ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone fish florida? Do I need a license?

shultz40

Mar 7, 2019
I am going down for a week. I am only goin to fish a few spots that are walking distance like the ocean pier, inter-coastal pier(bay) and maybe a canal that runs into the inter-coastal. I get a lot of conflicting answers on question. We were there last year and everyone gave us a different answer.

I am going to call fish and game before the trip. According to their website the saltwater shoreline license is free for residents. I am not a resident but my parents have a place. I am going to register online and try to get one.

NJ actually requires a saltwater license. It is free so they don't enforce it. Does Florida enforce it? Does the coastal license cover the inter-coastal?

Florida Fish and WildlifeConservation Commission
SearchUse up and down arrows to select available result. Press enter to go to selected search result. Touch devices users can use touch and swipe gestures.
Visitors' Licenses
Who needs licenses and permits when visiting Florida?

Non-residents who are 16 years of age or older are required to have Florida licenses and permits to participate in hunting, freshwater fishing and saltwater fishing.

• Out-of-state fishing and hunting licenses are not valid in Florida.
  • A fishing license is required to attempt to take fish. If you cast a line or catch and release, you need a license.
  • A saltwater fishing license is required to attempt to take any native or nonnative marine organisms, such as crabs, lobsters, and marine plants.
  • Visitors who are listed on the National Saltwater Angler Registry are still required to have a Florida recreational saltwater fishing license unless they are a member of one of the exempted groups listed.
  • Non-residents using beach or haul seines for recreational purposes are required to have a commercial saltwater products license.
New to Florida but haven't switched your residency just yet? Find out more about residency requirements.

Licenses, permits and fees:
Need help choosing the right license and permits? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for help!

Who does not need Florida licenses and permits when visiting?
The following non-residents do not need recreational licenses and permits in Florida:
  • A child under 16 years of age.
A saltwater fishing license and permits are not required if:
* These exceptions do not apply to tarpon tags.

A freshwater fishing license is not required if:
  • You are fishing in a fish pond of 20 acres or less which is located entirely within the private property of its owner. A fish pond is a man-made pond constructed for the primary purpose of fishing, entirely within the property lines of the owner and with no surface water connection to public waters.
  • You are fishing during a free freshwater fishing day.
  • You are fishing in a freshwater fish pond of 20 acres or more, whose owner has purchased a fish pond license at a fee of $3 per surface acre.
  • You are fishing in the St. Mary's River or Lake Seminole (but not including tributary creeks in Florida) and have a valid Georgia fishing license.
A hunting license and permits are not required if:
  • You are hunting for wild hogs on private land.
Non-resident visitors with disabilities do not meet the criteria to receive a no-cost Persons with Disabilities Resident Hunt/Fish license. That license is not a disability accommodation but an economic accommodation for the segment of Florida's disabled population who may not be able to afford to pay for the license.

NJ does enforce the permit. I've seen people checked. As for a Florida, do EVERYTHING by the book. I fish there every year and almost always see people get checked. A few years ago I saw a family picking barnacles off a rock. A boat went by that looked like any of the other 100 boats that went by. Two young guys beached the boat. Turns out that the were wardens. They arrested the family. I asked them later and they said that there was a special license required. The fine was about $750. DON'T risk it.

NJ does enforce the permit. I've seen people checked. As for a Florida, do EVERYTHING by the book. I fish there every year and almost always see people get checked. A few years ago I saw a family picking barnacles off a rock. A boat went by that looked like any of the other 100 boats that went by. Two young guys beached the boat. Turns out that the were wardens. They arrested the family. I asked them later and they said that there was a special license required. The fine was about $750. DON'T risk it.
They were arrested? Like handcuffed?

Yes. I couldn’t believe it. I guess they don’t give warnings. I thought it was ridiculous but I didn’t have a say. I felt bad for them. They had about a sand bucket of them.

Yes. I couldn’t believe it. I guess they don’t give warnings. I thought it was ridiculous but I didn’t have a say. I felt bad for them.

They don't mess around. I've heard this from several sources. If they find illegal game they just impound your car... and anything else you used to hunt/fish.

LdN

Yes. I couldn’t believe it. I guess they don’t give warnings. I thought it was ridiculous but I didn’t have a say. I felt bad for them. They had about a sand bucket of them.
Holy crap, ridiculous is right.

I’m a fisherman myself and care about conservation but that’s way over the top.

Reactions: ralphster
As a frequent boater in Florida I have had a few interactions with both the Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife:

Coast Guard = always polite, professional, helpful

Florida Fish and Wildlife = mostly douche nozzles who couldn't get in the Coast Guard or become real cops

As a frequent boater in Florida I have had a few interactions with both the Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife:

Florida Fish and Wildlife = mostly douche nozzles who couldn't get in the Coast Guard or become real cops
True....going out in the am. Got my saltwater license and fish ruler

Living in south florida and often out for lobster fishing with a tickle stick as well as spear fishing I have come across the CG and FFW several times. CG is always polite. Most FFW as well as County Sheriff's in boats are courteous there are a few however that have a chip on their shoulder. So yes do everything by the book and you will have zero problems. Down here you have numerous people who either don't have a license or are poaching especially out in the everglades. So I can see how they do get frustrated at times. I see people doing illegal things often out in the everglades. Have to admit it kind of pisses me off when I am a conservationist and do things by the book and you see people blatantly breaking the law. Then give them attitude when they are approached and told they are breaking the law. I try to give them a little slack.

I am going down for a week. I am only goin to fish a few spots that are walking distance like the ocean pier, inter-coastal pier(bay) and maybe a canal that runs into the inter-coastal. I get a lot of conflicting answers on question. We were there last year and everyone gave us a different answer.

I am going to call fish and game before the trip. According to their website the saltwater shoreline license is free for residents. I am not a resident but my parents have a place. I am going to register online and try to get one.

NJ actually requires a saltwater license. It is free so they don't enforce it. Does Florida enforce it? Does the coastal license cover the inter-coastal?
Florida resident and fisherman.
As a non-resident, yes, you will need a license. Saltwater angler. It is free to fish saltwater from land for residents only. If the pier you fish from has a license (most don't) you can fish there without one.
Yes, they do enforce it, vigorously. Like someone mentioned above (and its true for PA as well) the FWC guys can be kinda aholes. The running joke down here is "What's the one thing you'll never hear from an FWC officer?.... "Here's a warning for you sir""

Reactions: ftlpsu
I hate you. I've not managed to land a wahoo yet in three years of offshore fishing:mad:
Lost a monster last year.

One of these days

8MPH 700 FT off LHP....Rapala Xrap40 60 feet off port flat line...

alsA1M7.jpg

Reactions: PSU87
8MPH 700 FT off LHP....Rapala Xrap40 60 feet off port flat line...

alsA1M7.jpg
LHP....Lighthouse Point?

Yeah....up here in Brevard county I'm 40 miles out to get to 700 feet. Its pretty rare I get deeper than 400.
I did talk to a local Captain though....he catches them in as little as 80 feet.

Maybe a veteran wahoo slayer would show a fellow Penn Stater the ropes one day:rolleyes:

LHP....Lighthouse Point?

Yeah....up here in Brevard county I'm 40 miles out to get to 700 feet. Its pretty rare I get deeper than 400.
I did talk to a local Captain though....he catches them in as little as 80 feet.

Maybe a veteran wahoo slayer would show a fellow Penn Stater the ropes one day:rolleyes:
U come down to the 954--I will take you out anytime!

Reactions: PSU87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT