ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody familiar with Sling TV?

Nittany123

Nov 29, 2014
$20 per month and you get to stream the ESPN channels plus 20 some others. Beats the heck out of paying what DTV charges.

I got it just for the fall football season, you can cancel anytime but will still pay for the whole month you are currently in. So far no complaints. Right now you can pay for three months in advance and get a ROKU stick, which you'll want unless you have a competitor device in order to watch on your TV. I already have Roku's so I haven't tried the stick yet. An antenna will likley get you your local channels, no BTN - no problem, If you really wanted to watch something on it you could likely find someone who has BTN and figure out a way to watch it....

Whaaany (and others who have it) - any issue with buffering? I would love to move to this model but am worried of constant buffering, like I sometimes experience with Netflix.

I was concerned about buffering as well. My brother has had it for about 3 months and hasn't had any problems at all. I've only had it for about 2 weeks (I did cut the cord about 3 years ago and have had an antenna and a few Roku's) and I haven't had any major issues. The channel I had had a buffering issue with is ESPN, it seems that when I first put it on that channel the pic quality is horrible, but then bufffers itself in to HD quality after about 3-4 minutes and will stay that way as long as I stay on the channel. During the game yesterday there were a few times when the video got a little choppy. I'm not sure if that was sling or ESPN as the video was choppy for a bit, but the audio was fine and the commercials were fine while this was going on. I also only have DSL and receive the signal through wifi into my Roku. My brother has a cable connection and has no problems. They have a 7 day free trial so you can try out your connection. There is a media player (free) you have to download to watch on your PC, I believe there is an app to watch on a phone/tablet. I figured it only cost me $20 for three months since I got a $40 roku stick (which I was going to buy anyway - and you can use whether you have sling or not) for prepaying 3 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT