ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else see the potential for Juwanson to build himself into a megatron-like WR?

itsofficial101

Oct 11, 2017
I just see a kid on the cusp of becoming a physically dominant manchild out there. Another off-season in the weight room and working his craft with the laser focus he has had in development so far and I think he could just physically overwhelm defenders next year like we haven't witnessed in State College.

Take nothing away from Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, all the way back to Bobby Engram, but I don't see another PSU receiver with the physical potential just starting to be realized that Juwanson possesses. Add in some other young WRs we seem to be high on (the fast, jitterbug type) and Thomkins, Polk, etc, and defenses won't be able to simple double Juwan all the time.

I just see a kid on the cusp of becoming a physically dominant manchild out there. Another off-season in the weight room and working his craft with the laser focus he has had in development so far and I think he could just physically overwhelm defenders next year like we haven't witnessed in State College.

Take nothing away from Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, all the way back to Bobby Engram, but I don't see another PSU receiver with the physical potential just starting to be realized that Juwanson possesses. Add in some other young WRs we seem to be high on (the fast, jitterbug type) and Thomkins, Polk, etc, and defenses won't be able to simple double Juwan all the time.
Yep...have the same feeling about Juwan. Next year he could be a real monster.

Reactions: BBrown
I think Juwan has a chance to be an all American level receiver at PSU. But in terms of physical ability, I think Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss are in a class of their own. Calvin ran a 4.35 at the combine while 6'5" 239 pounds.

Not to knock on him, but I don't think Juwan has that kind of speed.

The stats indicate that the answer is "No" to this point.

178 2927 16.4 28
44 642 14.6 1

I think Juwan has a chance to be an all American level receiver at PSU. But in terms of physical ability, I think Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss are in a class of their own. Calvin ran a 4.35 at the combine while 6'5" 239 pounds.

Not to knock on him, but I don't think Juwan has that kind of speed.

Funny that you mention Randy Moss. After he came on the scene, almost every tall WR prospect was considered to be in the same mold. Anyone remember Johnny Morant or Ronnie Rodamer?

He's not an Alan Robinson/Godwin kind of player. He has a different kind of athleticism. But in his own way yes he is becoming a dominant college player.

With Gesicki and Hamilton gone after this season, he'll be all set to have a monster season in 2018.

What I like about Johnson is that you see consistent effort and focus on every play. Because he is consistent, he is going to make the play in big moments like he did at Iowa.

He's fully committed -- you can see it -- and that commitment means he will continue to improve. He's already too much for second tier B1G secondaries -- if he improves another notch, he will be too much for everybody next year.

I think he will be a great wr but probably won’t be on level of some greats (Robinson, Engram) PSU had
Hope I’m wrong

Yes, sure, a guy who has played solid, dependable football thus far in his career will all of a sudden become the most dominant WR in football. It could happen... Not that I'm hating on Johnson, but you are setting the bar way too high.

How about compare him against one of Penn State's recent stud receivers? He may have the physical tools (height, speed) to be as good as Godwin or Robinson but it seems that he may be lacking some intangiable that the other two had... or maybe he just wan't the number one option with Hamilton and Gesicki out there.

I agree he doesn't have the flat speed to be a deep threat. Having said that, he hasn't even begun to learn how to use his body to outmuscle a 5-10 DB. He is getting better at running routes (key in gaining the confidence of the QB to throw it as you are making your break) and finding the open areas.

I feel like he didn't come to PSU with a ton of WR experience or polish. He's just beginning to get that game day experience and understand how good he can be.

Where he is great is yards after catch. He looks like a TE out there. He is big, has great hands, and has an awesome catch radius.

I am not sure he'll be megatron as the skill set is somewhat different, but he can certainly be an AA.

You caught the announcer getting tongue-tied Saturday also I see.
My son and I chuckled when he struggled saying Juwan Johnson, and it eventually came out Juwanson. Thought then it might stick with him. Or, maybe it has been used before and this is the first my son and I have heard it. Either way, I like it.

OL

I like it too. Juwanson...translation is...Beast.

FWIW, regarding the receivers, a guy who gets very little mention (in fairness, its not like he had a ton of snaps) but who got the most out of his ability and opportunities this year:

Brandon Polk

He is a 100% effort guy on every snap, and - despite probably being the smallest guy on the field - is a very effective blocker, a threat in the pass game - who runs clean routes and catches the balls he should catch.
I expect he will get a long look as the guy who "replaces Hamilton" next year. Despite not having the pure physical gifts of some other guys on the roster.

I'm not as "high" on Polk as you. I just haven't seen him do much.
This will be a very important off season for both Polk and Charles (whatever his situation is). We have some younger guys in Hammler and Hippenhammer that are getting rave reviews, so much so that they almost pulled the RS off of Hammler. Not to mention the incoming Shorter.

Funny that you mention Randy Moss. After he came on the scene, almost every tall WR prospect was considered to be in the same mold. Anyone remember Johnny Morant or Ronnie Rodamer?

Fred Rouse?

I'm not as "high" on Polk as you. I just haven't seen him do much.
This will be a very important off season for both Polk and Charles (whatever his situation is). We have some younger guys in Hammler and Hippenhammer that are getting rave reviews, so much so that they almost pulled the RS off of Hammler. Not to mention the incoming Shorter.

I agree...but Polk will make defenses respect the deep route with his speed. And, that will clear out some underneath stuff. But we've got some other kids that may emerge like Hippenhammer, Darien and Thompkins (but I see him taking over for Hamilton in the slot).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT