ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to the Senior Players at Philly Cricket Club?

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
We're heading out on Saturday. The course restoration looks really nice. Good to see "the most interesting man in golf" will be in the field this week.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I am a member there. Have a great time. Let me know what you think of the course after walking it.

The restoration looks great. They replaced every blade of grass on the course, removed all extraneous trees, added tee boxes at certain holes to increase length, new modern traps, new tee boxes .... and restored the look and feel of the course to Tillinghast's original design. The course is impeccable maintained (as are the other two courses).

I do not believe I will attend. I do not enjoy the tournys. Too crowded. I'd rather play ...

H2P ... Great club. People are nice. Facilities are well maintained. Golf courses are typically in great shape. Other club amenities are great as well.

Reactions: H2P-2007
I am a member there. Have a great time. Let me know what you think of the course after walking it.

The restoration looks great. They replaced every blade of grass on the course, removed all extraneous trees, added tee boxes at certain holes to increase length, new modern traps, new tee boxes .... and restored the look and feel of the course to Tillinghast's original design. The course is impeccable maintained (as are the other two courses).

I do not believe I will attend. I do not enjoy the tournys. Too crowded. I'd rather play ...
Is it true that PCC eliminated their initiation fees in order to grow /sustain membership?

I have another question for you. I found it intriguing that your board name is PSU Chicago, yet you're a member of PCC....Was your father once an AA pilot and were you raised in ChiTown?

If so, we need to assemble the old fraternity crew, highly selective, of course.

H2P, not sure where you are located, but also check out Lookaway Golf Club in Bucks County. A private Rees Jones design with a small membership. No pool, no tennis, 100% golf on a tremendous track that is 17 years young.

Chicago, we are looking forward to Saturday very much. I will certainly report back. We love going to tournaments, the PGA is next on our list.

Is it true that PCC eliminated their initiation fees in order to grow /sustain membership?

I have another question for you. I found it intriguing that your board name is PSU Chicago, yet you're a member of PCC....Was your father once an AA pilot and were you raised in ChiTown?

Circa 2009 they reduced their initiation fee. The fee has subsequently been increased but is still far below what they were in the 2005 range. I never spoke to anyone as to why but I believe you are correct ... it was to grow / sustain membership. Which they have done. I believe we have a wait list for golf now. The club was doing well when they did that re no financial struggles. My view it was a look to the future as the club demographic was aging and needed to be reinvigorated with younger families. The club has a thoughtful leadership.

I grew up in the Phila area. Lived in Chicago when I found this board and picked my board name. I am now living in Phila again.

Circa 2009 they reduced their initiation fee. The fee has subsequently been increased but is still far below what they were in the 2005 range. I never spoke to anyone as to why but I believe you are correct ... it was to grow / sustain membership. Which they have done. I believe we have a wait list for golf now. The club was doing well when they did that re no financial struggles. My view it was a look to the future as the club demographic was aging and needed to be reinvigorated with younger families. The club has a thoughtful leadership.

I grew up in the Phila area. Lived in Chicago when I found this board and picked my board name. I am now living in Phila again.
Thanks. Enjoy great golfing over at Wissahickon...it's a gem.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
PSU Chicago:

Were you a member of a club in Chicagoland? Ever get to play my place (Skokie CC / Glencoe)?

If you get back this way, let me know!

PSU Chicago:

Were you a member of a club in Chicagoland? Ever get to play my place (Skokie CC / Glencoe)?

If you get back this way, let me know!

ILL Lion ... I was not a member anywhere ... I was too busy working. Not that my rounds went up with membership!

H2P, not sure where you are located, but also check out Lookaway Golf Club in Bucks County. A private Rees Jones design with a small membership. No pool, no tennis, 100% golf on a tremendous track that is 17 years young.

Thanks for the suggestion Relayer. I actually know where it is but have never played it. I am in Blue Bell/Montco., so Doylestown is a bit of a hike for me. I'd also like to join a club for business networking purposes - which is why I was looking for full clubs instead of golf only clubs.

Thanks for the suggestion Relayer. I actually know where it is but have never played it. I am in Blue Bell/Montco., so Doylestown is a bit of a hike for me. I'd also like to join a club for business networking purposes - which is why I was looking for full clubs instead of golf only clubs.

Commonwealth is a great course. No pool or tennis courts but nice clubhouse and excellent course. Not sure if that is too far for you as well.

Chicago, that course looked PRISTINE on TV today. Wow! You have to be very proud, not to mention the leader is only 2 under. I hope the weather holds off on Saturday with anticipated storms. I'm thinking they could move up tee times. Just hope the Grey Goose tent will be serving early am Bloody's!

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Chicago, that course looked PRISTINE on TV today. Wow! You have to be very proud, not to mention the leader is only 2 under. I hope the weather holds off on Saturday with anticipated storms. I'm thinking they could move up tee times. Just hope the Grey Goose tent will be serving early am Bloody's!

Heard Tom Watson interviewed on the sports radio 97.5 in philly today. He said course is in excellent condition and the winds made it very tough today. Said they are not even playing the tee's all the way back. (I assume this is true I can't imagine he was joking)

We had a great time today. The course was in perfect condition. The greens were fast and firm. I found it interesting how they re-routed the holes from the normal layout. For example, one could not be farther from the clubhouse starting the back 9.

Some general observations:

I was expecting to see more people attending. Sure the corporate tents were full, but the holes farthest away (5-10) were pretty empty. At times we were the only ones surrounding the 9th green, and this was at 1 in the afternoon. Very easy to get right next to the players, obviously.

Arrived at 9am and left at 4:30 with only two groups left on the course. We got back to the parking lot in Fort Washington and 85-90% of the people using the shuttle were already gone for the day.

Terrific visuals on the course. Could easily see many groups on multiple holes at once. Glad I brought the binoculars. The lack of trees sure helped see more, but shade was hard to find at times. Temps ballooned in the afternoon, but the breezes made it tolerable.

The players were really grinding out there. Didn't see many smiles and little conversation throughout the day. Take Fred Funk, he always has fun out there. Not today, he looked miserable, but a 76 never helps. Saw a lot of Vijay, Jimemez, Sluman, Monty, Funk, Jesper.

16oz beers were $8 (Heineken, Yuengling, Blue Moon). Only Grey Goose tent was corporate, no Bloody's for us.

Did catch Mr Daly this morning. Is that his 5th wife on the bag? I seem to have lost count. He still draws a crowd though. Only Langer's group had a crowd following similar to JD.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
We had a great time today. The course was in perfect condition. The greens were fast and firm. I found it interesting how they re-routed the holes from the normal layout. For example, one could not be farther from the clubhouse starting the back 9.

Some general observations:

I was expecting to see more people attending. Sure the corporate tents were full, but the holes farthest away (5-10) were pretty empty. At times we were the only ones surrounding the 9th green, and this was at 1 in the afternoon. Very easy to get right next to the players, obviously.

Arrived at 9am and left at 4:30 with only two groups left on the course. We got back to the parking lot in Fort Washington and 85-90% of the people using the shuttle were already gone for the day.

Terrific visuals on the course. Could easily see many groups on multiple holes at once. Glad I brought the binoculars. The lack of trees sure helped see more, but shade was hard to find at times. Temps ballooned in the afternoon, but the breezes made it tolerable.

The players were really grinding out there. Didn't see many smiles and little conversation throughout the day. Take Fred Funk, he always has fun out there. Not today, he looked miserable, but a 76 never helps. Saw a lot of Vijay, Jimemez, Sluman, Monty, Funk, Jesper.

16oz beers were $8 (Heineken, Yuengling, Blue Moon). Only Grey Goose tent was corporate, no Bloody's for us.

Did catch Mr Daly this morning. Is that his 5th wife on the bag? I seem to have lost count. He still draws a crowd though. Only Langer's group had a crowd following similar to JD.
Enjoyable review of your day at PCC. It sounded like a perfect day of golf watching..I hate it when there are so many "fans" that you can't even get close to the greens unless you camp out for a couple of hours.

It's weird that at least one board member with "tent privledges" didn't invite you to be their guest, but I guess those types don't visit this board.

When are you and Mrs. off to Cali?

Summer has arrived in Texas and we have 4 weeks of Hades before being able to escape.

No biggie on the Grey Goose. A few Heinekens in the morning, water in the afternoon. It was very warm out there.

Back to TCI in 2 weeks, then Cali at the end of July. I'll wave when we're flying over Telluride.

We're heading out on Saturday. The course restoration looks really nice. Good to see "the most interesting man in golf" will be in the field this week.
Glad you were able to get out. I'm a big Langer fan. This tournament was at Fox Chapel GC for a good while, Langer won it last time it was here in 2014. I was a marshal on 10.

Looking forward to next week - I'm working M-T-Th-Fri. Bad assignment, satellite merch tent instead of on the course, but I have Sat and Sun off for 100% golf.

Are you going up to Baltusrol next month? I'm trying to go for one day, probably Saturday.

PSU_Chicago - You s/b very proud, your course is beautiful. Golfweek has you at #32 of their Traditional (older) courses. Had a chance to play it about 20 years ago, unfortunately got rained out. Play more!

Glad you were able to get out. I'm a big Langer fan. This tournament was at Fox Chapel GC for a good while, Langer won it last time it was here in 2014. I was a marshal on 10.

Looking forward to next week - I'm working M-T-Th-Fri. Bad assignment, satellite merch tent instead of on the course, but I have Sat and Sun off for 100% golf.

Are you going up to Baltusrol next month? I'm trying to go for one day, probably Saturday.

Yes, we are heading to Baltusrol on that Thursday, then flying to Cali on Friday. I would love to take a ride out the Turnpike Thursday for the Open, but that idea looks slim at this point. The nearest hotel availability would be where? Plenty of Tix on Stubhub for Friday.

Yes, we are heading to Baltusrol on that Thursday, then flying to Cali on Friday. I would love to take a ride out the Turnpike Thursday for the Open, but that idea looks slim at this point. The nearest hotel availability would be where? Plenty of Tix on Stubhub for Friday.
You gotta make the trip. It'll be 12 years or so till they rotate to Oakmont again.

The hotels in Pittsburgh and Monroeville are going to be outrageous even if there is availability. My detour suggestion is Greensburg or New Stanton. 45 min away tops. Parking is at Pittsburgh Mills Mall on Route 28 - 10 minutes from Turnpike exit 48 - Allegheny Valley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT