ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else expecting to see one of the true freshman DE's play this year?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
With Buchholz out and Brown also out with no return time table the rotation will need another player to get by the nicks that occur every season.

Will Tarburton or Oweh get the call to not redshirt.....?
(Or will they play within the new redshirt rules)

Last edited:
With Buchholz out and Brown also out with no return time table the rotation will need another player to get by the nicks that occur every season.

Tarburton or Oweh......
Lots of buzz about the true fresh team being 'game ready'. Oweh looks like the real deal. He is an incredible athlete but advertised as "raw and inexperienced". Right now, looks like starters are Miller and Simmons. Rotating in are Toney and Gross-Matos. Can't forget Daniel Joseph. Also, will Torrence Brown be back and if so, when? I wouldn't be shocked to see a Culpepper slide over from DT to DE for a season as he grows into a DT body in the coming seasons.

Of course they will play this year. In fact if the staff does it right, they can cover 8 games in terms of depth and not burn their shirts. I imagine what will happen is both may get some time early on and if one or both show they can handle it....they may play more than the 4 games with the new shirt rule this year.

Of course they will play this year. In fact if the staff does it right, they can cover 8 games in terms of depth and not burn their shirts. I imagine what will happen is both may get some time early on and if one or both show they can handle it....they may play more than the 4 games with the new shirt rule this year.

I hadn't really thought of that but it makes sense. I wonder if the staff is thinking the same way? If there are multiple Fr at a particular position, let them play in different games to maximize their playing time in each game. I guess it depends on how the game plays out but, sounds like a good strategy going into the game.

Reactions: BBrown
I hadn't really thought of that but it makes sense. I wonder if the staff is thinking the same way? If there are multiple Fr at a particular position, let them play in different games to maximize their playing time in each game. I guess it depends on how the game plays out but, sounds like a good strategy going into the game.
It always sounds good on paper, but one or two injuries and they are the next man up whether or not they are ready for it. That is one thing the limited roster forces is some teams have to play kids earlier than they really want to. I love the 4 game rule because if you have a healthy roster, you can add decent depth, but also get kids real PT and development. It's beneficial to the coaches and the players. Some kids simply are at least a year away, but the way he is recruiting...a ton of kids will play at least 3-4 games this year IMO outside of the OL and QB. Shorter, Luketa, Parsons, Slade, Dotson, Mustipher, both DE's, Judge C.....etc...all of the DB's could see time on special teams and possibly some game time. It's a whole new ball tame this year. It will be interesting to see how they do spread it out.

Reactions: BBrown
Lots of buzz about the true fresh team being 'game ready'. Oweh looks like the real deal. He is an incredible athlete but advertised as "raw and inexperienced". Right now, looks like starters are Miller and Simmons. Rotating in are Toney and Gross-Matos. Can't forget Daniel Joseph. Also, will Torrence Brown be back and if so, when? I wouldn't be shocked to see a Culpepper slide over from DT to DE for a season as he grows into a DT body in the coming seasons.

I will be surprised if Cullpepper plays 2 positions, as it is hard enough for true freshman to master the responsibilities of one position. He has reported been practicing as a DT. Rather, if DE depth is needed and DT depth develops we may see Givens, who is proficient at both positions, slide outside on occasion

Last edited:

JF spoke about it at media day. He indicated that in all likelihood some of the freshmen will play in 2 of the OOC games early in the season, so the coaches could evaluate the talent. Depending upon need and circumstance, they might play the rest of the season or continue to RS and play in other regular season games or the bowl game.

A limit on the number of players that can travel for road games is also a factor in having the guys play in some of the home OOC games.

Reactions: LionJim
I will be surprised if Cullpepper plays 2 positions, as it is hard enough for true freshman to master the responsibilities of one position. Rather, if DE depth is needed and DT depth develops we may see Givens, who is proficient at both positions, slide outside on occasion
Agree....but its been done before. Also may depend on game situations. If we need a stronger edge and less speed rush I can see a DT slide over. But we are also a little thin at DT so.....a lot depends on how the season progresses, injury status, game situations, maturity etc.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Despite his inexperience, I doubt seriously if Oweh is a 5-year player, and he may not be a 4-year player; the pros salivate over outside rushers who have excellent speed, and Oweh supposedly has gone under 4.5 in 40 yard timing at pre-season camp (Shareef Miller mentioned it).

Just my hunch, but I think he plays more than 4 games.

Could we see Givens slide over to the DE position? He did it last year when we needed someone there to support the run game. For that to happen I would think the young DT would have to show that they are ready to play

Agree....but its been done before. Also may depend on game situations. If we need a stronger edge and less speed rush I can see a DT slide over. But we are also a little thin at DT so.....a lot depends on how the season progresses, injury status, game situations, maturity etc.

Yep, a lot depends on how Shelton, Hansard, Jordan, Mustopher and Cullpepper are developing, but the little I have seen reported has been positive....

Something to watch in first few games...

Reactions: Obliviax
Could we see Givens slide over to the DE position? He did it last year when we needed someone there to support the run game. For that to happen I would think the young DT would have to show that they are ready to play
Just my opinion, but I think Givens stays at DT, where he is VERY valuable, and that there will be sufficient talent (some young and initially inexperienced) at DE.

Despite his inexperience, I doubt seriously if Oweh is a 5-year player, and he may not be a 4-year player; the pros salivate over outside rushers who have excellent speed, and Oweh supposedly has gone under 4.5 in 40 yard timing at pre-season camp (Shareef Miller mentioned it).

Just my hunch, but I think he plays more than 4 games.
Exactly. There’s no sense redshirting a player if you don’t think he’ll be here as a redshirt senior. I think Oweh’s going to play no matter what.

I do like the idea of Givens bumping out against run heavy teams on run downs - especially if some of the younger DTs are impressing.

Yep, that is a given. I was referring to getting in the every game rotation and not redshirting....

Interesting discussion today on Keystone Network with Ross Tucker, talking about this very topic. Jaylen Hurst, previously the starting QB at Bama before Tua went off in the championship game, is going to graduate in the spring. If Saban suits him up 4 staggered games, say 1st, 9th, SEC Championship game and National Championship game (if they make it that far), he could still use his redshirt year, and graduate transfer year, transfer to another school and still have 2 years of eligibility left.

That way, they have the insurance of a talented, experienced QB as backup in case of a Tua injury, and allows him more developmental time to progress his passing game. Of course Saban would have to sign off on this.

Not sure the NCAA thought about this type of scenario when they made the new rule. But with the clown faced, sanctimonious bullshitter who is at the helm, its not shocking.

Exactly. There’s no sense redshirting a player if you don’t think he’ll be here as a redshirt senior. I think Oweh’s going to play no matter what.

I do like the idea of Givens bumping out against run heavy teams on run downs - especially if some of the younger DTs are impressing.
The current DE guys worry you a bit because of size, experience, or a little of both?

The current DE guys worry you a bit because of size, experience, or a little of both?
No, I’m honestly pretty bullish on the current crop of DEs even after the news about Buchholz. I really, really like what Miller, Gross-Matos, Simmons and Toney can bring to the table, and think they’re all capable of having all-conference caliber seasons.

I’m just intrigued by a situational defensive front of Givens, Windsor, Shelton (or Mustipher), and Miller against, in particular, Wisconsin’s offensive line. That’s a whole lot of beef that would be pretty tough for even the best offensive line to push around.

Until Brown is game ready, at least 1 freshman will be needed to fill out the 3 deep. An injury or 2 puts them in the 2 deep. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if 1 of the frosh passed up Joseph on the depth chart. It would be rare to have an injury free year at the position. So yes, definitely 1, likely both.

some great comments from MIller may give insight (on 724):

On freshman defensive end Jayson Oweh: "His ceiling is crazy. I didn't even know that he only played two years (in high school), so when I found out... [Miller takes a moment to express amazement on his face]. He's got everything. He's runs like a 4.4 (40-yard dash). He's got everything. You can tell that he (is still new to football) so once he gets everything together he's gonna be a monster. .... I just stay on his hip, keep him with me, coach him up and tell him stuff that I went through just to help him along the way."

On redshirt sophomore defensive end Shaka Toney and sophomore defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos: "Shaka got bigger (6-foot-3, 241 pounds), Yetur keeps growing (6-5, 262 pounds). Their games are getting better. You can just see it. We put in a lot of work this summer. Everything we put in in the summer is showing right now so I'm not surprised."
Lots of other good comments on the LBers and DT's as well.

Honestly, I expect to see pretty much every true freshman this year...some exceptions obviously but most will play IMO

Honestly, I expect to see pretty much every true freshman this year...some exceptions obviously but most will play IMO
totally agree. This is in part of a) the new true fr rules b) with a better program, kids leaving early for the NFL and c) its part of recruiting now (promising four and five star kids they'll play immediately).

Really think Joseph showed very well in limited opportunities last year. Seems he was behind some other young guys based on practice performances which earned him fewer snaps but he seemed to really produce in those very limited snaps. Maybe he's just a gamer?

Really think Joseph showed very well in limited opportunities last year. Seems he was behind some other young guys based on practice performances which earned him fewer snaps but he seemed to really produce in those very limited snaps. Maybe he's just a gamer?
JF said some positive things about Joseph 8/15, and I expect we’ll see a lot more of him this season with Buchholz hanging up his cleats.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Oweh is too light to be effective at this point.
Bigger than Shaka Toney who's listed at 241, but that's probably optimistic. I think Joseph's listed weight is in the 230s. Oweh's heavier than both.

Bigger than Shaka Toney who's listed at 241, but that's probably optimistic. I think Joseph's listed weight is in the 230s. Oweh's heavier than both.
Yeah, at 6’5, 247 Oweh’s only about 10 pounds lighter than Shareef Miller is. He’s plenty heavy to contribute, he just has an otherworldly frame to put weight onto.

Haven't seen this much talent and depth at DE postion in very long time if ever at PSU. Franklin has done a great job recruiting that position.
Bummer Buchholz is done, he was probably the best all around DE last year.

Will Tarburton or Oweh get the call to not redshirt.....?
(Or will they play within the new redshirt rules)

Both might play but both will redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT