ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone following the potential Russian space station sabotage?

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So, there was a sudden drop in pressure due to an air leak on 8-30. Upon investigation, they found holes that seem to suggest somebody drilled holes in the spacecraft; while on the ground or in flight. Crazy...

Alarming new traces of 'drilling' have been found on a Soyuz spacecraft docked with the International Space Station, Russian sources revealed today.

Moscow had already hinted at possible sabotage over damage found to the Soyuz MS-09 and a major whodunnit investigation is underway.

Officials have claimed the damage to the spacecraft appears to have been caused by a drill, and could have occurred on the ground pre-launch - or while in orbit.

Now a source close to the Russian space agency Roscosmos has admitted the damage was more extensive than previously thought.

So, there was a sudden drop in pressure due to an air leak on 8-30. Upon investigation, they found holes that seem to suggest somebody drilled holes in the spacecraft; while on the ground or in flight. Crazy...

Alarming new traces of 'drilling' have been found on a Soyuz spacecraft docked with the International Space Station, Russian sources revealed today.

Moscow had already hinted at possible sabotage over damage found to the Soyuz MS-09 and a major whodunnit investigation is underway.

Officials have claimed the damage to the spacecraft appears to have been caused by a drill, and could have occurred on the ground pre-launch - or while in orbit.

Now a source close to the Russian space agency Roscosmos has admitted the damage was more extensive than previously thought.

I have to ask: Has anyone seen Jay lately?

I was rather shocked to read that the space station costs $3bln per year.
That's like all the rover missions per year.

LdN

I read Endurance by Scott Kelly’s year on the ISS. I was surprised that there are separate quarters and labs for Russia & USA. The ISS is constantly in danger of a hole being punctured by space debris.

It’s Trump, has to be .

I second this.

I have a feeling the aliens at Roswell would be more handy with a drill. I mean look at the scuff marks around the drill hole... Clearly the work of a novice.

5028AFC300000578-0-Russian_astronaut_Sergei_Prokopyev_showed_the_original_drilled_h-a-9_1536907657668.jpg

Well, looks like we can truly blame the Russians on this one. Which ones however, I don't know.

I second this.

I have a feeling the aliens at Roswell would be more handy with a drill. I mean look at the scuff marks around the drill hole... Clearly the work of a novice.

5028AFC300000578-0-Russian_astronaut_Sergei_Prokopyev_showed_the_original_drilled_h-a-9_1536907657668.jpg
LOL...so true...but if you've been to Russia, you would probably agree that Russian culture is to just "get it done". Their Aeroflot planes, for example, are a threadbare mess but the maintenance of the engines and quality of pilots is pretty darn good. You get aboard one of their airliners and several seats don't work, they are taping off two of the three bathrooms, and the plane stinks. In the meantime, the flight is smooth and done to near perfection. What NEEDS to be done right, is done right. Everything else is just with duck tape and with the end in mind. Also, someone doing this wanted to get in and get it done before being discovered.

LOL...so true...but if you've been to Russia, you would probably agree that Russian culture is to just "get it done". Their Aeroflot planes, for example, are a threadbare mess but the maintenance of the engines and quality of pilots is pretty darn good. You get aboard one of their airliners and several seats don't work, they are taping off two of the three bathrooms, and the plane stinks. In the meantime, the flight is smooth and done to near perfection. What NEEDS to be done right, is done right. Everything else is just with duck tape and with the end in mind. Also, someone doing this wanted to get in and get it done before being discovered.
It has been some time for me, but I lived in the former USSR and was there when it became "Russia". Your description of the internal maintenance is exactly as I remember it (shitty, non-existent). Your description of the flight is completely the opposite of how I remember it.

I remember boarding a flight from Moscow to Ekatinburg after having several drinks and watching a lady put one of her two Great Danes into each of the two lavatories. That is the longest I've ever held back a pi$$ in my life.

While wondering what I was going to do about the Great Dane situation, I looked out the window to see a guy fueling the plane with his left hand while smoking a ciggy with his right!!! I literally could tell Aeroflot stories for a week without ever repeating myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT