reached me at my yak farm in eastern Tibet that there was a reference in this thread to Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. I can officially confirm that we are still in business and our prices have never been higher nor our quality lower. If you are ready to buy, and have at least $25,000 in small, unmarked bills, you can have your people call my people to arrange for a personal meeting with one of my top sales associates. Remember our promise. At Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises, "no one charges you more for less." Happy New Year to all!
Good to hear from. Thought the yaks had you so satiated that you forgot all about us. Yaks do that to a man.

I have been pleased with SuitSupply, I find them a slight step above Indochino in terms of construction and fit. I would recommend going to one of their retail locations for measurements and off the rack fittings, they will customize from there.

Ironically I just had to buy a suit. I may be interviewing and that’s the only reason. Too much middle age fat for my existing suits.

I can wear jeans every day at work if I want to - and I’m never going back. Casual every day is almost non-negotiable for any job I look for in the next 7 or so years before retirement. If it’s a huge payday, sure, I’ll suck it up, but I’m fine where I am if it comes down to it. Wish I could have done this back in my 20s when I was poor - instead I had to have 3-4 suits and go to the dry cleaners weekly.

Got a bespoke suit for my daughter’s wedding. Very pleased.
I had a poor experience with indochino. I didn't have an indochino store near me so I did my own measurements. It's not like going to the Men's Warehouse where they measure your waist, chest, leg length, sleeve length, etc. Indochino must have 30 different measurements that include your wrists and ankles. It was also depressing to learn that the 36" waist pants I usually buy off the rack are really much more than 36". They lie to make you feel better.

I was concerned that my pants would be too tight to my ankles because I see that's how young people wear them. I called a store and explained that I'm an older guy that didn't want the same fit as a young guy. I did my measurements per instructions and had my wife triple check them, then I sent them with a photo of myself to the store rep. They make a couple of changes based on my photos and sent the order. When the suit arrived it wasn't even close. I took it to a tailor who fixed it as best he could and Indochino reimbursed me for the alterations. Even so it was a hassle.

I was also disappointed in the fabric but that might have been what the wedding party selected. It thin like linen and it wrinkled easily.

3Good to hear from. Thought the yaks had you so satiated that you forgot all about us. Yaks do that to a man.
Oh, the yak stories I could tell you! That aside, as you can imagine, running a gazillion dollar international business is very demanding and leaves little time for anything else. What time I do have has been spent on the other site, but it appears there is an underserved market here and so I will try to check in a bit more often.:)

Oh, not for the suits. For ****ing shirts - medium starch. Again, I was a poor congressional staffer, but had to dress like I was a congressman. Had like 10 nice shirts in a rotation, so was always getting those done.

I tend to go on tangents pretty quickly on this board. Yeah, dry cleaning suits weekly would either be insane or you live in a place with endless dust storms or Pittsburgh in the 20s (where guys would bring extra dress shirts to work every day due to coal dust in the air)

Last edited:
So, as an aside, how often do you guys wear suits? I’m 55 and in a big company but it grew from a start up and we got acquired. We’ve lost a lot of our start up culture (booze in the office, flat org structure, little bureaucracy), but have kept the very casual dress “code”. It’s one area where the vets like me and the starry eyed millennials we hire by the truckload agree.

So, as an aside, how often do you guys wear suits? I’m 55 and in a big company but it grew from a start up and we got acquired. We’ve lost a lot of our start up culture (booze in the office, flat org structure, little bureaucracy), but have kept the very casual dress “code”. It’s one area where the vets like me and the starry eyed millennials we hire by the truckload agree.
I retired early and the only time I wear suits now is to weddings and funerals. I was a headhunter and wore suits everyday from 1983 to 1991. In 1991 I joined a firm and was the #4 employee in what is now a top 10 US executive retained search firm. We dressed very casual and only wore suits when we were out on business development or other senior level meetings. As we aged and grew, we wore very nice business casual attire. Loved our start up culture, but that went away as we grew.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT