ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else not use or belong to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace? Is this site considered social media?

I like Twitter...you can subscribe to people and outlets you want to monitor and keep abreast of breaking news. If they piss you off you simply quit following them. You just can't get caught up in the twitter-fights.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Bob78
I'm watching 'The Social Dilemma' right now. This is still social media you can get sucked into but the main difference is there is no team of engineers working to addict you and manipulate your behavior (or that of middle school aged kids for that matter)

I like Twitter...you can subscribe to people and outlets you want to monitor and keep abreast of breaking news. If they piss you off you simply quit following them. You just can't get caught up in the twitter-fights.

As I have said many times, Spice Adams (and his many characters) alone is worth subscribing to Twitter. Lots of fun and laughs.

I'm watching 'The Social Dilemma' right now. This is still social media you can get sucked into but the main difference is there is no team of engineers working to addict you and manipulate your behavior (or that of middle school aged kids for that matter)
Wife and I watched it with our 14YO daughter last night. She rolled her eyes the whole time. It's pretty scary.

Yes, this is a social media too. Why are you so afraid of logging in into a social media network. I understand that everyone is obsessed now with all this stuff and wants to keep distance from all this stuff, but this is a part of our life and everyone should have been accepted it already. I have all these accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and I am ok with it. I don’t spend hours on checking what is new, or anything else. You may just buy Instagram followers, real ones, and you will see how you may become popular over night, like I did.

Last edited:
Facebook is crap, but Instagram and Twitter are good social media networks.

Yes, this BWI website is considered social media. While there are a number of good posters on this site, there are a number of crap/POS posters on this site too and they are the ones who typically derail the conversations/commentary/information sharing on this site.

Just watched, Makes me want to get off the grid but how do you do this?

I don't do other social media platforms and have not really considered this site as "social media" but maybe it is. Granted, nobody signs up under their real name or routinely posts personal information here but I suppose that they could. Conversely, there's nothing in other social media platforms (as far as I know but again, I don't really know) that says that any names and information provided to them are legitimate either. All we do here is give information and opinions to other "members" so I suppose that it is really no different. So, I guess that I really am on social media here - hey look at me! Now, can you be my friends?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I have seen members of my wife's family go on these social networks and "spill their guts" about every problem and incident that happens and I find it abhorrent that people would open themselves to the world like that. Just like Vegas, my wife and I decided that what happens in our life, stays in our life. I may say some things that happen to me but I won't tell the world everything.

I have seen members of my wife's family go on these social networks and "spill their guts" about every problem and incident that happens and I find it abhorrent that people would open themselves to the world like that. Just like Vegas, my wife and I decided that what happens in our life, stays in our life. I may say some things that happen to me but I won't tell the world everything.

Other than this site, I don't use social media. I tried Twitter for about 3 months, just prior to the last national election and that was enough to end my social media experiment.

I agree that people share too many things on social media- even mundane things. Whenever I am behind someone at a traffic light, and it turns green and I see them more focused on their phone, than preparing to go, I am screaming in my car "Facebook doesn't care that you are at a traffic light!".

Facebook - This is only good where you belong to a Group or Groups (much like this site), where there can be some monitoring going on and specified or implied rules for posting. Otherwise, I've found too many getting into pissing contests, including family members and people constantly posting stuff either stupid or wrong. Examples of Groups: Reunion page for my high school classmates only, a site related to the good ole days of growing up in McKeesport, a genealogy page for my mother's side of the family and one for my dad's side.
Twitter - have belonged to it and use it primarily for getting news by following people or org's that I prefer. Have seen complaints that certain viewpoints/opinion are being censored and people banned and, as a result, another platform called "Parler" has been gaining traction as an alternate to Twitter. It has a long way to go however.

Facebook - This is only good where you belong to a Group or Groups (much like this site), where there can be some monitoring going on and specified or implied rules for posting. Otherwise, I've found too many getting into pissing contests, including family members and people constantly posting stuff either stupid or wrong. Examples of Groups: Reunion page for my high school classmates only, a site related to the good ole days of growing up in McKeesport, a genealogy page for my mother's side of the family and one for my dad's side.
Twitter - have belonged to it and use it primarily for getting news by following people or org's that I prefer. Have seen complaints that certain viewpoints/opinion are being censored and people banned and, as a result, another platform called "Parler" has been gaining traction as an alternate to Twitter. It has a long way to go however.

I agree with you here. I recently weeded out a ton of Facebook "friends" whose content just bores the f out of me. I do like my Dodger Charger car groups though. The groups are moderated and there is useful info in there that solves problems.

Facebook is often used to do background checks for employment or trails (divorce or whatever). I use twitter but almost never post or "like" anything. I've used Instagram to share vacation photos with family members but nothing else. If you use social media for personal use, I suggest using an account where you are anonymous. You can also have a business account but stay very careful NOT to post anything controversial.

LinkedIn is another social media outlet that is often mined for several reasons. I use a LinkedIn account and get bombarded with connection requests from salespeople.

Yes this is definitely social media because if you dont subscribe to the leftwing ideologies you will be banned

Not taking a stand on it as good or bad, but I deactivated my Facebook account a little more than a year ago. I was wasting a lot of time on it, and it only made me angry/sad. I've been a much happier person in general since shutting it down. But hey, if it makes others happy, doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Can we please get rid of this obvious bot?
Ha! You must have seen his promotion of the betting Gods the other day.

Lock of the week!
vegas-dave-alwayz-therro.png

The only one I use is Facebook so I can have access to my daughters’ pages. My one daughter doesn’t post on her page anymore because of her high security clearance. The rest of the sites I don’t belong to or use. I participate on two message boards, down from maybe 5 at most over the years. My internet footprint is not large.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT