ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watch JP Jr with his first pick in Black & Gold?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
His lack of picks seemed to be what pushed him into the 2nd round. Great to see him get one in his first pre-season action.

Almost as good as seeing him hand the ball to his pappy.

I'm going to miss JP Jr. in Blue & White. Especially since it brought his old man to the stands and the cameras usually put Sr on during the broadcast. JP Senior was the kind of player you loved if he was on your team and hated if he was stirring $hit and making plays against your team. I didn't attend any away PSU games the last few years, but if I did I would have wanted to sit near JP Senior. It would have been entertainment and no opposing fans would come near him to trash talk PSU!!

His lack of picks seemed to be what pushed him into the 2nd round. Great to see him get one in his first pre-season action.

Almost as good as seeing him hand the ball to his pappy.

I'm going to miss JP Jr. in Blue & White. Especially since it brought his old man to the stands and the cameras usually put Sr on during the broadcast. JP Senior was the kind of player you loved if he was on your team and hated if he was stirring $hit and making plays against your team. I didn't attend any away PSU games the last few years, but if I did I would have wanted to sit near JP Senior. It would have been entertainment and no opposing fans would come near him to trash talk PSU!!
The Steelers have looked very good this preseason; they had a great off-season. If Pickett continues to develop, they could win upwards of 11 games this season; he just looks like he’s improved so much, and obviously has great intangibles. In general, this team now has really good depth at all levels on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The Steelers have looked very good this preseason; they had a great off-season. If Pickett continues to develop, they could win upwards of 11 games this season; he just looks like he’s improved so much, and obviously has great intangibles. In general, this team now has really good depth at all levels on both sides of the ball.
Pickett just can't make big mistakes and they should be fine. Najee is going to need to break some long runs or Warren is going to be pushing him for playing time. It was encouraging to see them actually attack the middle of the field deep with Freiermuth. The opener against the Niners will tell us a lot.

Nice pick by JPJ, teammates were really happy for him too. Seems like he’s fit right in with the team. I expect Pickett to have a great year as well, he played great down the stretch, I think we won 6 of 7, only loss was when he was knocked out early, and Trouble-inski came in to throw a couple picks in the red zone that cost us the game. Pickett only had one pick going down the home stretch, if Canada would have adjusted his play calling earlier in season for Pickett, I don’t think he would have had as many picks. My Prediction is 12-5 or better for the season as long as Pickett doesn’t get hurt. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt
There are a lot of positives with the Steelers and Omar Khan had an excellent offseason. The negative is still the OC, Matt Canada. He runs a high school offense with very little scheming to get receivers open and seldom uses the middle of the field. His playcalling is horrible. He throws very short on 3rd and long and runs low % fly patterns on 3rd and short.

The pick itself wasn’t all that much. It was a poorly thrown ball to a receiver that was double covered. Shouldn’t even have been thrown.

What was most impressive was how the team reacted to it……they were ecstatic! The team really likes this guy and is cheering for him. Good to see.
He had nice coverage on the play though. He was physical with the receiver at the LOS. Horrible Horrible pass but he caught it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT