ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever ran into CJF in SC/my encounter today with a well known CFB person.

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
Has anyone ever ran into CJF in public?
I live in the south, and I just had a conversation someone in the CFB world who is very well known. I work in medical, so I can not shed any other information, as it would be a major HIPAA violation.
Anyhow, in talking to this person, I flat out asked them if they thought College Football would have a season, this fall.
After this person got done laughing, they answered “no way”.
This person was quite courteous.
Anyhow, just wanted to share this with the board.
FWIW, I’m on the “there’s no way we’re having a season” train.

Last edited:
I live in the south, and I just had a conversation someone in the CFB world who is very well known. I work in medical, so I can not shed any other information, as it would be a major HIPPA violation.
Anyhow, in talking to this person, I flat out asked them if they thought College Football would have a season, this fall.

There was someone here taking bets about this - get in while the gettin' is good...

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Yes. I have seen coach Franklin at Champs on Atherton eating lunch with his girls. This was I think two seasons ago. It was a Sunday and I was there watching the 1:00 NFL games with friends.

I live in the south, and I just had a conversation someone in the CFB world who is very well known. I work in medical, so I can not shed any other information, as it would be a major HIPPA violation.
me? I think the NFL plays
I think HS football plays
No way college plays.

BTW, saying you met someone famously including divulging the name is not a HIPPA violation. If you said you met them at the hospital you worked at then you are getting close, but the person could still be there for something other than his health.

Reactions: AvgUser and bison13
I've seen him in Wegman's (alone) and the Waffle Shop (with one of his daughters), as well as the Hub a few times.

I’m guessing we may have PIAA, college sports by spring. Pro sports will be determined by the owners and unions.

You may see some PIAA sports played in the fall...Cross Country and Golf. Soccer and Field Hockey maybe, Football doubt it. I have been told PIAA is making decisions sport by sport, will not do a blanket cancellation like the spring unless forced to

You may see some PIAA sports played in the fall...Cross Country and Golf. Soccer and Field Hockey maybe, Football doubt it. I have been told PIAA is making decisions sport by sport, will not do a blanket cancellation like the spring unless forced to

You can bet the PIAA is hoping the Governor makes the call. The PIAA brass doesn’t like to make tough decisions. Much prefer to say “Our hands are tied.”

I’ve run into him several times in downtown SC.....he doesn’t exactly try to hide!

Yup, at the Dunkin on N. Atherton the Sunday morning after the Maryland game in November 2018. He was picking out a dozen donuts with his girls and I was behind him. As he turned to leave, I just said nice game last night Coach. It was just nice seeing him do "normal" things as a dad.

Reactions: green2623
So what was Mark Emmert being treated for? Rumors have it is that he is dealing with a untreatable case of painful syphilis (Hilter/Lenin quality). But that is only what I heard. Karma certainly has kept this idiot alive way too long.

Reactions: psu7113

what capacity are they in the cfb world?Big five Head Coach, broadcaster, Former player?

BTW, saying you met someone famously including divulging the name is not a HIPPA violation. If you said you met them at the hospital you worked at then you are getting close, but the person could still be there for something other than his health.

True. There’s no problem saying I ran into Dabo or Herbstreit (or whoever) and they said they didn’t think there would be a football season this year.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

I think you’re right. My guess is they allow golf and cross country. If college football cancels I think the PIAA cancels quickly after. I don’t think they’ll play if the colleges aren’t playing.

I think at the end of the day you'll see all or nothing due to title 9.

Since you are in “medical,” please learn how to spell HIPAA, and what it protects.

Reactions: lionroar88
I see Franklin walking in downtown a lot. Used to see him walking briskly with other coaches often. Recently I saw him riding a bike on College ave. He loves the area and especially dwntwn SC.

It’s not a HIPAA violation to discuss what a media personality thinks will happen with this year’s college football season. It is a HIPAA violation posting on a website about a golf legend and his wife’s medical diagnosis if they haven’t shared that information with the public.

For example, Adam Shefter and ESPN had to pay a fine (as well as the hospital where it occurred) after Jason Pierre Paul blew off his finger with fireworks a few years ago.

We saw him a few years back at Happy Valley Brewing. I didn't recognize who he was with. Someone said the other guy was the baseball coach. He took pictures everyone of our group that asked. Of course we only asked before he ate then a couple more after he was done.

I live in the south, and I just had a conversation someone in the CFB world who is very well known. I work in medical, so I can not shed any other information, as it would be a major HIPAA violation.
PSU-OSU 2016, post-game celebrating at Whiskers at the NLInn. I hit the bathroom. When I get back, my friends say, you just missed Franklin! Of course, I call bu!!$h!t. Then out come the cameras -- sure enough, CJF had cruised through and stopped long enough for a high five & a pic.
So in short, my answer is no, never met the guy.

I was standing near Franklin at the letterman's club tribute to Joe in 2016, a night when Mike Reid performed two songs. The first, "Think of Me," Reid had written especially for the occasion in homage to Joe. The second, "Stranger in My House," might as well had been written for Franklin. There was a noon game the next day, so Franklin didn't stay long. But from my POV, he didn't mix much with the crowd, nor the crowd with him. Although, I know a couple of the guys gave him a hard time about losing to Pitt the week before.

Not long after he was hired, some friends and I were in Home Delivery having a bite, when he walked in with all his coaches. He walked by and I said welcome to Penn State. He came over to our table and introduced himself individually to each person. Talked with us for a few minutes and then rejoined his staff. He just seems very genuine to me and enjoys interaction with people.

Saw him the night before a game at the Penn Stater a couple of years ago. My wife and I had our picture taken with him. He was down chasing Paris (can't remember last name).

There was someone here taking bets about this - get in while the gettin' is good...

I’ll take that bet ( no season) and raise you.
There is no way the big money sports are walking away from the pot of gold.

Not long after he was hired, some friends and I were in Home Delivery having a bite, when he walked in with all his coaches. He walked by and I said welcome to Penn State. He came over to our table and introduced himself individually to each person. Talked with us for a few minutes and then rejoined his staff. He just seems very genuine to me and enjoys interaction with people.

I can’t imagine how hard it is being a very public person, small town or not, and being able to have a private life.
And money be .......... All of us, to one degree or another, need private time.

The smart choice is no FB this Fall... unless something major happens with the vaccine trials. But with how much money is in play... my bet is it happens.

I’ll take that bet ( no season) and raise you.
There is no way the big money sports are walking away from the pot of gold.

I already have a bet with him, but mine was season starts - doesn't finish. College sports aren't pro sports - many more considerations (for players and schools).

I can’t imagine how hard it is being a very public person, small town or not, and being able to have a private life.
And money be .......... All of us, to one degree or another, need private time.
I'm sure the lack of privacy gets old for him and family. Case in point, January of this year (about 3 weeks after the Cotton Bowl), I was sitting in Chicago's O'Hare airport waiting for my connecting flight from Chicago back to State College. Across from me sat Franklin's wife and two daughters. When it was time to board (Franklin's family was first to board) Coach appeared from nowhere and joined his family and they walked right onto the plane. As I got on the plane, I saw Coach and his family sitting in the last 4 seats on the plane. I could see his 3 family members clearly, and only the back of his bald head. (Had his face down and appeared to be hiding behind the seat while everyone boarded.) When we landed in State College, Coach almost on a sprint from the plane was thru the lobby and out the door to retrieve their vehicle, while his wife and two daughters waited to get their luggage to take out. Would have to give Coach props for maintaining his privacy while with family.

They'll be no football and the nation will survive both from that and da' CARONA, which I predict will magically disappear the day after the November election, regardless of who wins.

They'll be no football and the nation will survive both from that and da' CARONA, which I predict will magically disappear the day after the November election, regardless of who wins.
I'll write that down, so I can remind you in December

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT