ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone grow up in or now live in a really small town?

Too bad the district consolidated with Center. I grew up in Beaver Co. as well (Freedom HS) and the Monaca/Rochester games were legendary - not sure if rivalries like that exist anymore.

As for me....I grew up in a TOWNSHIP, meaning it was so small that they couldn’t even commit to “town” status (and because it was rural...not a single stop light).
I hear you about Monaca and Center merging to form Central Valley, but Monaca's enrollment got so small, that was bound to happen. I hear that will probably happen with Aliquippa someday. Also, Midland, a great basketball power, hasn't had a school for years.

I did! They had stop lights!
You could have gone to beautiful downtown Tarentum for excitement.
Born in Natrona Heights and grew up mostly in West Deer Township. Most of my family worked in those Allegheny Ludlem plants at one point or another. Tarentum was kind of like the big city to me as a kid...saw Smokey and the Bandit at the Manos with my grandfather. My dad was a mailman in Oakmont and his route included the club. I worked a leaderboard at the 83 Open...good times! Now I live just a little east of PearlandLion in League City, TX which has over 100,000 now and growing like crazy.

Reactions: john4psu and royboy
Grew up on a farm just outside of Franconia, PA. Back then the town had a post office, grocery store, barber shop, leather shop, chicken processing plant, and a car/truck repair shop. There may have been 20 houses and families.
All but 2 of the houses are now gone, with the land taken over by the car/truck repair business (and new car/truck dealer) and a veal processing plant. No families live there any more.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Born in Natrona Heights and grew up mostly in West Deer Township. Most of my family worked in those Allegheny Ludlem plants at one point or another. Tarentum was kind of like the big city to me as a kid...saw Smokey and the Bandit at the Manos with my grandfather. My dad was a mailman in Oakmont and his route included the club. I worked a leaderboard at the 83 Open...good times! Now I live just a little east of PearlandLion in League City, TX which has over 100,000 now and growing like crazy.

Did you live near that 9 hole golf course off of Bull Creek Rd?

All these guys from Muncy? Which of you is 'Judy from Muncy'?

I grew up just across the state line from WV in Wash Co. Every town there is small save for Canonsburg now. Greene county has some tiny towns too, Bobtown, Crucible, Ninevah. Mine was West Middletown, population is less than 200 for sure, probably under 100 now.

Spent my summers of my teen years in Apalachin NY. Was less than a thousand people back in the late 70's.-early 80's 1.131 as of 2010.

I grew up 10 miles south of your town in a rural address (dairy farm) of New Enterprise but just three miles south of Baker Summit along the mountain. Used to roam the ridge and mountain all the time, most pleasant memories of my youth. Same high school as Joe Nastasi, Northern Bedford.

Lived in Punxsutawney, Clearfield, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Nottingham (Oxford area) and now Shreve, OH (1+ hour SW of Akron) in a rural area where we see horse and buggy's daily, just like Nottingham and my home. I can live in small and large towns but prefer rural areas. There are generally quiet, if you hear a siren it's a very big deal and it's not light polluted to the level of a town so you can still see the stars (more of them that is).
I grew up 10 miles south of your town in a rural address (dairy farm) of New Enterprise but just three miles south of Baker Summit along the mountain. Used to roam the ridge and mountain all the time, most pleasant memories of my youth. Same high school as Joe Nastasi, Northern Bedford.

Lived in Punxsutawney, Clearfield, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Nottingham (Oxford area) and now Shreve, OH (1+ hour SW of Akron) in a rural area where we see horse and buggy's daily, just like Nottingham and my home. I can live in small and large towns but prefer rural areas. There are generally quiet, if you hear a siren it's a very big deal and it's not light polluted to the level of a town so you can still see the stars (more of them that is).

Carl, my entire family is from Northern Bedford. Curious what your name is.

Any chance you know who Jake Koontz was? He had 6 daughters, one of which is my mom. He was a local cattle truck driver. His daughters all graduated in the late 60s through the 70s. I graduated in the 90s and went to school with Joe and AJ.

There used to be a 9 hole goat track called Sandy Hill...is that the one you mean? Our house growing up was in the development across the road from the HS.

I can chime in. It was Woodlawn Golf Course and Bull Creek ran through it. I played it many times.

There was a nine-hole golf course in Plum called Windy Hill and if it had actual goats on it, it would have improved the course. The greens (if you could call them that) had dandelions. I kid you not.

I can chime in. It was Woodlawn Golf Course and Bull Creek ran through it. I played it many times.

There was a nine-hole golf course in Plum called Windy Hill and if it had actual goats on it, it would have improved the course. The greens (if you could call them that) had dandelions. I kid you not.
Woodlawn! Of course, played it many, many times. Woodlawn was like Oakmont compared to Sandy Hill which now that I think about it, was somewhere out in the sticks off Saxonburg Blvd. I think. We had a family membership at RiverForest which is where I took my lessons from Wynn Treadway. It was just too far for me to get there enough as a kid but it was nice when I did.

I'm not sure if I'm more surprised about:

A: More than 1 person knows where Benton is

B: Millville has either internet or cellphone service for someone from there to respond.
Compared to New Albany (southern Bradford County), Benton and Millville are Hoboken and NYC

Used to be a skit on the radio about a place called Shunk , Pa. Think it's in Sullivan County. Always some sort of sighting there , Elvis , JFK etc

Reactions: AlienWedge

B: Millville has either internet or cellphone service for someone from there to respond.

Wrestling fans and many PSU fans in general recognize Benton, PA for producing great wrestlers, esp. 3-time National Champ Zain Retherford.

Reactions: PearlandLion
Yes and the Hughes Bros. Many know the name but have no Idea where the hell it is.

I wrestled there back in the day. Benton and Northwest Area have a co-op for wrestling and football. For a tiny school Benton has put out some serious wrestlers.

There used to be a 9 hole goat track called Sandy Hill...is that the one you mean? Our house growing up was in the development across the road from the HS.

I'm thinking it might have been Woodlawn. Oops, already noted. I shidda read the previous responses. Saxonburg GC was one of my favorites out that way.

Last edited:
Woodlawn! Of course, played it many, many times. Woodlawn was like Oakmont compared to Sandy Hill which now that I think about it, was somewhere out in the sticks off Saxonburg Blvd. I think. We had a family membership at RiverForest which is where I took my lessons from Wynn Treadway. It was just too far for me to get there enough as a kid but it was nice when I did.

Since yinz played there frequently...I'm sure you recall the elevated par 3. It might have been # 6. There was a relatively thin tree on each of the front corners of the tee box. One time my buddy hit the right tree and the ball ricocheted across to the left tree and dropped right in front of his tee. One time...at band camp...

Reactions: john4psu
Lived 5 fun years of my youth in the village of Oriole, PA. No idea what the population is, or was in the 80s. VERY small community in Lycoming County.

Carl, my entire family is from Northern Bedford. Curious what your name is.

Any chance you know who Jake Koontz was? He had 6 daughters, one of which is my mom. He was a local cattle truck driver. His daughters all graduated in the late 60s through the 70s. I graduated in the 90s and went to school with Joe and AJ.
Graduated in the early 70's. I know the Koontz name but would have to have my memory jogged to dredge up individuals. My home was the one with the moose on the front of the house. Interesting to find another from that school as it is so small. If I knew how to private message I'd send you a note with more personal info. It certainly is a small world.

I was born and raised in Bellefonte, which most people here would know of the town. Population has been 6000 for as long as I can remember going back to the 70's.

All the population growth has been in places like Zion and Pleasant Gap which is outside the borough of Bellefonte but still in the school district.

I live in the Philly burbs now.

Don't assume anything about Millville.....parents have the crappiest internet service (makeshift DSL) ever. I think it is slower than the old Prodigy dialup service. An cell phones, depending on the company, will either work or not.

On an interesting note, many of you might not know that Millville has a pretty strong PSU connection. In Millville there is a company (Girton Manufucturing) that manufacturers stainless steal tanks, pasteurizing equipment, etc. They have provided much to the creamery over the years. If you go into the Creamery, where is sits currently, and check out the plague listing honorees on the wall left of the pickup counter, a number of those individuals are from Millville. In fact, the large ice cream scooper hung on the wall there was manufactured by Girton Manufacturing in Millville. One of the Girton's (Dean) was a member of the Blue Band way back in the day.......somehow his kids made their way to USC and are proud Trojans....??? Not sure what went wrong there. LOL

Reactions: wplion and FHSPSU67
Punxsutawney, Pa .... home of the Groundhog ...population of about 4,000 or so ....aging population, schools closing, few jobs, excessive drug use , etc. Hopefully it changes for the better but I don’t see it ...

Grew up in Hazleton, PA. Population was about 30K then. Now live in Nuangola, PA - population 800. There's a lake here - population increases over the summer, especially on the weekends. Lots of people head to FL in the winter.

Since yinz played there frequently...I'm sure you recall the elevated par 3. It might have been # 6. There was a relatively thin tree on each of the front corners of the tee box. One time my buddy hit the right tree and the ball ricocheted across to the left tree and dropped right in front of his tee. One time...at band camp...

Yes, that was #6.

Graduated in the early 70's. I know the Koontz name but would have to have my memory jogged to dredge up individuals. My home was the one with the moose on the front of the house. Interesting to find another from that school as it is so small. If I knew how to private message I'd send you a note with more personal info. It certainly is a small world.

My mom was Carey Koontz.

Other sisters included Connie, Carol, Joe, Crissie, and Candy.

The house still exists with the moose head on it.

Ken Huntsman was a fairly famous alum as well. He donated a lot for our football field at Northern Bedford. He was also an early 70s guy I believe. Ended up as a co founder of AOL.

Woodlawn is closed now, maybe 4 or 5 years.
Sandy Hill is now Pheasant Ridge, very nice 18 hole course. Sandy Hill was maybe the worst course I ever played.

That's how I knew the name Sandy Hill! I wasn't sure. Off of Rt. 8. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT