ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever done any meat smoking in the overnight RV lot?...

Well you could run an electric one off a Honda generator. You could run a propane one. What is portable enough to have it make sense?
Or use a treager pellet smoker. And run the electric part off an inverter. Everybody in the parking lot will hate you though, the smell will be so great!!
www.traegergrills.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Sullivan
021da33cb5ee3eb840939c44cb30aa4f.jpg

Found this, but it seems to be sold out everywhere:

bradley_smoker.jpg
I have a normal electric Digital Bradley smoker. It works really well.
I would think propane would be great for tailgating.
RIbs take about 6 hours.
Pork shoulder 15-24 hrs.

edited to add ,,,
Bradley discontinued that propane smoker. Not sure the reason - either poor quality or low demand I guess

Reactions: MtNittany
I'm sorry but we are approaching AustinNit territory here with this headline. Sorry, MtNittany, you are a stand up dude, but this headline is ridiculous.
I was A) looking for honest advice re: portable smokers in the RV lot and B) hoping SG or SPM would chime in.

Well you could run an electric one off a Honda generator. You could run a propane one. What is portable enough to have it make sense?
Do they still enforce the 11 pm no generator rule of you would be smoking overnight?

I was A) looking for honest advice re: portable smokers in the RV lot and B) hoping SG or SPM would chime in.
What was wrong with what I told you?? Plus you don't need a genny so no worries if there is a noise ordinance

I made an "Ugly Drum Smoker" UDS that I use frequently. It uses charcoal as the source, I've never had a problem with security as the fire is inside the drum and nobody really knows what I'm doing. It works great.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Ugly-Drum-Smoker-UDS/

I have this fan unit to control temperature. It only needs a little electric and i just run it off an inverter.
https://pitmasteriq.com/collections/automatic-temperature-control/products/iq110

I literally start in when I get there Friday night and go to bed. When I get up in the morning it is good to go!

Reactions: MtNittany
RIbs take about 6 hours.
Pork shoulder 15-24 hrs.

I do Pork Shoulders in 8 -10 hours at 275. Internal temperature of 197 is the ticket!

Another folding one that is out of production. WTF? Was there a rash of portable smoking deaths a few years ago that I missed?

91dmiiQvizL._SL1500_.jpg

The Weber smokey mountain doesn't fold but it breaks down into 3 sections and uses charcoal. Meats turn out fantastic.

You know, if you have a large enough portable grill you can just use that. Low, indirect heat and wood chips will do the trick. Soak wood chips in water, put in aluminum foil with holes, and put next to meat on grill. Meat should be raised in a pan to collect juices. Change out the wood chips once or twice and you're set. Meat can only absorb so much smoke, past a certain point and it just doesn't matter. I've even known some people to bring a full size grill to tailgating. Heat up grill, put wood chips on, when it starts to smoke put meat on and lower to its lowest setting. Maybe even turn off under meat if possible. How much meat do you plan on cooking?

Needs to be able to be checked on SWA or easily shipped to PA. We'll probably be in on Thursday so we'd use it more than once. Butts, maybe a chicken or two, some snausages.

I found a box - even navy blue. Wonder if I could modify it.

5182ElkA9vL._SL1083_.jpg

Last edited:
Found one, but it's electric. This is the same model as the replacement box I posted above. $150

camerons-products-smoke-n-fold-aluminum-or-stainless-steel.jpg

Folds flat like thus:

146185i_ts.jpg

Needs to be able to be checked on SWA or easily shipped to PA. We'll probably be in on Thursday so we'd use it more than once. Butts, maybe a chicken or two, some snausages.

I found a box - even navy blue. Wonder if I could modify it.

5182ElkA9vL._SL1083_.jpg
A couple questions

1) Do you need it to be permanently foldable such that you can re-ship it up to PSU on repeated occasions?

2) do you have a source for a 20# propane tank near State College?

Yes and yes. Every time I supply expensive tailgate equipment, it ends up at my parents or friends houses in MD, PA, etc.

We have a nice full sized skillet, but it's in PA. 2 Weber Q's - in PA.

I like the fold-able option for the house as well. Real close to the beach, but only maybe a 500 s.f. patio w/ a full sized grill, putting green, and a bunch of other crap already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT